It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• Hirsutism - Facial hair

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2007, 12:19 PM   #1
    teamjane
    (female)

teamjane HB User
    Hirsutism - Facial hair

Im 22 and recently been diagnosed with PCOS. I've started to notice significant hair growth everywhere on my body but the sides of my face, upper lip and chin is really starting to bother me. I have no idea what to do to get rid of it. What is the best way? I don't want stubble =(

The doctor hasn't prescribed me anything until my latest blood tests come back. She's most likely to prescribe Dianette. If its effective for me, will i just see reduced hair growth but will still need to remove hair myself after time, or will it completely stop the hair growing on my face?

Is there any other medication that will stop this? Im aware of electrolysis and will have this done if medication doesn't stop the growth. It's horrible. In the meantime, i really need to do something as soon as possible.

Its starting to affect my confidence, i don't want to go to work and im making excuses to not go out with my friends because im embarrassed. This is also causing problems because im a very sociable person and people are beginning to worry about me!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
    Choice
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Choice HB User
    Re: Hirsutism - Facial hair

The medication may prevent your body from activating currently inactive follicles, but it won't do anything for the follicles that are currently producing hair. There are other medications, glucophage, spironolactone, etc., that are often used to prevent new growth in women with PCOS. This should be discussed with your physician.

You can start electrolysis now. It's the only way that you will achieve permanent removal. If the hair is dark and very coarse, laser may be an option, but at most will only remove 80-85% of the hair and you will need electrolysis to finish.

In the meantime, shaving or clipping is your best temporary option. Waxing or tweezing facial hair that is stimulated by male hormones usually makes the hairs coarser and darker and more difficult to remove permanently in the future.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
    montesflus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

PLEASE DON'T START SHAVING - THAT'S A DEFINITE NO NO. ClIPPING IS OK TEMPORARILY, BUT GET TO AN ELECTROLOGIST AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. THAT'S YOUR BEST BET.

{Please don't post in all CAPS as it can make your posts very difficult to read.
    Thank you for your cooperation.

Ms_Mod}

Last edited by msmod; 07-17-2007 at 09:35 PM.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
    Choice
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Choice HB User

Shaving is not a no-no. Any electrologist will tell you that in 1927, Dr. Mildred Trotter proved that shaving does nothing more than make hairs shorter. What you do to the hair does not effect the structure of the hair. It's when the papilla, the bundle of cells at the bottom of the follicle that contain the growth cells that produce the hairs, is manipulated with that causes hairs to change. Tweezing, waxing, any means of forcibly removing a hair off of the papilla causes the body to sense the damage, and send in an increased blood supply that can make the hair coarser and distorted. If you send heat to the papilla via electrolysis or laser, the blood source is cauterized, damaging the production cells.

Shaving causes a blunt tip. That's all. When the shaved hair sheds and is replaced, the replacement hair will have the normal tapered tip.

The only difference between clipping and shaving is the tool.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
    teamjane
    (female)

teamjane HB User

Thanks for the replies.

A little update;

Today i started electrolysis on the sides of my face, chin and upper lip. I will be going once a week for a half hour session for about 8 weeks then re-assess. I was surprised that it wasn't anywhere near as uncomfortable as expected, however i do have a high pain threshold, i hardly felt it at all to be honest.

The lady advised that i shouldn't shave or use creams to remove the hair at all. She did say that i should continue to clip between sessions if i felt the need to. And i will.

It was nice talking to someone who had seen it all before and i sort of felt that she councelled me in some way too. I see my facial hair as being the most noticeable and hideous thing in the whole world, yet other people apparently hardly notice it unless they're looking for it. I guess i should feel lucky to have very blonde hair and be in a position to start this process only two weeks after "official" diagnosis.

I know that it will take a while but im feeling alot more confident about things. I just hope this works for me. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by teamjane; 07-21-2007 at 12:38 PM.

Closed Thread