It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• Boyfriend going bald...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
    123 Gurl
    Inactive
    (female)

123 Gurl HB User
    Boyfriend going bald...

He is almost bald as it is, and always wears a hat because he is embarassed, we have been together for about 6 months now, and is still scared to take off his hat in front of me. I understand his situation...It's cute to me, but he is very insecure. Does anyone know any good hair products for older men to help hair growth that are over the counter? Also, anyone have any advice on how to bring the situation up? How do i confront him about buying this for him? thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 10:15 AM   #2
    ScruffyGuy
    Inactive
    (male)

ScruffyGuy HB User
    Re: Boyfriend going bald...

If you think he's cute and his hair doesn't bother you, why do you want to introduce him to a hair-growth product?

Additionally, why would you "confront" him -- why wouldn't you just talk to him sweetly and ask him if this is something he might be interested in doing?

YOU buying something like this for him is going to seriously make him wonder if you are unhappy with his appearance. You should at least make sure you've established that you like him the way he is before you get into discussing this topic, don't you think?

If he wanted to do something about it, why hasn't he done it already? Using these products requires a LIFELONG, daily commitment. They can be messy, sometimes greasy and bothersome. The minute you stop using the product, any hair that may have returned just falls out again. Perhaps he doesn't want to devote himself to this kind of regimen.

There are certainly other options, but surgical hair replacement is expensive and time-consuming. Hair replacement systems are cheaper and some actually look pretty good, but they are still rather pricey and lots of men have an objection to what they deem as essentially a permanent "wig," even though this is not really what a hair replacement system is.

If you're both happy with each other, leave it be.

If you would at least like to discuss it with him, I don't see why you can't do that, but you need to work on tact and diplomacy. You are still "new" to each other -- it might be a good idea to wait until you enter into the "comfort" phase of your relationship. This would be about the first time he accidentally passes gas in front of you and you both laugh about it!

Finally... OTC hair-growth remedies rarely do much good for all the effort they require. This is especially true in men who have more advanced hair loss. Also, they do not necessarily grow hair smoothly and evenly over the entire scalp -- some areas are more receptive than others.

Old 02-24-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
    Anony1

Anony1 HB User

If he is almost bald then Rogaine is not going to help him, nor will the prescription drug Propecia. If he is interested in a permanent solution, he should see a hair transplant surgeon. The treatment is very, very expensive, but it is an option.

Old 02-25-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
    Hitmen
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hitmen HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anony1
    If he is almost bald then Rogaine is not going to help him, nor will the prescription drug Propecia. If he is interested in a permanent solution, he should see a hair transplant surgeon. The treatment is very, very expensive, but it is an option.
    good point, if he's almost bald rogaine and propecia won't do much except help him maintain what he has left and sprout up a couple of hairs here and there. he could go for a hair transplant or do what a lot of guys like michael jordan and andre agassi did, shave his head.

Old 02-25-2005, 06:55 PM   #5
    Breezes
    (male)

Breezes HB User

Deletexxxx

Last edited by Breezes; 04-04-2007 at 06:57 PM.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:00 AM   #6
    katkat
    Inactive
    (female)

katkat HB User

That reminds me of how I used to see bald men. I worked with an older lady who I adored as a motherly type friend at work. He hubby was a engineer there. Sometimes he'd come down and say hi and talk to her. He was as bald as they come but she'd look at him like he was the best thing in the world. I remember thinking wow she loves him so much and he is BALD! lol I thought I could never love a bald guy. A few years down the road I divorced my husband.
    I met a wonderful man who always wore a baseball cap. I knew he was bald under that cap but damn he was so nice and had such a wonderful smile. The more we talked the more I liked him. Soon our relationship turned more romantic. Months later he seemed embarrassed to take his hat off in front of me. I remember once while we were alone his hat was off and I was sitting on his lap. I kissed his head....lol. I just wanted to show him how much I loved him and that his hair or lack there of meant nothing to me. I chuckle to myself at how I thought of Marie and her hubby way back when.....
    So my advice to you is to SHOW him that his baldness is just another part of HIM. If you truly love him do not allow that to get in the way. Why should it? Trying to correct his baldness could be expensive with transplants and oh so painful. If he could do that it seems to me he would have already looked into it himself.
    good luck.

Old 03-07-2005, 09:45 AM   #7
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

I have read that using Propecia is choice between have sex & having hair.

I prefer sex.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:04 AM   #8
    katkat
    Inactive
    (female)

katkat HB User

lol I don't blame you Jin, I am sure your lover will agree. I tell my hubby that being bald is a sign of being a good lover.
    have a great day.

Old 03-11-2005, 05:17 AM   #9
    YYtrain
    (male)

YYtrain HB User

Another point being that wearing a hat constantly will only make the situation worse .. space is needed to 'breathe' and grow ...

Old 03-11-2005, 06:48 PM   #10
    Happy2

Happy2 HB User

Some guys are okay with being bald, but many are not. It sounds like he is not. A buddy of mine had a hair transplant and it looks fantastic..His self esteem is high now. The process was done in less than a day and he had no pain. Prices have dropped a lot in the last few years, and hopefully that trend will continue.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:17 AM   #11
    gfd

gfd HB User

I dont think overcounter products would work good he can get plugs or shaved his head.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:25 AM   #12
    gfd

gfd HB User

My dad had hair transplant surgeon when he was in his 30s he 48 and still has plenty of hair he pay 2,000 when he had surgeon it took him 6 months to grow the hair He would look older if he did not have the hair transplant surgeon.

Closed Thread