It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• Preventing Head Lice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2004, 03:48 PM   #1
    azgirl14
    (female)

azgirl14 HB User
    Exclamation Preventing Head Lice

For all those of you out there that have been unfortunate enough to have to deal with head lice I have a couple of questions. My last treatment goes on tonight and I have vaccumed and washed everything I can think of. My biggest concerns now are my hair brushes and things like hair ties and clips, etc. I have read that soaking them in hot water or rubbing alcohol for 30 minutes will kill all the lice but does this make them safe to use after? Am I correct in my assumption that as long as the lice are dead they won't spread again? If you have any ideas on the subject I would love to hear them as the next 7 days are probably the most critical in getting rid of the lice for good. As always, thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2004, 08:21 AM   #2
    maak823
    Inactive

maak823 HB User
    Re: Preventing Head Lice

Soak all of your brushes, clips, etc in very hot water- this kills the living ones, then clean all of the hair, etc out of them- you can also use your treatment to soak them in- to make sure.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by azgirl14
    For all those of you out there that have been unfortunate enough to have to deal with head lice I have a couple of questions. My last treatment goes on tonight and I have vaccumed and washed everything I can think of. My biggest concerns now are my hair brushes and things like hair ties and clips, etc. I have read that soaking them in hot water or rubbing alcohol for 30 minutes will kill all the lice but does this make them safe to use after? Am I correct in my assumption that as long as the lice are dead they won't spread again? If you have any ideas on the subject I would love to hear them as the next 7 days are probably the most critical in getting rid of the lice for good. As always, thanks for your help!

Old 08-10-2004, 12:30 AM   #3
    tenarms

tenarms HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maak823
    Soak all of your brushes, clips, etc in very hot water- this kills the living ones, then clean all of the hair, etc out of them- you can also use your treatment to soak them in- to make sure.
    Place them in a tightly sealed plastic bag. This also works well with linens, clothing, stuffed animals,etc. Use a fine tooth comb to get out all of the lice and nits. If your lice shampoo doesn't work vinegar will kill lice. lice shampoo will not kill nits. You will have to get someone to help you get those out because they stick to you hair follicles really good. baby oil helps to get them out. The nits are the hardest thing to get rid of. If you do not get rid of them they will hatch and you will see grown lice all over again. Don't share combs, hair accessories, clothing , caps etc.

Old 08-16-2004, 02:00 PM   #4
    azgirl14
    (female)

azgirl14 HB User

I read a suggestion on another website and this person said to wear a shower cap to bed every night until you get rid of the lice. I never thought of it but it makes a lot of sense. This way you prevent getting your pillows, sheets, etc. infected and hopefully can control the problem. It's also a lot easier to just wash out a shower cap or throw it away than it is to clean everything in sight. Just thought I would post this suggestion in the hopes that others may benefit.

Last edited by azgirl14; 08-16-2004 at 02:01 PM.

Old 08-16-2004, 02:22 PM   #5
    PeggyHarmon

PeggyHarmon HB User

When my daughter was younger we had unknowingly been exposed to them. Like someone here said the nits are the hardest, and they are !!! But I was told by a vet (real time friend) to wash everything in hottest water and flea/dog shampoo and tumble dry over heat it if you must... and spray flea spray on bed/pillows and then put the linens back on. Do it every other day...because nits hatch out over a period of 14 days. So you have alot of work ahead of you. Now getting rid of the nits.. get the finest comb, sit the child in good light, and spray hair spray per strand you are working with---its sticky and they can't breathe and will emerge...have a cup of alcohol and pick them off and drop them in...I believe I used acetone rather than alcohol. But anyway it was a 2wk every night ritual.

Last edited by PeggyHarmon; 08-16-2004 at 02:23 PM.

Closed Thread