It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• Hair removal?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2004, 01:19 PM   #1
    DzzRed66
    (female)

DzzRed66 HB User
    Hair removal?????

Ok, besides the razor...what is the best, irritation free, long lasting on removing hair. Removing hair from upper lip, bikini area, legs????

Tried results please....found out, no razor on bikini area, broke out...

DzzRed66

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 02:02 PM   #2
    Katyana
    Veteran
    (female)

Katyana HB User
    Re: Hair removal?????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DzzRed66
    Ok, besides the razor...what is the best, irritation free, long lasting on removing hair. Removing hair from upper lip, bikini area, legs????

Tried results please....found out, no razor on bikini area, broke out...

DzzRed66

There is no "irritation free" way to remove hair. Even electrolysis will cause irritation if you have sensitive skin.

The methods of hair removal you have are as follows:

Shaving: grows back feeling stubbly because you have cut the hair at a thick area and it's lost it's tapered end. Shaving doesn't make you grow more hair or thicker hair. Shaving also can cause "burns" and ingrown hairs as they grow out.

Electrolysis: permanent, but expensive. The method alters the chemical balance of the folicle where the hair grows and kills the hair root allowing for easy removal and makes the folicle inhospitable to a new hair growing. Each hair grows at a different rate, so when you think you have killed a hair, and one grows back in what seems like the same spot, it's just a different hair that was in a different stage of hair growth when you were treated. It can take months to get an area hair free. And the treatments can end up costing thousands of dollars before you get that goal.

Laser: I've heard some say it's permanent, but some of the one's where I live don't advertise it as that and say it's not permanent. Again costly, and requires repeat visits, and it also irritates the skin. Each person reacts differently to it. Dark haired, fair skinned people tend to take to it better than light haired people for some reason and have better results.

Waxing: Not permanent, but long lasting. The hair is ripped out by the root and when it grows back, it's soft and downy as the tapered end is intact, so you don't get that stubbly look. If used regularly, some of the areas can and do become permanently hair free after awhile, but that takes years to achieve. I've been plucking and removing my eye brow hair for years, and I rarely have to pluck a hair anymore (maybe 3 hairs once a year). Waxing works great on coarse hair like chin, upperlip, pubic area. It's applied hot and can cause the skin to become red from the heat. The skin also becomes red from the trauma of ripping the hair out. The wax also adheres to the skin so when it's removed, it can irritate the skin that way too. You need to have considerable length to the hair to get waxing done, which means that you have hairy areas for weeks between treatments. When growing in, hair can still become ingrown but you won't have that razor burn and stubble that you get from shaving. Depending on hair growth rate, areas can be hair free for several weeks.

Body Sugaring: Similar to waxing in that it removes the hair by the root. It's different though. It's applied warm, not hot. It doesn't stick to the skin so it doesn't irritate the skin that way when it's removed. With waxing you have to rush to apply the material to remove the hair and wax. With sugaring you don't. It's a different substance and doesn't dry. It's just ultra ultra sticky. It's great for all hairy areas except men's facial hair, and the coarse chin and upper lip hair that some ladies get. Initially the hair has to be about 1cm long. After that it can be very short (it will remove the peach fuzz from a peach). When growing in, hair can still become ingrown, but less likely than with waxing, and you won't have that razor burn and stubble that you get from shaving. Depending on hair growth rate, areas can be hair free for several weeks. It's edible and can be served over ice cream when in a pinch

I use the body sugaring method, and have been using it since 1996. I use it on all areas of my body including brows, arm pits, legs, toes, arms, bikini (for my lip and chin hair I just use a home wax kit because some of the hair is coarse and resistant to sugaring). I've even done my brother's back a few times. I use Alexandria Body Sugaring or NADS. Both are good and both are made from 100% natural ingredients, are both edible. I bought mine initially from a home shopping channel, but after using it and getting the hang of the texture and stuff, I learned to make my own through trial and error. I've seen the Alexandria Body Sugaring in some stores too. Or you might be able to buy it online. I would never go back to shaving or anything else. A friend at work has been using sugar to remove hair for years too. She said it's the preferred method of hair removal in the country she was born in. She uses only melted sugar then adds a wee bit of fresh squeezed lemon juice then leaves it to cool down to warm before using it, but when I tried her method, I either got syrup, burnt sugar or rock candy, LOL If you do decide to try it, buy the product first so you can see the consistancy and get the directions. It's not complicated, but there are certain techniques that need to be followed or you won't have any success with sugaring at all. Once you get the hang of sugaring and decide it's for you, then go and try and make it othewise you won't have a clue as to what you are striving for.

Old 03-31-2004, 11:55 AM   #3
    Falynsmommy
    Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User
    Re: Hair removal?????

There is also a Sally Hanson creme hair remover that is very good. My mom has been using it for years on her unwanted facial hair and has never had a problem with irritation. You apply it and let it sit for about 10 minutes then wipe it and the hair away. She too had tried everything (waxing, tweezing, etc.) but she loves this product. If you try it, be sure to do a patch test on a small part of your skin first to make sure you won't have any kind of allergic reaction to it. Good luck.

Closed Thread