It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• For Oily or Fine/Thin Hair

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2006, 04:07 AM   #1
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    For Oily or Fine/Thin Hair

I have often read about certain natural products being able to help with oily scalps or even thinning hair and fine hair, but never got around to trying them.

A couple months or so ago i found out i was extremely low in iron and i was researching ways of fixing this problem naturally. I found nettle (as in stinging nettle) to be good for your iron levels and if you make a tea out of it and use the water as a final rinse after shampooing and conditioning your hair it is supposed to strengthen the hair and help with hair loss too.

I decided to give this a serious go. At the markets i bought a bag of dried nettle leaves (you can buy it in tea bags too) or if you live in a rural area you probably have it growing quite naturally. All you have to do is put a couple of tea bags or a couple of spoonfulls of the dried nettles into a cup and pour boiling hot water over it and leave it to sit for maybe half an hour. (i make mine up the night before so i dont have to mess about the following morning).
    When you are ready to use it, take tea bags out or strain it if you are using loose nettles. If the mixture is stone cold i add some hot water to it so it's not too cold on your scalp. I tip my head forwards and pour the mixture over my scalp and gently massage with my other free hand. I let the mixture fall down into a bucket/container, then reuse the mixture right away so that i can pour the liquid up to 3 times over my scalp.

This liquid strengthens the hair, makes my hair feel thicker and fuller and as i wash my hair every 2nd day, on the 2nd day it's not as oily as it used to be.

I have been doing this for a straight 2 weeks and the longer i do it the better things seem to get. It's been raining here for days and usually my hair might get kind of limp, but it's amazingly full of body and bounce despite all this damp in the air. I can definitely attribute the change in my hair to the nettle as i've not changed my diet or lifestyle in any dramatic way.

I've done more research and apparently you what i did with the nettle you can use rosemary or sage too. Sage is particularly good if you are a brunette, but chamomile is better for lighter haired people. When i was a kid, my mother used to use and egg yolk to wash my scalp prior to shampooing as it's an exellent clarifier. I've not done this in years and years so will be going back to the egg yolk treatment once every week or two. I'm sick and tired of paying so much money for over the counter treatments which haven't worked, might as well give the natural stuff a go.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
    Coolmom
    (female)

Coolmom HB User
    Re: For Oily or Fine/Thin Hair

Hey Audrey,
    Wonder if you still come by this side of the message board since this is an old post. But the rosemary/sage idea suits me. Do tell me do you use fresh rosemary/sage? Or can one use the dried ones too?

Old 10-06-2006, 03:18 AM   #3
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi Coolmom........I originally posted my post as so many people are posting about complaints regarding oily scalp and thinning hair and trying to make their head of hair look fuller. I'm still using the nettle and sometimes i use the rosemary for a change. Still haven't tried the sage, but that's my next step. Every two weeks i'll apply raw egg to my head and massage it in and wrap it up in plastic wrap and a towel. The egg cleanses and conditions. I've got another lady at work doing this too.

Okay, this is what i do......I went to the markets and there is a guy who sells herbs and spices of ALL types so i bought dried nettle and dried rosemary and that is what i have been using.

You do NOT have to use dried herbs, you can infuse fresh herbs too but i guess it's easier for most people to buy herbs in the dried form, especially if you intend on using it regularly. If you are a keen gardener and have the space to grow a good supply of herbs then that is very handy too.

Mine has gotten to the stage where people who know me are asking me what have i done to my hair, am i using a new treatment etc They are amazed at how much fuller and thicker my hair looks and i'm noticing it too. My hair is half way down my back and was starting to look stragly and not as thick and full.

The incredible thing which i have particularly noticed is the fact that my hair stays cleaner for longer. I still wash it every second day, but on the day i dont wash it, it actually feels and looks cleaner. The other day i even went without washing it for 3 days.

The other weird thing is that it seems that this new process is causing a lot of the pores on my scalp to unblock. For a number of weeks i would experience a slight itch and after itching that spot i'd feel a bump and (i know this sounds gross) the bump was actually a blocked pore and the dried oily bit within the pore would come out. This has happened in lots of areas of my head and as time goes on it's less and less itchy and seems as though my haid has had a full spring clean. The things is, i'm awfully clean, but i'd say chemical shampoos dont do their job obviously.

As i use the nettle liquid up to 3 or 4 times during the one wash repeatedly to give my head a good dousing, i don't throw it down the drain when i'm finished, instead i poor it down the front/back of my body after i've finished my shower and i'm under the impression it could be good for the skin on your body too. Will know better once i've been doing it longer i guess as none of these things are 100% noticeable after just one try.

My next step is to infuse fresh/dried parsley in hot water and once it cools it makes an excellent natural facial toner. I grow my own parsley and you wouldn't need much of it anyway as a facial toner.

Ok, i've waffled on enough. Let me know how you go

I mostly use nettle

Old 10-07-2006, 03:12 AM   #4
    SFlower
    (female)

SFlower HB User
    Talking Re: For Oily or Fine/Thin Hair

Yeah, long long time ago when I was still a little girl ;-) my Mum used an egg on her hair and I was told that nettle is very good for your hair. Back then I thought it was all "grannies tales".

Now I''m coming across loads of posts which praise egg and nettle - will definitely give them a go!

Old 10-09-2006, 02:17 AM   #5
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

A lot of "grannies tales" are actually handy.

Somebody posted somewhere on this board about cutting your hair by the phase of the moon. I thought this was odd, but a monthly magazine i get has what dates are best to trim hair to help hair grow and which days to get rid of hair to retard hair growth and i've started looking into this too. It doesn't hurt to try, especially if i'm going to get my hair trimmed every couple of months, might as well trim it on the days they say are good for helping hair growth. It said after about 6 or so months you should notice a difference.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:20 AM   #6
    SFlower
    (female)

SFlower HB User

Yeah, I heard that one too! Will try!

Old 10-11-2006, 11:29 AM   #7
    debratheartist
    (female)

debratheartist HB User

hi, found the nettle thread. so, my hair is SUPER dry and splits and tangly and crazy curly but it is also very fine and i am itching and flaking a bit with all the hair loss. will nettle dry my hair out too much?

Old 10-16-2006, 03:35 AM   #8
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

If you have dry hair, an excellent conditioning treament is to use raw egg yolks in your hair. Simply massage it in, wrap it up in plastic wrap and then put a towel around it to keep it warm. Keep it in for at least 15 or so minutes and then wash out. You can even add a teaspoon of olive oil or 3oz of almond oil.

If you hair is extremely dry/brittle you need to find out why. Is it due to your diet missing essential healthy oils or are you using products and dyes in your hair which strips it of it's natural oils. Perhaps you could give your hair a good trim and then add foods to your diet which give hair/skin/nails the right types of nutrients and therefore a natural shine and healthiness.

Closed Thread