It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• what makes hair grow faster

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2004, 06:43 PM   #1
    MellyJellyBean

MellyJellyBean HB User
    Question what makes hair grow faster

Does anyone know of anything that mgiht help your hair grow faster?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2004, 10:23 PM   #2
    hollandlop
    Veteran
    (female)

hollandlop HB User
    Re: what makes hair grow faster

No. Nothing u eat or use will make your hair grow faster. That's a proven fact.
    Vitamins and good shampoos will make it healthier, but not grow faster.

Old 05-21-2004, 04:28 PM   #3
    troubledchild
    Inactive

troubledchild HB User
    Talking Re: what makes hair grow faster

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MellyJellyBean
    Does anyone know of anything that mgiht help your hair grow faster?

Hi,

My father has been taking Biotin, don't ask me why, he says and I see it that his hair and finger nails are growing faster than they ever have.

You can try that to see if it works. Just an idea.

Old 05-21-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
    b.t

b.t HB User

it's just something i heard...and it was pretty popular for a while

you can use birthcontrol pills..crush it..and put it in ur shampoo

i heard it makes you hair grow faster..but not necessarily good for ur hair

your hair may be damaged

Old 05-21-2004, 07:43 PM   #5
    Falynsmommy
    Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

Hair is dead so nothing you use as in vitamins, etc will make it grow faster. I'm a hairstylist and I can tell you the only thing that will make your hair grow is scalp stimulation. When you shampoo your hair, make sure you gently but firmly massage your scalp. Do not overstimulate it, and do not rub it too roughly because it can cause breakage. Hope this helps.

Old 05-22-2004, 07:36 PM   #6
    sanders46
    (male)

sanders46 HB User

Well why in the hell does some of my family use vitamins and it makes their hare grow faster? Maybe it just works on certain people, but it definately works around here.

Old 05-29-2004, 03:25 AM   #7
    PiNKitten

PiNKitten HB User

i use coconut oil and honey hair cream

Old 05-29-2004, 07:17 AM   #8
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

i think that every person is different. i have what i call crazy witch hair, it is all over the place, multi textured and very thick. when i started taking prenantal vitamins while prego my hair grew so fast it was amazing. i know this because of my roots. my hair was also alot harder to deal with, so i cut it off about a month before my DD. i assume it was even more wicked because of the hormones? anyway, after my son was born and i stoped the vitamins (i didn't nurse all but 6 weeks because i became gravely ill) it took almost a year to get my hair back to where it was before i cut it off. I am now on prenantal vitamins again because we are TTC and it is back to growing like a weed. i am going to try to not cut it this pregnancy (if there is one) as i really like my hair long but i get those crazy spells and cut it all off! i am hoping that the longer it gets, gravity will help tame it a little.
    C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-29-2004, 02:42 PM   #9
    Falynsmommy
    Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sanders46
    Well why in the hell does some of my family use vitamins and it makes their hare grow faster? Maybe it just works on certain people, but it definitely works around here.
    Vitamins may make a "hare" grow faster since a hare is a rabbit, but vitamins are not what is causing your family's hair to grow. Seriously, all silliness aside, this is what we were taught in school. That since hair is dead, feeding it vitamins to make it grow is like feeding a dead squirrel a vitamin in hopes that it will come back to life. If you think of it that way, it makes perfect sense. I guarantee that the vitamins are not what is making you or your family's hair grow. Ask any cosmetologist. In certain situations, including but not limited to pregnancy, hormones can cause an inbalance in the system and cause the hair to grow. Other than that, the only way to cause hair growth is scalp stimulation. Hope this helps.

Old 05-31-2004, 02:24 PM   #10
    LilMsBad

LilMsBad HB User

no actually, all you people saying that nothing can make your hair grow faster seem like horrid people who are trying to discourgae me. i take soooo many tablets and eat the right things as much as i can cos im so sad that my hair is growing slowly and what you say upsets me. and anyway, vitamins DO work.
    people who say they dont need to get their brain checked, not to mention, THEIR FACTS RIIIIGHHHHHHTTTT

Old 06-01-2004, 02:16 PM   #11
    Falynsmommy
    Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

We are not allowed to post websites on this board so I took the liberty to copy and paste this article I found on the internet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

How To Make My Hair Grow Faster
    April 2000
    Hair News Magazine
    by: Damien R. von Dahlem

In short, no pun intended, you can't. Putting pregnancy and illness aside, hair pretty much grows at a maximum rate of half an inch per month no matter what you do. A little faster in the summer than in the winter.

Of all the hair questions that we receive at [website deleted], questions regarding the speed of hair growth is by far the number one question. Many people write to us with remedies that they have heard about that will make their hair grow faster, from washing the hair with eggs, to cutting their hair during a new moon. This is what we at [website deleted] call, "Hair Voodoo".
    There is not an inch of truth to any of these remedies.

Hair is a fairly exact science called trichology and there is not much that we do not know about hair structure, chemistry and growth. Most of the Hair Voodoo out there dates back before the onset of modern science. All sorts of conclusions were drawn from what seemed like reasonable observation, but was more often than not just pure conjecture based on coincidences.

Although there is nothing that you can do to make your hair grow faster with current technology, there are a number of things that may actually slow the process such as; a poor hair care regimen, poor diet, illness, medication, male and female pattern hair loss, and emotional stress.

Some of these things don't actually affect the growth rate per se, but they affect the hair follicles health and unhealthy hair follicles will probably not grow hair to its full potential. Besides regular shampooing and conditioning with good quality products, the only other thing that you can really do is take an inexpensive daily multi vitamin such as Centrum or even Flintstones. Don't waste your money on super vitamins. Zinc and Biotin in particular seem to be good for hair and are both found in the above recommendations. Unless you are pregnant or very ill with cancer or the like, your body only requires so many vitamins per day and simply flushes out the excess. In other words, you can't put twenty gallons in a ten gallon tank.

I frequently hear of people taking pre natal pills to make their hair grow faster, even men. The reason that an expecting mother's hair may grow slower or faster has to do with hormonal activity and not the pills. So please, stop doing that.

Well, there it is. You may not like the answer, but that is the scientific facts of the matter. If you still insist on buying into the Hair Voodoo or the thousands of snake oil pitch men out there ready to separate you from your money, well, you know the expression.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see from the article, nothing will cause your hair to grow faster. All vitamins can do is keep your hair follicles healthy so they will be able to grow to their full potential. Here is another quote from a website about hair growth.

Human hair is made up primarily of proteins called keratins. It grows in a continuous cyclic pattern of growth and then rest. The three phases of growth are: Anagen (growth) phase, Catagen (degradation) phase and Telogen (resting) phase. Growth (Anagen) phase can last from 2 to 8 years, followed by a brief 2-4 week period of degradation (Catagen) in which the follicle is almost totally degraded. The resting (Telogen) phase than lasts 2-4 months. Normal shedding of hair occurs only after the next growth cycle, when a new hair shaft emerges. Most hair grows at a monthly rate of 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

New hair growth depends very much upon how much nourishment the papilla and roots receive from the bloodstream. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get sufficient blood flow to the scalp.

As it says above in bold, new hair growth depends on how much nourishment the papilla and roots receive from the bloodstream. Like I said in my previous posts, the only thing that will promote hair growth is scalp stimulation because it causes the blood in the scalp to flow.

If you still do not believe I know my facts after reading this, feel free to do your own search involving common hair myths and hair growth.

Closed Thread