It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• Lice or what?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2004, 08:25 PM   #1
    Swalk

Swalk HB User
    Lice or what?????

My daughter is 8 and her scalp has been itching for weeks, I check it everyday and see nothing so someone told me her head may be dry to use hot oil so Ive been doing that.
    A few days ago I found a bug in her head, it was long skinny black bug, then I started looking and saw a few lil tiny tiny bugs in the very back at the neck line they almost looked like TINY spiders. I saw no white eggs, I treated her for lice but I see no white eggs, I did see a few white specs that could or could not be dry skin.
    Ive never had lice and Ive looked it up on line and the pictures they show are not what was in her hair so I have no clue. HELP.
    She had been playing outside all day ane thats when I found these bugs in her hair, since I did the treatment her scalp is not so itchy, does anyone know if this is lice or not?
    Ive used that lil comb and I see a few lil black dots that are in the sink but could this just be dirt from her scalp or what???

Has anyone use mayo to treat lice??? Ive read that works, how I dont know.. weird.
    Any ideas? thanks!

Last edited by Swalk; 04-25-2004 at 09:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 12:16 PM   #2
    maak823
    Inactive

maak823 HB User
    Re: Lice or what?????

Lice, after they have just hatched- look like what you describe- almost like tiny gnats. As they grow, they turn white, the eggs or "nits" are white and cling to the hair shaft, they are often found behind the ears and at the nape of the neck.

The only way to effectively treat them is to get a Shampoo that is exactly for this purpose- the mayo thing will not work.

Also, you will need to treat her again exactly 2 weeks to the day that you treated her the first time. That is the incubation time for the eggs- you will also need to treat / spray / wash everything in your house and your car, it is a total pain in the butt- but is the only thing that works. If it can't be washed you will need to seal it in a plastic bag for 2 weeks in order to make sure there are no lice on it.

You can buy bug bombs for your house as well to get the areas that can not be washed, etc.

I feel for you- been there, done it.

Good Luck!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swalk
    My daughter is 8 and her scalp has been itching for weeks, I check it everyday and see nothing so someone told me her head may be dry to use hot oil so Ive been doing that.
    A few days ago I found a bug in her head, it was long skinny black bug, then I started looking and saw a few lil tiny tiny bugs in the very back at the neck line they almost looked like TINY spiders. I saw no white eggs, I treated her for lice but I see no white eggs, I did see a few white specs that could or could not be dry skin.
    Ive never had lice and Ive looked it up on line and the pictures they show are not what was in her hair so I have no clue. HELP.
    She had been playing outside all day ane thats when I found these bugs in her hair, since I did the treatment her scalp is not so itchy, does anyone know if this is lice or not?
    Ive used that lil comb and I see a few lil black dots that are in the sink but could this just be dirt from her scalp or what???

Has anyone use mayo to treat lice??? Ive read that works, how I dont know.. weird.
    Any ideas? thanks!

Old 04-26-2004, 06:42 PM   #3
    Swalk

Swalk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maak823
    Lice, after they have just hatched- look like what you describe- almost like tiny gnats. As they grow, they turn white, the eggs or "nits" are white and cling to the hair shaft, they are often found behind the ears and at the nape of the neck.

The only way to effectively treat them is to get a Shampoo that is exactly for this purpose- the mayo thing will not work.

Also, you will need to treat her again exactly 2 weeks to the day that you treated her the first time. That is the incubation time for the eggs- you will also need to treat / spray / wash everything in your house and your car, it is a total pain in the butt- but is the only thing that works. If it can't be washed you will need to seal it in a plastic bag for 2 weeks in order to make sure there are no lice on it.

You can buy bug bombs for your house as well to get the areas that can not be washed, etc.

I feel for you- been there, done it.

Good Luck!
    Thanks for the info, r the nits tiny? hard to find???

Old 04-27-2004, 05:45 AM   #4
    maak823
    Inactive

maak823 HB User

Yes, the nits are very hard to find, they are generally at the hairline and behind the ears- and it looks like dandruff or little pieces of sand- only difference is that it sticks to the hair shaft, it won't come off unless you pull them off.

Old 04-27-2004, 03:20 PM   #5
    Swalk

Swalk HB User

thanks for the info

Old 04-27-2004, 03:27 PM   #6
    Brooke~Lynn

Brooke~Lynn HB User

take her to the peditritian and get a rx for lindane!
    it is the best stuff for lice, that over the counter stuff is ok, but this stuff with get rid of them and keep them from coming back (as long as you use it as directed) and when you do you need to shamopo your carpets and strip the bedding and wash up everything.....because they can live in all these things also!

Last edited by Brooke~Lynn; 04-27-2004 at 03:27 PM.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:18 PM   #7
    Swalk

Swalk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brooke~Lynn
    take her to the peditritian and get a rx for lindane!
    it is the best stuff for lice, that over the counter stuff is ok, but this stuff with get rid of them and keep them from coming back (as long as you use it as directed) and when you do you need to shamopo your carpets and strip the bedding and wash up everything.....because they can live in all these things also!

Thanks for the info I looked up lindane and it sounds scary, have you used on kids? how old?
    They can live in the carpet??? YUKKKKKK this is totally freaking me out.
    I have found a few nits in her head and will retreat her in 7 days like it says I stripped everything down and Ive been cleaning like crazy, I treated me and my hubby eventhough we have nothing. I have bad anxiety and this is not making things any better!
    If I vacum and clean my carpet will that kill them???
    Can my cat get them?

Old 04-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #8
    Brooke~Lynn

Brooke~Lynn HB User

i am sooooo sorry to cause you any more anxiety, i have OCD so i know all about anxiety...
    yes they can jump out of the hair and be in the house....but dont go nuts....(i know that isnt easy)
    my mom used lindane on me and my brother quite a few times when we were little, you just have to use it as directed....dont leave it on any longer than it says to
    (believe me, my fiances' mom used keroscene on his siter! not a good idea as she figured out after the 2 YEAR OLD began screaming!!!! but she is fine now at 24 years old...)
    lol so i am sure lindane will be fine.
    and again i didnt mean to scare you, but lice does not stay in one place, they will get in sheets and carpet and then back in the hair of whoever lays there....lice can aslo jump quite far off a childs head onto alother head of hair, so i would avoid school till this is cleared up, plus if the school find out they will send her home anyway and that could embarrass your child....

Old 04-27-2004, 08:47 PM   #9
    Brooke~Lynn

Brooke~Lynn HB User

ohh and i dont know about the cat...but i imagine so since it has hair....
    and cleaning the carpet will probably have as much effect as washing her hair with regular shampoo...you need to steam clean them (if possible) (the heat will kill them) but as i said if you use the lindane one everyone in the house it will repell the lice from getting back in the hair and even if it is alive somewhere in the house it will just eventually die with no warn surface to live on

Old 04-27-2004, 08:49 PM   #10
    Swalk

Swalk HB User

Thanks the internet is great but the thing is when you put in something and start resarching the best way to do things, I just dont know which way to go. Ive heard of people back in the day using gas, my gosh that is scary!!!
    I treated her and will retreat her again this sat.

You have OCD, I know you understand my anxiety I think I have a lil bit of OCD but its more like thought rather then actions although this is my own diagnosis. haha.
    you did not make me more anxious. and I think its so silly, this is not that big of a deal but yet I sit here for a hour researching this...
    thanks again!

Old 04-27-2004, 08:53 PM   #11
    Brooke~Lynn

Brooke~Lynn HB User

yeah i wouldnt use the gas....lol (not that you would) ppl went a little nuts back in the day i think
    so what are you using anyway?

Last edited by Brooke~Lynn; 04-27-2004 at 08:54 PM.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:55 PM   #12
    Swalk

Swalk HB User

I know they were crazy but I guess they did not know what else to do!

Old 04-27-2004, 08:55 PM   #13
    Brooke~Lynn

Brooke~Lynn HB User

what is it that you are using?

Old 04-28-2004, 05:17 AM   #14
    maak823
    Inactive

maak823 HB User

I don't know anything about the Lindane but I know they can't live on your pets. Just make sure you empty and throw away your vaccuum bag. Repeat this process in exactly 2 weeks, that is when the eggs, if any are left, will hatch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swalk
    Thanks for the info I looked up lindane and it sounds scary, have you used on kids? how old?
    They can live in the carpet??? YUKKKKKK this is totally freaking me out.
    I have found a few nits in her head and will retreat her in 7 days like it says I stripped everything down and Ive been cleaning like crazy, I treated me and my hubby eventhough we have nothing. I have bad anxiety and this is not making things any better!
    If I vacum and clean my carpet will that kill them???
    Can my cat get them?

Old 04-28-2004, 03:21 PM   #15
    Swalk

Swalk HB User

thanks so much

Closed Thread