HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Hair Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/hair-problems/)
-   -   PANTENE Pro-V is not a good hair product! (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/hair-problems/146815-pantene-pro-v-not-good-hair-product.html)

Just-A-Boy 02-02-2004 03:12 AM

PANTENE Pro-V is not a good hair product!

[B]In my personal experiences with hair care products I learned a lot of my mistakes, and now even my best friend who is professional hair colorist has taught me, what hair products to use, and I've seen improvements. Moreover, I want to share my opinions with you people.

First off, PANTENE Pro-V is advertised everywhere. On TV's and Magazines. However, PANTENE Pro-V is not a good hair product WHY? Because it only contains Pathenol (Vitamin B5) and that is about it.

Other over-counter shampoos and conditiners we buy at the drug stores, are no different from Pantene Pro-V, they all contain Panthenol, and maybe even two herbal extracts.

My hair always felt dry, and damaged… so I turned to my best friend, and she recommended salon brand shampoos and conditioners. Therefore, I tried all Organic Shampoo that contained NO Alcohol, and my hair improved so much after using it. It was not dry any longer, and I finally had control.

I also learned to buy conditioners that contained Amino Acids, and/or Glucose and good potent herbal extracts. YOUR HAIR NEEDS PROTEIN! I know Salon brand products are expensive, but I personally think they are worth the price.

I hope this article was helpful… and any one wants to share their experiences on Professional Hair Care products, will be gratefully appreciated.[/B]

chloe33 02-07-2004 03:57 PM

Re: PANTENE Pro-V is not a good hair product!

pantene pro v is a great product to use maybe its not if ur a boy but for girls its great. it makes my hair stronger and smooth and it glistens in the sun . it does not damage my hair. My aunts a professional hair stylist and she told me that it works great and it does

MoonlightFlame 02-15-2004 09:10 PM

[QUOTE=chloe33]pantene pro v is a great product to use maybe its not if ur a boy but for girls its great. it makes my hair stronger and smooth and it glistens in the sun . it does not damage my hair. My aunts a professional hair stylist and she told me that it works great and it does[/QUOTE]

My mom's hair stylist and mine both say it's a bad product. Yes, it makes your hair nice and pretty, I loved it. But what it really does is break your hair down, so when you stop using it, your hair is really damaged.

Leanea 02-19-2004 01:16 AM

I agree that Pantene Pro-V is an awful product!!! I used to use it and it took me two years to find out it was killing my hair. My hair went from shiny, silky, soft to lifeless, rough-feeling, and tangled! Plus it was falling out sooo much!!! All that stopped when I switched to products by Kerastase! So, now I don't ever use Pantene! But, I can't afford Kerastase in general...so I try other brands that are cheaper. For a few months I've been happy enough using Down Under Naturals. I like the Papaya scented for damaged hair. Yes, now I have to get the kind for damaged hair all because Pantene damaged my hair!!! What's interesting though is how much Pantene is advertised and how many people say they love it! I don't get it....At least I'm not crazy, since there are many others who agree that it sucks!!! :D

Girlie19 02-19-2004 06:13 AM

[B]I agree, pantene sux!! When i used it it gave me severe backne and my back is flawless otherwise.[/B]

hollandlop 02-20-2004 06:30 PM

I used to use Pantene. It dried my hair more even though I used their moisturizing line. I recommend Infusium. Their shampoo and conditioner made my hair softer. Although the ends are still kind of dry due to coloring. But I think the only way for me to get rid of that is to cut it. But overall I did see a difference in my hair after I used Infusium.

QtrHrsMomma 02-22-2004 02:56 PM

Pantene is actually one of my favorite store bought shampoos and conditioners. I have naturally curly hair that get dyed every so often and Pantene keeps it soft and shiny.

The only thing I have a problem with is itchy scalp - now I don't have dandruff at all - just my scalp gets itchy if I don't wash my hair everyday - which really isn't good for your hair. I recently tried a different shampoo - Joico - and thought that my scalp itchiness might go away - but it didn't - and to tell you the truth I liked the way my hair felt with the Pantene Curly more than Joico!!

One of my salon faves is Redken with Avocado oil. Its a nice one.

I don't know which ones aren't good for your hair or not. I use what works bet for ME - so I can't say whether its good for someone else or not.

Of course a salon or stylists are not going to push/promote drugstore products either. LOL Thats understandable. I find some salon shampoos/conditioners suck just as I find some drugstore brands suck. Funny though cause many salon brands are now sold in drugstores. :)

TruthaboutLife 03-03-2004 06:52 AM

Any reputable hairdresser would tell you that Pantene is a cr*p product to put on your hair. It might make your hair look good short term, but long term it's disastrous for your hair.

Jenn123456 03-03-2004 09:24 AM

[QUOTE=TruthaboutLife]Any reputable hairdresser would tell you that Pantene is a cr*p product to put on your hair. It might make your hair look good short term, but long term it's disastrous for your hair.[/QUOTE]

Pantene Pro-V did so much damage to my hair and scalp!! It made my hair and scalp VERY dry. It may make your hair look good, but like the previous poster stated It disastrous. It also made my hair fall out.

Brundage 12-08-2004 08:24 AM

My hairdresser was never addamently aggainst Pantene, but he was definitely not a fan. My sister and I both got dandruff from the line. I loved the way my hair looked when I used the volumizing conditioner, but the itchy scalp and dandruff were not worth it.

Sing Blue Silver 12-08-2004 08:34 AM

Ive always believed that Pantene Pro- v over time, causes build up on your hair , because of all the 'additives' or whatever they put in it.

i stopped using it after a bit :confused: . My hair feels damaged now, or thoroughly 'oxidised' . Im yet to find a good shampoo which is natural, and repiras it, organic shampoo sounds like a good choice. Is there any shampoo nowadays that doesnt have anything 'added' to it? They never used to

Saw a 'White Truffle' Luxury shampoo on the net the other week costing nearly £100.00!!! :eek:

siren1024 12-08-2004 10:00 AM

I agree.... if you do an archives search on this board, you'll find the topic "I hate Pantene!!" where I griped about it wrecking my hair. I have naturally curly hair and used the moisturizing line. Disasterous. You're absolutely right about it being the build up. Pantene is full of stuff to coat your hair to make it LOOK healthy and shiny. This build up eventually blocks all necessary moisture from penetrating the hair shaft. It's a terrible product.

For dry hair I recommend Redken All Soft. I love that line. I also love Ouidad's line for curly hair. Pricey, but very worth it.

hobogirl 12-09-2004 08:45 AM

I disagree. I have used Pantene in the past and it worked great on my hair. I used it for years. I am currently using Dove which I like but I see no difference in my hair and I color my hair. I think that it is just a matter of what you like.

Audrey-B 12-09-2004 11:33 PM

I have heard that it is the worst for build up on hair. I have never used it or bought it as i don't believe the price is worth it. I don't know how much it costs over in the States, but here in Australia i consider it to be expensive for just some old shampoo you can purchase at the supermarket.

I buy Schwarzkopf products and also try to give regular shampoos a miss and use natural shampoos which contain no detergents in them such as sodium laural/laureth sulphates.

moldypotato 12-10-2004 06:47 PM

Personally I use pantene classic care shampoo and classic care condition and I am a man. I have used it for about a year and a half. Nothing has destroyed it to my knowledge. I have I guess thick hair for how short it is and it has curls on the bangs which some women I know think it's cute. I used to have large thick hair which is growing quite well, quick, and easy. Trust me I am the kind of guy that some times takes 2 hours or more to spike his whole head in the perfect sharp looking liberty spikes and other crazy spikey hairdo's. Having a whole head of pomade in your hair and getting it out if a pain in the arse, not to mention the pulling it takes even making the spikes. I feel that this product works perfectly well.

Btw, my hair is shiny and a lightish/kind of dark brown with a small orange tint in some places, very soft, and people love to rub it during the normal hair mode...

I guess we are all different.