It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• Lice help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-31-2006, 11:49 PM   #1
    nessagrl
    (female)

nessagrl HB User
    Lice help

Hi,
    I need help. My family and I have been battling lice for months. I have done everything to my hair. Had the nits picked, hair dyed, all those over the counter and prescriptions, everything washed and sprayed, I even poured gasoline over my head and I can't get rid of these things. I have had people look at my hair and tell me I am clean and them pull three bugs from my hair that day. I don't know what's going on and I am close to shaving my head. I have done the olive oil, vaseline, etc. I don't know what else to do. Also, there seem to be different lice species on my head. I have pulled ant looking lice bugs that don't even look like lice but they must be since I had some in my hair. Is it possible that I did so much to my hair that I made the lice resistant and strong and they'll never die? Also, is it possible I created a new species of lice by all the treatments? Some of those bugs don't look like they are lice bugs. Does anyone have any suggestions or answers? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2006, 05:03 AM   #2
    hobogirl
    (female)

hobogirl HB User
    Re: Lice help

I would go straight to my doctor and have them look at them and make sure that it is indeed lice. I have also been told that lice like clean hair and scalp, so letting your hair go for several days without shampooing might help. I would also have an exterminator come to my house and spray. I have been through the lice ordeal when my kids were young and once you get it you have to keep up with the treatments and checking for quite awhile. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
    nessagrl
    (female)

nessagrl HB User

Thanks. It's so strange. We have been so good at cleaning so I don't think we are getting reinfested, I think we just can't get rid of it. Every time I do a treatment I pull out more bugs. They are dead but obviously they don't all die. I don't know what's going on. How did you get rid of it and how long did it take you?

Old 06-01-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
    NitroChic
    Veteran
    (female)

NitroChic HB User

Well....I don't think you will like this answer....so hit the back button.......
    It took about 6 months total. Truely...it was so awful.....I ended taking everything out of the childs rood and putting it in Garbage bags in the Garage for a month.....EVERYTHING. I know she felt like she was being punished.....her sister had to be treated too though they didnt live in the same room. We treated all of us the same night and the animals.......
    I know I know, they say that human llice doesnt transfer, but by that time we had spent nearly 500.00 on treatments and I wasnt taking any chances. I also found a nit comb at the major drugstore chain that is all metal teeth and VERY VERY fine. It will last forever. THose combs in the treatment boxes don't work. I ended up buying 2 of them and using an old tooth brush to clean them out after each comb stroke........I sympathize with you I truly do.....you get to a point where you just want to sit down and cry. HANG IN THERE....it will be over...

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-01-2006 at 06:49 PM.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:38 AM   #5
    Pamela20
    (female)

Pamela20 HB User

My daughter had head lice about 7 years ago and the Dr. told me to put vasoline all over her head and put a shower cap on for the night because it will suffocate them and it worked wonders. It took about 1 week before we got it all out, we used dawn dish soap to get it out.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:13 PM   #6
    nessagrl
    (female)

nessagrl HB User

thanks for all your help everyone. it has been so long and nothing has seemed to work. did anyone see the ant bugs in the hair? are those really lice bugs? they look like ants but arent, it's odd.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:03 PM   #7
    LeanneUk
    (female)

LeanneUk HB User

Hi there nessagirl, headlice is not uncommon these days and they are immune to all the treatments you can get. My 6yr old sister had them last year and my mum started using tee tree shampoo and conditioner on her hair and after applying the conditioner she would leave some of it in then use a nit comb and they were all dead. Now she uses nothing else but tee tree and her head has been clear ever since....good luck

Old 06-10-2006, 10:48 PM   #8
    Ariaden
    (female)

Ariaden HB User

i had bad lice for like four months straight. i had tried EVERYTHING to get rid of them. i was so disgusted i felt so dirty and gross. finally i went do the store and bought a jar of vassaline. i smeared ALL of it onto my head (i have extremely thick hair, on reason why i couldn't get rid of them) i wrapped my head in saran wrap (sp) put a beanie over my hair and left it like that for three days straight. it was hot, ichty, gross and uncomfortable but it WORKED. i haven't had a problem since.

good luck to you!

Old 06-15-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
    brook65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brook65 HB User

Hi I have really long thick hair, so when I caught them off of my son who picked them up from school, I was horrified!

We did a test at home using different safe kitchen products, (as we didn't want to use the pesticide treatments on our scalps) to see what killed the lice!

As you know they are resilient, and immune to some over the counter products!

We tried a few kitchen products, and when we tried washing up liquid (lemon) it killed it! so now when we have a outbreak of lice we cover our hair with washing up liquid, and rinse! this seems to kill them, better than anything else I have used.

Also I thought it would really dry my hair out, but using it just the once, it left my hair really shiny!

Good luck

Last edited by brook65; 06-15-2006 at 05:35 PM.

Closed Thread