It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• Hair breakage problem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2005, 10:44 PM   #1
    JMJ77
    (female)

JMJ77 HB User
    Question Hair breakage problem

Hi everyone...
    I have a couple of questions about hair breakage of which I have been experiencing for awhile now. At first I would notice that I would lose a lot of hair in the shower but once my hair was dry it wouldn't be so bad. I thought I was experiencing hair loss but not too long ago I noticed I had tons of little hairs sticking up everywhere on top and when I pull my hair back there are the shorter hairs by my forehead also which leads me to believe that this is hair breakage and not actual hair loss. I'm trying to grow my bangs out so I usually wear a head band but I always have to use hair spray to hold down all the little stray broken hairs that stick up everywhere which is a total nuisance. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or is currently dealing with this problem and is there anything that can be done about it?
    I haven't had a perm or used hair dye in quite awhile so it can't be that. And I try to stick with shampoos and conditioners which provide extra moisture. I am currently using Dove shampoo + conditioner for dry/damaged hair. Also, when my hair is wet I use a wide tooth comb to seperate any tangles. I never blow dry my hair and never style it so I can't understand what could be causing this problem.
    I would really appreciate and feedback on this matter! Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
    canadiancarol
    (female)

canadiancarol HB User
    Re: Hair breakage problem

I would have my thyroid checked out by a dermatogist, check your diet etc.

Old 11-11-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

See your family doctor for a full checkup. And get rid of the headband.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
    JMJ77
    (female)

JMJ77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by canadiancarol
    I would have my thyroid checked out by a dermatogist, check your diet etc.
    [FONT=Arial]Thank you for replying. I should also mention that I am currently 5 and a half months pregnant and also taking an antidepressant but I'm not sure if those things would have anything to do with hair breakage but I could be wrong. I always thought of those as causing actual hair loss. I just may have to see a doctor if the situation doesn't improve. I am happy to say that I see fewer hairs in the shower though.[/FONT]

Old 11-11-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
    JMJ77
    (female)

JMJ77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooby
    See your family doctor for a full checkup. And get rid of the headband.
    The headband I use is smooth on the bottom with no teeth so there's no actual pulling of the hair. I would be lost without lol. Since I am growing my bangs out I can't do anything with my hair and it looks awful without the headband.

Old 11-11-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

Pregnancy is a big factor. Hormonal changes often cause loss of hair. So that is probably the answer.

Old 11-11-2005, 06:12 PM   #7
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JMJ77
    [FONT=Arial]Thank you for replying. I should also mention that I am currently 5 and a half months pregnant and also taking an antidepressant but I'm not sure if those things would have anything to do with hair breakage but I could be wrong. I always thought of those as causing actual hair loss. I just may have to see a doctor if the situation doesn't improve. I am happy to say that I see fewer hairs in the shower though.[/FONT]
    Some antidepressants can deplete protein in the body. Prozac is one of them. I know, because I'm on it. Since hair is mostly protein, not having enough in your body could cause hair problems, loss or breakage. I'd say do some research on it. As for being pregnant, I've never been. But I've always heard that people lost hair after having the baby because of the drop in hormones.

Old 11-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #8
    JMJ77
    (female)

JMJ77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kittywitty
    Some antidepressants can deplete protein in the body. Prozac is one of them. I know, because I'm on it. Since hair is mostly protein, not having enough in your body could cause hair problems, loss or breakage. I'd say do some research on it. As for being pregnant, I've never been. But I've always heard that people lost hair after having the baby because of the drop in hormones.
    Hi...I hope it's not the medication but I was taking Zoloft with my last pregnancy also (this is my 4th) and didn't have any problems. Also didn't have any problems with losing hair after the last 3 pregnancies. The only other time I had this problem with my hair is when I had a perm but like I said before, I haven't done anything like that with my hair in a long time. Hopefully the breakage will stop and with the way that some of the hairs look, it seems as if they've been growing back for awhile now. Before the problem was losing all kinds of hair in the shower, now it's all the little broken hairs everywhere on top. Luckily I haven't seen much hair coming out in the shower like I was before.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:11 AM   #9
    Hypo2004
    (female)

Hypo2004 HB User

I have a lot of short hairs as well. Hairstylist and I cannot tell if breakage or new growth. I'd prefer the latter after years of MASSIVE hair shedding. It now takes about 5-6 twists to put ponytail up compared to two! Your hormones are probably going crazy right now being pregnant. But hypothyroidism is VERY common with pregnant and post-pregnat women. Good Luck!

{removed}

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 11-18-2005 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Please make a new thread for your question.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:35 PM   #10
    JMJ77
    (female)

JMJ77 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Hair breakage problem

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hypo2004
    I have a lot of short hairs as well. Hairstylist and I cannot tell if breakage or new growth. I'd prefer the latter after years of MASSIVE hair shedding. It now takes about 5-6 twists to put ponytail up compared to two! Your hormones are probably going crazy right now being pregnant. But hypothyroidism is VERY common with pregnant and post-pregnat women. Good Luck!

{removed}
    Thanks for replying. You know, I wonder if mine is new growth maybe. I was losing a lot of hair in the shower before so it would make sense. It's just very frustrating. Good luck in your situation also!

Closed Thread