It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board

• Rogaine-hair shedding after 8 months

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
    Marlo503
    (male)

Marlo503 HB User
    Unhappy Rogaine-hair shedding after 8 months

Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my question.

I have been using Rogaine 5% Foam twice daily for about 8 months, starting in mid august of 2008. I have been applying it to both the top and front of my scalp--I know that is has not been proven to regrow hair at the front, but I had been received a lot of comments from friends saying they noticed positive results there.

About a month ago I began noticing strands of hair on my hands when washing my hair, and when applying the Rogaine Foam. I have since done some research and read that Rogaine does cause shredding, but normally within the first 3 weeks to a month of initial usage. To my knowledge I never experienced/noticed any shedding during that period, but currently I am shedding a little bit of hair everyday, and my hair does look thinner than before in the front section of my scalp.

My question is, is it normal for Rogaine to cause Shredding this far into treatment? Further more, does the fact that my hair is shredding mean that the rogaine is not working?

Since the shredding started, I have resorted to washing my hair once a week, and only allowing it to get wet on the days I wash it. This has left my scalp rather itchy, but my girlfriend said that it's better to wash only once a week...Anyone know if that is true??

Again thanks for taking the time to read, I look forward to hearing your thoughts

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
    lov1254
    (female)

lov1254 HB User
    Re: Rogaine-hair shredding after 8 months

I can't give you an answer, but I do know your not the only one who has had this problem after using rogaine. There hair came out in different places. This person is a woman.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
    Marlo503
    (male)

Marlo503 HB User

Thanks for your time...did that person ever experience hair regrowth? I'm hoping that this is just a temporary stage as I've heard that Rogaine will cause some hair loss

Old 04-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
    lov1254
    (female)

lov1254 HB User

This person would lose lots of hair when they washed there hair in the sink, comb it. Also this was not just where they had used Rogaine but all over the head. the head was real dry and itched, they started putting olive oil to recondition the scalp real good waited awhile then washed it out. It stop falling out and ( YES) new hair is growing now again. A person does lose so much hair in the spring anyway. I do hope this helps you, and yours will be ok to.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

Give them a phone call - they are very nice and helpful on the phone and I'm sure they would be able to answer your questions better than most of us.
    I think Rogaine is great, but there's the chance that it does not work for everyone as you would like it to.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
    KristaK
    (female)

KristaK HB User

Rogaine works, but not without a price...
    Usually alot of people have complained that after using Rogaine and completely stopping treatment, their hair falls out...
    And that could be whats happening here.
    Have you stopped? or have you cut down at all?

Old 05-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
    Marlo503
    (male)

Marlo503 HB User

Hey Thanks for your input! No I have not stopped or slowed down since I began using Rogain Foam. I use once in the morning and once before bed. My hair stylist recommend that I start using the Nioxin hair products, which are supposed to clean the scalp. Ever heard of it before?

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-03-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
    Marlo503
    (male)

Marlo503 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lov1254 View Post
    This person would lose lots of hair when they washed there hair in the sink, comb it. Also this was not just where they had used Rogaine but all over the head. the head was real dry and itched, they started putting olive oil to recondition the scalp real good waited awhile then washed it out. It stop falling out and ( YES) new hair is growing now again. A person does lose so much hair in the spring anyway. I do hope this helps you, and yours will be ok to.
    Thanks for the recommendation. How much olive oil did they use, and for how long did they leave it in? Let me know, I have heard that Olive Oil is helpful in these types of situations!

Old 05-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
    lov1254
    (female)

lov1254 HB User

Warm the oilve oil, use enough so the scalp needs to have enough that you can massage it in real good. Leave on for 1/2 hour or so.
    You can then take a shower and since olive oil makes your skin soft than it will make your hair soft and your scalp healthy! Do Not condition after it will make it to oily.

You can do a search on Oilve oil and hair, and fine some good information on different things its good for. I use apple cider vingar as a final rinse on my hair to bring out the shine.
    Have a good day, hope this works good for you.

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-04-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Closed Thread