It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• Fine shedding hair!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2004, 04:25 PM   #1
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User
    Fine shedding hair!

Hi everyone. I am 40 years old and have past the shoulder length hair. My hair is ver fine, but, I have alot of it. Does anyone experience so much shedding after a hair wash that you can run your hands down the hair and have so much come out? It's probably not as bad as I make it sound, but I can pull out small clumps of like knotted up hair. Is this unusual? My hairdresser says that we lose about 100 strands of hair a day, but, I don't know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
    Kaycee41
    (female)

Kaycee41 HB User
    Re: Fine shedding hair!

Wow, you just described my hair! I'm 44 and have long hair. The hairs are very, very thin and I have to be very careful because my hair damages very easy. I have a lot of hair so people look at me funny when I say I have thin hair, but I mean the hair "shaft" are thin. I too seem to lose a lot of hair when I wash or comb it. It seems to fall out more when I have gone through any body-change such as losing weight or going on birth control pills. Guess it's normal for me. I use to worry that I was going to go bald, but it never seems to get so thin that it's noticable.

Old 01-08-2004, 05:19 PM   #3
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kaycee41
    Wow, you just described my hair! I'm 44 and have long hair. The hairs are very, very thin and I have to be very careful because my hair damages very easy. I have a lot of hair so people look at me funny when I say I have thin hair, but I mean the hair "shaft" are thin. I too seem to lose a lot of hair when I wash or comb it. It seems to fall out more when I have gone through any body-change such as losing weight or going on birth control pills. Guess it's normal for me. I use to worry that I was going to go bald, but it never seems to get so thin that it's noticable.
    Do you really think that being on the B/C pill makes the hair shed more?

Old 01-09-2004, 06:54 AM   #4
    Kaycee41
    (female)

Kaycee41 HB User

It did for me. About 2-3 months after starting the pills, I noticed that I had much more shedding. It lasted a few months, then started slowing down. I had to change brands of BC because I was getting alot of "break-through bleeding" during the month. When I started taking the different brand of BC pills...same thing happened...started shedding more hair a few months after starting. Now I'm back to normal. I think we might notice hair lose more because we have long hair. It's harder to miss a foot-long hair in the sink or on your pillow.

Old 01-09-2004, 02:15 PM   #5
    silverandgold
    (female)

silverandgold HB User

Well, I have the same problem too! I have hair past my shoulders and I shed like crazy. My hair is fine, and with the amount that I lose per day, you would think I would be bald. In the shower, I lose a bunch of hair. Just running conditioner through my hair leaves me with a handful of hairs. Then when I comb my hair our (no matter HOW gentle I am) I lose more. I can just run my fingers through my dry hair and come out with a bunch of strands. I didn't know if my hair was breaking off or what? Yet I don't have any bald spots or anything. I am 35, not on birth control or any medication at all. I know they say 100-150 hairs per day is normal, but it really does look like I lose a LOT more than that. My ex-boyfriend used to call my hairbrush my "pet" because there was so much hair in it before I cleaned it out. When I would pull all the hair out of the brush, I could sew a clip on it and sell it as a hairpiece!

The following user gives a hug of support to silverandgold:
    tiffana (03-28-2011)
    Old 01-09-2004, 09:39 PM   #6
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by silverandgold
    Well, I have the same problem too! I have hair past my shoulders and I shed like crazy. My hair is fine, and with the amount that I lose per day, you would think I would be bald. In the shower, I lose a bunch of hair. Just running conditioner through my hair leaves me with a handful of hairs. Then when I comb my hair our (no matter HOW gentle I am) I lose more. I can just run my fingers through my dry hair and come out with a bunch of strands. I didn't know if my hair was breaking off or what? Yet I don't have any bald spots or anything. I am 35, not on birth control or any medication at all. I know they say 100-150 hairs per day is normal, but it really does look like I lose a LOT more than that. My ex-boyfriend used to call my hairbrush my "pet" because there was so much hair in it before I cleaned it out. When I would pull all the hair out of the brush, I could sew a clip on it and sell it as a hairpiece!
    Well, at least I am not alone in all of this!

Old 01-10-2004, 10:22 AM   #7
    suziqsa

suziqsa HB User

Im almost 16, and have also been experiencing hair loss. It was a lot worse in October and so on, but it is still falling out. Why? I did loose about 15 pounds, but now i gained back about 10, and feel great.. i look the same, its just the stupid scale that has changed. But that doesnt worry me, any more. It did a lot before. I am wondering why my hair wont stop falling out,.. i mean, i eat normally, i excerciese a lot, and im very happy! Is it just a phase, and i shouldnt worry about it? Right now, well a week ago i started taking a natural progesterone cream, and using it in the morning and at night. my mom says it might balance my hormones, maybe the hair loss is caused by hormones. Also, I'm only 5'4, and I am suppose to be much taller, from the height of my parents. I was always taller than all of my friends, but now im the shortest one.. .. do you think i caused myself to stay short by loosing weight? Will i grow again? Because i never want to loose that much weight again, no one cares, no one even noticed. Any advice, please... i want to stop buggin my mom about this.
    Thank you. Suzi

Old 01-13-2004, 08:12 AM   #8
    missouri gal

missouri gal HB User

Silverandgold you just described the same thing I have been going through. I am beginning to wonder if I am going to be bald someday(I would rather die first). I am 36. It is bad enough to have fine hair!!!!!!

Closed Thread