It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• Young female with graying hair

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2005, 01:09 AM   #1
    FrodoTook

FrodoTook HB User
    Young female with graying hair

I've just recently turned 19, and i woke up a day ago with one long silver hair. And it really stands out because by hair is very long and dark brown. my father didn't start graying until he was in his 40s, and he's almost 60 now, and my mom didn't gray until she went through a very serious trauma. I know it sounds silly but should this first hair be something to worry about?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User
    Re: Young female with graying hair

This tend to happen to women with very dark hair. My mom had chocolate brown hair, and found her first grays in her late teens. It probably is more noticeable because of your dark hair. By college, she was finding grays all the time, and coloring her hair by her 30's. By 40 she was almost totally grey.

My husband just turned 30 and has alot of grays. But his father began graying early, and now at 60, his dad still has a head full of dark hair with the same ammount of gray he had in his 30's. They also both have very dark hair.

I may have grays too, but I'd never really know it because my hair is blonde. I think it's nothing to worry about. It could just be a random gray that stands out because your hair is dark.
    DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 01-07-2005 at 09:43 AM.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
    joe28paws
    Inactive

joe28paws HB User
    Arrow Re: Young female with graying hair

Hi,

Please don't be distraught, I got my first gray hair when I was 16, yes 16 and I have been coloring my hair since, I think today if I stopped coloring my hair it would be 99.9 percent gray. I am now 35 and yes the gray does run in my family, you always have to look at your mothers side of the family not really just your mother or father, maybe someone on your mothers side turned gray early.

There is nothing to worry about, if you don't want the gray to show then you can get in a beauty supply store a little tube almost like a lipstick that you can wipe on the one piece of hair but it will wash out you will have to do this every day, if it doesn't bother you than you can go gray naturally but I am sure being so young you will not want to do that. Or you can start coloring your hair now and do it every 5 to 6 weeks. Right now if I were you just let it go until you can see alot more, if it doesn't bother you.

I hope I gave you some good suggestions.

JC

Old 01-07-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
    cboo23
    (female)

cboo23 HB User

Sometimes grey hair at an early age is due to a head trama in your child hood. esspecially if its just in one patch.

Old 01-08-2005, 04:02 AM   #5
    FrodoTook

FrodoTook HB User

only one person, that being a woman grayed early. and the others didn't start graying til their 40s. my mom's hair is still dark red w/ little bits of gray at the temple. I really don't want to start graying this early. Dying here I come

Old 01-29-2005, 08:39 PM   #6
    2004-1986
    (female)

2004-1986 HB User

I'm 19 and I started getting gray hairs when I was about 16... It only started after I was ALMOST in a bad car accident. It's only 2 or 3 hairs that I find and they only grow in one spot. I usually pluck them out since I'm scared to death to dye my hair. I also have very dark hair and they stick out like a sore thumb, so all I can say is to pluck them (leaving behind the growing back twice as much myth), or dying it...

Old 01-30-2005, 08:27 PM   #7
    cntrygirl87
    (female)

cntrygirl87 HB User

My sister has the problem too. No one in my family got gray hair early but she is. IDK when she started getting it but I am going to say about 25. She also did so much stuff to here hair too. (She has dark hair.) Her hair is really think and she dyed it a lot in the past. Now she has to dye it to cover up the gray.

Last edited by cntrygirl87; 01-30-2005 at 08:27 PM.

Closed Thread