It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Migraines w/symptoms of Trigeminal Neuralgia?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
    Succinite
    (female)

Succinite HB UserSuccinite HB User
    Migraines w/symptoms of Trigeminal Neuralgia?

I've posted previously about my sudden onset of constant facial pain. My doctor was thinking it might be trigeminal neuralgia, but my case isn't 'typical' because my pain lasts for days, and isn't acute like typical TN. I also have pain in my neck, and sometimes in the back of my head. It's not a throbbing pain at all, but more of a pinching, squeezing pain, like the right side of my face and head is in a vise or someone is pulling on it. I've got 2 weeks until my Neurology appointment, but since my doctor says my MRI "right frontal lobe hyperintensities" are typical in chronic migraine sufferers, and I don't think I've ever had migraines before, is it possible that these pains and possible migraines could start so late (in my mid 30s?) I've never felt anything close to this before. The MRI doesn't show any tumors but several white spots around the areas I'm feeling the pain. Anyone with late-onset migraines or migraine "spots" on an MRI? Anyone with TN with migraines? I feel so lost and confused about all of this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
    C567978
    (female)

C567978 HB User
    Re: Migraines w/symptoms of Trigeminal Neuralgia?

I have suffered from migraines for years. My pain has generally centered on the right side, and also right temple behind the eye. Do you have migraines with auras? See zig zag lines, star bursts when having the headache? I have also had the pressure on the right side of my face (by my temple) during the migraine. As of late my migraines have taken a new twist and now back of my head and left side of my head behind my ear including my neck. I have had an MRI a no tumors - but I changed neurologists (good for me) and she ran (twice) a EEG and it came back abnormal. So, you might want to ask your dr about this test. Good Luck and I hope you don't have a lifetime of migraines.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
    Succinite
    (female)

Succinite HB UserSuccinite HB User
    Re: Migraines w/symptoms of Trigeminal Neuralgia?

Hi

I never thought I had migraines. I had occasional headaches, in random places, and maybe some "sinus" type headaches, but nothing like this at all. The migraine-type headaches are a new thing (and not a fun thing) for me lol. I don't think I get any aura when I get my headaches - at least not visually. I read somewhere that a stiff neck can also be a type of "aura" that happens before the onset of the headache. I do get that. It usually feels like a pulled muscle or pinched nerve in my neck, and strangely it hurts to move or press on my eyes. I'm not sure if this is common or normal or even an aura, but it's what I've got. I've still got a week or so until I see the neurologist. My biggest fear isn't that they diagnose me or find something, but that they find nothing and dismiss me. I do have the spots on my MRI in that area, and I know I wasn't imagining the pain, so I'm dying to find the cause and hopefully a solution. My regular doctor told me to take Aleve, but that does nothing for me. I will ask about an EEG, if my insurance will cover it. Thanks!

Reply Reply