It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• Hair colour, skin tone and eye colour matching

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2004, 08:04 PM   #1
    catwoman1391

catwoman1391 HB User
    Hair colour, skin tone and eye colour matching

Hi! I have a problem deciding if I am warm or cool. I have light blue-grey eyes, tan easily, and now my natural hair colour looks like a cool dark brown with some grey. My wrist veins are greeny-blue. When I was a child I had light brown hair with some red in it, as I got older my hair darkened to medium brown with red. Now I have very dark roots. Because of the grey, I want to die my hair but I don't know what colours would match me best. I look best in baby blue to teal colours, or coral. I don't look good wearing yellows, or fall greens and oranges. I thought I was a cool, but the red in my hair confuses me. Does anyone know how to tell?

Last edited by catwoman1391; 05-22-2004 at 08:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2004, 12:41 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Hair colour, skin tone and eye colour matching

Hi,

The greeny-blue wrist veins says you are most likely a warm. The blue veins and yellow undertone makes the greeny-blue colour. Are the whites of your eyes very clear or more creamy?

My wrist veins are very blue...and the whites of my eyes are creamy. Not bright. I'm a summer. You might be a spring then if you're smashing in blues and corals. Teals can be either more green or blue or even grey.....I believe teals are are a fall colour because of the muted quality of them (but I haven't checked), but since you have darker hair you could probably carry it off well. I can't wear all summer colours either....it depends on your total colouring.

I look horrible in teal colours or coral, but coral lipstick I can wear -- because it warms and brightens my pale complexion. Too much blue or purple in lipsticks actually make me look blah. I can wear lemon yellows, and possibly get away with a more light gold colour but it does wash me out a bit. I can change lipstick to feel better in it.

I would say don't worry about the red part....any brown hair would have red or gold hilights in it. The darker it is, the less hilights would be seen. As well, some people have different colours of hairs throughout their head -- some gold, some red, some brown and black. I have light/med ash brown hair with (now) grey. It's definitely ashey, but has (had) gold hilights and some red in it. I use a demipermanent colour with a cool red in it. If I use too much gold or use copper or auburn..I look very tired and washed out.

Do you have access to professional hair colours? I would suggest Redken Shades EQ. They don't lighten your natural colour, and the colours level 6 and lower blend the grey wonderfully. Shades is like a transparent colour, and for the grey, they can act as hilights. Awesome.

If you don't want hilights, but more of a blended colour, you should for sure mix a either a level 5 or 4 NB with maybe a level 5 copper and auburn or even gold. I can give you some suggestions if you're interested.

You will still of course see the grey growing out...but at least you won't have to contend with the lightening that can happen with some 20 volume peroxide colours (permanent).

Your hair won't be copper....just added hilights -- depends on the ratio of colour.

Also, the Shades EQ is a great conditioning colour.

If you aren't interested in the Shades and like a particular colour...go for one that is a level you prefer, at least a 6 or lower and go for one that is "warm", "golden", "copper" or "auburn" brown.

Hope this helps.
    quincy

Old 05-24-2004, 09:09 AM   #3
    catwoman1391

catwoman1391 HB User

Thanks Quincy! I appreciate all the info. Right now my hair is streaked blonde, but I have been wanting to go a dark red for awhile. I get my hair done at a salon so I can use professional colours. My eyes are not creamy, but eggshell -whitish.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:49 PM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

hi,

Shades EQ looks AWESOME over streaking as well. It will give an intensified colour. The coppers as well as the warm-golds. Mix either or both with a level 7NB. There is also a level 9 auburn that mixed with a 9NB looks quite nice on streaked hair.

If you try the Shades (it's a demi-permanent with a 7% peroxide), you can have fun with colours starting with light and eventually going darker. Streaking with Shades just gives a great dimension (especially if one has grey hair which also adds to the hilights).

quincy

Closed Thread