It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• Wavy & straight hair on the same head!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2003, 06:16 AM   #1
    Jo-chan
    (female)

Jo-chan HB User
    Wavy & straight hair on the same head!

I have a very annoying problem with my hair, and I'm wondering if anyone has the same problem and/or has found a good solution.

My hair was straight when I was a child, but as an adult it's become wavy only in the back. The top and sides of my hair are still straight. I usually straighten the back to match the rest of my hair. I'm wondering if only part of my hair is wavy because of a vitamin or mineral deficiency or some other factor I'm not aware of, and I'd love it if ALL of my hair were wavy.

Here's a little bit about me: I take a multivitamin every day and have been for several years. I have seborheic dermatitis on my face and scalp so I use Head & Shoulders every other day. I am a 31-year-old female and the wavyness started appearing in the back of my hair about 10 years ago. It started out as just a very slight wave but gradually got more wavy over the years.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

The following user gives a hug of support to Jo-chan:
    krysiarose (10-14-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2003, 07:29 PM   #2
    Ashizzle
    Inactive

Ashizzle HB User
    You could try getting a body perm. It wouldn't be a kinky curl or anything, but maybe it will give it just enough boost to where you won't have the straight then waviness...just a suggestion

Old 11-11-2003, 07:53 PM   #3
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User
    Smile

Hi,

I have the EXACT same problem! I've also always had straight hair and then about ten or so years ago, it started to get wavy in the back and right side. Nobody knows what this could be from. Here's what has helped me...this summer, I had this temporary straightener put in. It worked really well. I don't know what it's called, but I know it's gentle on your hair. My hair wasn't damaged at all by it. I've also noticed that when my hair started to get curly, it was also very dry and I didn't know how to deal with that. I've found that a high end moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and leave-in conditioner works for me. I don't know how much info I can give you, but I get it on T.V. Hope this helps a little.

Sharon

Old 11-12-2003, 08:11 AM   #4
    Jo-chan
    (female)

Jo-chan HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sharon1030
    Hi,

I have the EXACT same problem!
    Sharon
    It's helpful to know that someone else is dealing with this, too. I will check into the hair straightening stuff...do you know what brand it is, or can you give me any more info about it that might be helpful? How long did it last (how long did your hair stay straight)?

My own theory about my hair is that it's hormone related. I believe I may have hypothyroidism, which I've posted about in the Thyroid Disorders forum here, and perhaps my underactive thyroid is causing my hair to only be partially wavy when it be all wavy with a normal thyroid.

I'm curious Sharon...do you have any thyroid problems? I'm wondering what the common factor is between us that's caused us to have the same problem.

Old 11-12-2003, 08:40 AM   #5
    Dazed_n_Confused

Dazed_n_Confused HB User
    Hey everyone, I too have the same problem. But here's my story. I had pin straight black hair till I was 10. I decided I wanted a perm like all the other girls, it was the in thing in the 80's. The perm was awesome for a day. Then the next day it disappeared. 2 years later, as I'm admiring a friends tight curls, my own hair started going wavy, within a year I had tight tight curls, and my hair turned a redy brown color. My hair stylist told me it was related to horomonal changes that were taking place, but I still believe it was me wishing I had curly hair! haha... As for the half straight half curly, wow i don't know. Using a really hot straightening iron would work to get out the wavyness. This is going to sound silly, but I find using an actual iron works better and lasts longer than any hair straightener I've ever tried.

Old 11-12-2003, 08:01 PM   #6
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User
    Smile

Hi!

As a matter of fact...I do have hypothyroidism!! I've been on meds for about six or seven years for that. I have Type I diabetes a, nd they often go hand-in-hand. I don't know the name of the straightener, but I'm going to have my hair done next weekend so I'll ask. I think it's stil working and it's four months later. Like I said, I really think it has something to do with the REALLY good shampoo and conditioners I use-T.V. I really don't know how much more I can tell you. Don't want to get kicked off. It's hydrating shampoo and conditioner and for some reason, that has helped along with the straightening stuff I told you about. Even if I got the name of the straightening stuff for you, I don't know if I'd be allowed to tell you. I'd have to find out. I know we're not supposed to post names of products. If I were you, I'd ask your hair person about it-it's a very mild product that comes in three formulas depending on how coarse your hair is. They used the least strong one on me and it helped a lot. It's kind of like when you get a perm. I couldn't wash it for three days and it kind of smelled like the perm stuff. I would definitely do it again if I had to. I am fanatical about the health of my hair. I would never do anything that might harm it and I'm telling you...this stuff didn't harm it at all. I hope this helps you. I know I couldn't give you any specifics--sorry about that.

Sharon

Old 11-13-2003, 07:01 AM   #7
    Jo-chan
    (female)

Jo-chan HB User
    Well, it sounds like our hair issues may indeed have something to do with hormones. After the first of the year I'm going back to my doctor to have more thorough tests for hypothyroidism done.

I recently bought a flat iron to straighten the back of my hair, but I still use a large-barrell curling iron to straighten it sometimes, too. Using the curling iron gives it a little more body than using the flat iron. Lately I've been feeling too lazy to straighten the wavy part at all and I just put my hair in a ponytail.

Thanks for the info about the straightening product, Sharon.

Old 11-13-2003, 07:07 PM   #8
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User
    Smile

You're very welcome. I wish I could help you more though. I also use a curling iron to straighten-sounds weird, but works. I also noticed that if I wash my hair at night, the next morning it's not as curly. I've been thinking that it could be related to the thyroid too, but I've been on Synthroid for a long time so my levels are normal again so I would think that if my hair was curly because of that, it would have gone back to normal, but no. Who knows? Good luck with your's.

Sharon

Old 11-14-2003, 06:08 AM   #9
    MelNor
    (female)

MelNor HB User
    My hair was always straight too and after I had my daughter it went really curly in parts, I assume it is right to say it is a hormonal thing. I just get a body perm now, it is easier than fighting with the curly parts to get them straight.

Closed Thread