It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• I've killed my hair- HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
    Angelica17

Angelica17 HB User
    I've killed my hair- HELP!

A week ago I posted thinking that my highlights had destroed my hair but now I realize that I have been doing everything I shouldnt be doing.

Im 18 and my hair-care regime goes a little something liekthis:
    - I wash my hair every day because it gets oily fast (WITH PANTINE PRO-V!) *I've been using pantine for the last 6 months, altering with Loreal Vive every week or so
    - I straighten 3 times a week
    - I blowdry every day
    - I bleached it (highlights at a solon 7 months ago) and got some weird chemical reaction that started to burn

MY QUESTION IS:
    Is the damage permanent?
    If I did oil treatments every other week, ate flax seeds daily, chaged shampoos, got regular haircuts, didnt flat iron and blow dryed less, will I regain my healthy looking hair within the next year? Or is this just a lost cause?

Last edited by Angelica17; 05-22-2005 at 11:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2005, 12:20 PM   #2
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
    Re: I've killed my hair- HELP!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Angelica17
    A week ago I posted thinking that my highlights had destroed my hair but now I realize that I have been doing everything I shouldnt be doing.

Im 18 and my hair-care regime goes a little something liekthis:
    - I wash my hair every day because it gets oily fast (WITH PANTINE PRO-V!) *I've been using pantine for the last 6 months, altering with Loreal Vive every week or so
    - I straighten 3 times a week
    - I blowdry every day
    - I bleached it (highlights at a solon 7 months ago) and got some weird chemical reaction that started to burn

MY QUESTION IS:
    Is the damage permanent?
    If I did oil treatments every other week, ate flax seeds daily, chaged shampoos, got regular haircuts, didnt flat iron and blow dryed less, will I regain my healthy looking hair within the next year? Or is this just a lost cause?

I'd say throw that Pantene in the trash. It will only continue to damage your hair. I only used it about 3 times and my hair is fried. I suggest using the Loreal Vive instead. I use olive oil cream that I bought at Sally's Beauty Supply. It works really well for me and I don't use more than a little on my finger tip, that's all. I use it after shampooing and conditioning. I don't think that straightening is all that bad as long as you use an iron that has steam. It's much better for your hair. I would definitely say air dry your hair instead of blow drying for a while. Regular haircuts/trims are always good as it gets rid of damaged ends. Regarding the flax seeds, I suppose it couldn't hurt. Hope I was helpful.

Old 05-23-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
    caliente
    Veteran
    (female)

caliente HB User

stop using pantene!!! that is the worst for your hair, especially if you already have damage.

go ahead with the loreal vive, but i'd like to suggest using a clarifying shampoo and deep conditioner at least once a week. i like vo5 kiwi & lime shampoo and aussie 3 minute miracle deep conditioner. i use them twice a week on my oily hair.

if you blowdry and/or use a flat iron, please use some sort of heat protectant. even a simple leave-in conditioner or shine serum will work to protect against the heat damage.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
    frustrated35
    Inactive
    (female)

frustrated35 HB User

I straightened my hair last year and fried it. A lot fell out too! My hair stylist freaked and made me promise to let her do it next time. The only shampoo that has helped me is Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Shampoo & Conditioner. It's also very reasonably priced and believe me, I've tried a lot of products out there some that are extremely expensive. You can buy this at any grocery store, Target or Wal*Mart.

Also, to get that sleek & shiny look, before I dry my hair, I spray in some Infusium leave in treatment stuff, then use the blow silk and blow serum by Artec (Kiwi line - white bottle with a green top). This isn't as cheap, kind of pricy, but works for me. You can buy it at a salon or we have a store where I live called Ulta and I find it there.

Hang in there and be patient! The new hair growth should come in just fine (mine is) It just takes a while. I've also invested in a hugh 2" curling iron. This gives me "bigger" curls that just adds bounce, not tight poodle curls. I found this was better than a flat iron since the flat iron tends to fry the hair even more. Maybe some of this will help your hair. Good luck!!

Old 05-26-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
    blondie79
    (female)

blondie79 HB User

After processing the color, my stylist gives me a deep conditioning treatment and it makes a world of difference. I go to an Aveda concept salon, they're about $20. Hope that helps!

Old 05-26-2005, 04:26 PM   #6
    tigger_girl76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

If you live in the States ask your stylist about a "Malibu Treatment". When I completely wrecked my hair about 7 years ago the woman that did my hair gave me two of these treatments and they were EXCELLENT. They're a very intensive conditioning treatment for damaged hair.

I also think you should get rid of the Pantene. It's never done anything good for my hair. That goes for the styling range as well as the shampoos/conditioners.

Always use a heat protection spray when using flat irons. A lot of my friends swear by the Lee Stafford heat protection spray (hot pink bottle). Using a diffuser while blow drying cuts down on damage.

Take care!

Closed Thread