It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• Dry & Frizzy Hair, Is My Hairdresser Lying To Me, Or Is It Just Me?!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
    VanRanger
    (male)

VanRanger HB User
    Question Dry & Frizzy Hair, Is My Hairdresser Lying To Me, Or Is It Just Me?!

Okay, about a year and a half ago I decided to waver from my normal regulation style haircut, and let my hair grow out. The plan was to simply have medium straight hair, or at least what I would call medium, it comes just past my ears. Anyway, when my hair got longer it just wanted to curl up, as I do have naturally curly hair, therefore I decided to get my hair straightened. Now from what I've read Straight Perms, can cost as much as $150-$300, however the hairdresser I use only charges me $30, which I find strange. Anyway, she being one of my Mom's old friends from School I kept using her, although I've not really had straight hair once without going through tedious work to get it.

Anyway, the only way I can achieve the look I want is to Shampoo & Condition my hair, afterwards I get rid of the excess water, by gently toweling my hair, without rubbing. Then I must apply tons of Smoothing Cream, and brush my hair straight back, and keep it that way for a minimum of 4 hours, afterwards I can brush it pretty much as I like it. Although, my Mom does tell me it looks greasy afterwards, which isn't what I wanted at all. Iíve had my hair straightened at the very least in the past year and a half about 5 times. Now I've tried many Products that were supposed to be grand in their own accord, and I gave each of them time to work, at least a Month, or more.

Products I've tried and had no real success with:

Garnier Fuctis Shampoo & Conditioner
    Physique Shampoo & Conditioner/Keep It Straight Lotion
    Frizz Ease Shampoo & Conditioner/Straight Answer Spray/Hair Serum
    Chi Shampoo & Conditioner/Keratin Mist/Silk Infusion
    Nexus Therappe Shampoo, & Humectress Conditioner/Exxtra Gel/Emergencee
    Tresemme Shampoo & Conditioner/Anti Frizz Secret/Replenish Treatment/Repair Hot Oil Treatment

Iíve now moved onto trying:
    Infusium 23 Shampoo & Conditioner (Frizz Control)/3 Minute Treatment/Leave In Treatment

Now, I have tried blow-drying it straight, but thatís a nightmare as all I get is a puffball for hair. Iíve also tried Flat Irons, but canít seem to get the job done on my own; I have to have help, which is very time consuming. What Iíd like to know is should I just give up, and go back to my old boring hairstyle, or should I keep trying. Most importantly is my Hairdresser even really doing the Straight Perm correctly as all she does is put the chemical into my hair and brush it straight back, and allow it to sit for about 45 minutes.
    What Products or Advice would you recommend, Please any help would be appreciated, and if youíve read all this Thank You Very Much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
    Caligirl7575
    (female)

Caligirl7575 HB User
    Wink Re: Dry & Frizzy Hair, Is My Hairdresser Lying To Me, Or Is It Just Me?!

dont get it chemically straightened
    it will just damage your hair

try the "CHI" flat iron
    it is expensive but it works great
    my hair is super curly and its the only thing that gets my hair very smooth and straight

i also love these products

Redkin smoothdown shampoo/ conditionair
    redkin- glass anti frizz serum
    and redkin flat iron protecting serum

Old 09-16-2006, 12:13 AM   #3
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User
    Re: Dry & Frizzy Hair, Is My Hairdresser Lying To Me, Or Is It Just Me?!

I also have a 1" CHI flat iron and it does the job. I have curly hair, and they are not nice curls. They are out of control and frizzy. I can straighten my hair in about 15 minutes. I just use clips and do it in sections and I have mastered it. I also have had a Solano Sapphire flat iron (also a 1") and I actually think I liked that better than the CHI. I've only used those 2 brands and while they are expensive.........so worth the investment!!! I've had my hair chemically straightened before, and I did not get as good of results as I get with my flat iron! Plus, the chemical straightening is not good for your hair at all.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
    spinnybrunette
    (female)

spinnybrunette HB User

I have dry frizzy hair. Have not tried the straightening but was checking into it. Thank goodness one of the gals at the salon told me not to do it as it totally fries your hair.

You need a good conditioner, no drugstore stuff. Get Biolage the deep one that comes in the big jar. Varnish by AG is great as well as Redken, they have a spray sheen that comes in a maroon colored bottle that is great for spraying frizzies out after you styled your hair. The Redken Advocado line is good too.

I personally take the Biolage and leave it my hair for an hour then rinse out. I do this 1x per week and it really helps.

Dont shampoo your hair daily. More like every other day. Helps restore natural oils. And for straightening, go for a salon brand like Babyliss. There is a major difference compared to the kind you buy at the drugstore.

I have tried everything in the drugstore and nothing compares to the salon stuff.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:00 PM   #5
    VanRanger
    (male)

VanRanger HB User

Caligirl7575, Thanks for the advice. The Redkin Line I'm pretty sure Phyllis has, so perhaps I'll give it a try.
    As for the Flat Iron, I'm horrible at using them, as per what setting, or how long to hold it to my hair. It's just a headache, maybe if it were Medicine, or something that I'd have no problem with it. lol

Barton93, you said that the CHI Flat Iron straightens your hair in about 15 min, but how long does the straightness last I mean, all day? Or would you also have to use hairspray, because I wanted my hair so it wouldn't be weighed down, so it would be easy moving, or as my Mom calls her hairstyle the Wind-Blown Look. What's really strange is when I first had my hair straightened it seemed that it did better than it does now does that sound strange?

SpinnyBrunette, since you've heard of Chemical Straightening, have you heard of The Japanese Straight Perm, or something along those lines. I've seen it posted about the Internet recently and I was just wondering? I've never heard of Biolage, before what exactly is it supposed to do? Also where can it be found, as I don't think Phyllis has that in her shop, or I've never seen it before? I've never even heard of Varnish by AG, or Babyliss.

Anyway, I Thank Each Of You For Responding!

Old 09-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User

Hi Van.........I wash my hair every other day because I noticed that my hair is healthier since I started doing that. Anyway.......after I wash my hair, I put in whatever product I'm using (currently I'm using CHI Straight Guard....smoothing cream that helps eliminate frizz). After I apply my product, I let my hair air dry. Once it is dried, then I section it off and straighten it. Once my hair is straight, it'll stay straight til I wash it again unless it is REALLY humid outside. Then it'll need a touch up. It NEVER gets out of control once I straighten it. Also, I don't put anything else in my hair besides what I put in it before it drys. I don't use any hairspray or anything. I would consider my hair to be very easy moving. I wouldn't give up my straightener for nothing. My straightener has by far provided the best results over anything I've tried.

Like I said before, CHI is good......and I also used a Solano Sapphire. I'm torn over which I like better. Sometimes I'm leaning more towards liking my Solano better. My mom recently bought a straightener that was about the same price as the CHI (actually maybe a little more) and it is probably the best straightener that has ever been in my hair. I'll have to find out what that brand was........I can't remember off the top of my head. Also, if your hair is really curly/frizzy........I would recommend a smaller 1" versus the bigger ones. The smaller ones do better on my hair.......and trust me when I say my hair is nasty if I don't do anything with it.

Last edited by msmod; 09-19-2006 at 08:23 PM.

Closed Thread