It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• Hair burns within seconds!!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
    MG0789
    (female)

MG0789 HB User
    Hair burns within seconds!!

My hair has always been quite healthy - despite everything i have put it through over the years! - however, nearly a year ago I went to my regular salon for a standard wash cut blow dry. The stylist preceded to use a very very old pair of hair straighteners (i know this because they were definitely NOT ceramic or titanium) which completely frazzled my hair on contact!!
    A bit of back story - i have been using straighteners on my hair since i was about 12 and i have never ever had this problem before (i am now 30).
    Now, i am unable to use ANY heat on my hair as it gets completely singed on contact. I have had multiple hair cuts over the past year but nothing seems to work and im very worried this damage is irreparable
    Does anyone else have this problem or have any advice for how i can fix this please?

My hair is very thick, curly and frizzy - i have learned to embrace my natural hair, but it doesnt always look great for a night out!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Hair burns within seconds!!

Dear MG,

It may be that some of the damaged hair still remains, unless you had your head shaved, which it seems that didn't happen. Hair usually typically grows something like 1/2 in. per month. Has all of the previously damaged hair been trimmed off?

Usually there is no way to restore very damaged hair and we need to trim that off. Trimming gradually is fine, but if any damaged hair remains we can expect that hair to be difficult to deal with.

Aging and diet also affects hair quality. You can do a little research about diet for healthy hair. The effects of diet on hair is also a very slow process. A friend did change her hair quality by diet but it took at least a year for her newly grown hair to really get strong and look healthy. It did not affect the hair she previously had grown.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Hair burns within seconds!!

Unfortunately, damaged hair has to grow out...there is no real cure. Good conditioning treatments can help the appearance- and both salons and drug stores can recommend products to help- but they are temporary and usually wash out.

Cutting the damaged hair off and allowing new hair growth is the only way it will grow back in healthy.

You can look into taking hair vitamins- bioten and keratin are too good ones which can help your hair grow in stronger and faster...

It sounds like the person who did this just didn't know how to straighten your hair- the device was not the problem, she didnt move it quickly enough through your hair and allowed your hair to get singed. I am very sorry this happened to you.

Reply Reply

« Redness in scalp | - »