It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• Holy cow! Dandruff or lice?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2004, 07:59 PM   #1
    anilorak
    (female)

anilorak HB User
    Red face Holy cow! Dandruff or lice?

I've been using dandruff shampoos for over a year now, thinking I had dandruff. But.. it never really goes away. Also.. I don't really get flakes. My scalp is actually kind of oily and the "dandruff" is small, white (more 3d than flat flakes) and kind of sticks to my hair. I'm 20 years old, have no contact with kids and take regular showers. Could I really have lice? Please, please help me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2004, 06:31 AM   #2
    maak823
    Inactive

maak823 HB User
    Re: Holy cow! Dandruff or lice?

You probably have something called seborrhea, my daughter has it- try some shampoo with Tea Tree Oil in it- Paul Mitchell makes a good one- it is a drying oil, so helps the skin condition without harming your hair. Lice are found at the nape of the neck most generally and if you had them, you would know it, the "nits" or eggs stick to the shaft of the hair and must be removed with a small lice removing comb, they will not shake out they must be pulled off the hair.

Old 03-03-2004, 06:55 AM   #3
    TruthaboutLife
    Inactive

TruthaboutLife HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anilorak
    I've been using dandruff shampoos for over a year now, thinking I had dandruff. But.. it never really goes away. Also.. I don't really get flakes. My scalp is actually kind of oily and the "dandruff" is small, white (more 3d than flat flakes) and kind of sticks to my hair. I'm 20 years old, have no contact with kids and take regular showers. Could I really have lice? Please, please help me.

Best way to tell if you have head lice is to go to the local pharmacy and ask to buy an electronic lice hair comb. The comb is battery operated and makes a slight high pitched sound when going through the hair. The only time the sound stops is when it hits an egg or the actual lice. The electronic waves also ensure that it electrocutes the lice/eggs on contact.

Another sure fire way to tell is....are you itching?

Again recommend Tea Tree Oil for lice!

Last edited by TruthaboutLife; 03-03-2004 at 06:56 AM.

Old 03-09-2004, 06:32 PM   #4
    princessputter
    (female)

princessputter HB User

You donot have lice... lice are brown their eggs and nits are white... i agree with maak.. about the tea tree oil...also applying seabreeze to ur scalp 3 times a week and combing it to loosen the build up.. will help alot.. once u notice the prollem clearing up lessen the seabreeze.. I am a hairstylist..ive seen this in a few of my clients...mostly in young childrenalso make sure the shampoo u are using is PH balenced.. if not it could be causing ur scalp to build up more oils.. id recomend throwing away ur dandruff shampoo..get the tea tree or use the seabreeze..and use a normal daily.. PH balanced shampoo

They saw a child "in a world of his own". I see the most the most brilliant star. They saw a child "who may never speak". I see a gift that didn't need words. They saw a child with "limited possibility". I see a child, my child, who can soar past the sky.

mommy to Ryan and countless foster children...

Closed Thread