It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Why do I get these chronic tension headaches??

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
    Dissonx
    (male)

Dissonx HB User
    Why do I get these chronic tension headaches??

I feel it mostly in the sinus areas, especially right below the eyes. Also I feel it in the back of the head and neck. It happens ever day, and it's been going on for 4 months, about the same amount of time I've had congestion.

I have a few theories of my own.

The most likely reason is something to do with the muscles in the back/shoulder/neck. I've been to chiropractors and they say I'm a little tight and locked up, but that's nothing special as lots of people are tight and locked up. Also, I went to a chiropractor consistently for over a month and didn't really notice any changes. I don't know why I'd be getting headaches from muscle tension because my posture is usually better than most. I definitely feel soreness/tension/tightness in the shoulders-- maybe they are too rounded forward, but forcing them back doesn't seem to improve anything.

On a side note, I did have a shoulder injury about a year ago that was corrected with surgery, but I still can't lay on that side without the area hurting. Maybe that is causing some sort of imbalance? I believe it affected my back exercises that I used to do-- I did barbell rows and because of the shoulder issue, I probably lifted with bad form. That said, my headaches never happened after working out, so since the timing doesn't correlate, it seems unlikely to me that improper workouts would have caused some sort of imbalance that causes my headache.

It could also be just from straining my eyes too much when I look at things close up, but technically I'm only slightly farsighted. Also, this wouldn't cause back or shoulder issues.

Lastly, it could have something to do with sinuses, since i definitely feel it in that area and I am congested all the time, and I never have any mucous anymore. Also, it seems to affect my breathing. My breathing is generally a little shallow and not great. Breathing deeply and intentionally seems to help my headache.

These headaches are a huge problem in my life and I'd be very greatful for anyone who can help me.

The following user gives a hug of support to Dissonx:
    mjefferson2005 (07-30-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
    Re: Why do I get these chronic tension headaches??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dissonx View Post
    I feel it mostly in the sinus areas, especially right below the eyes. Also I feel it in the back of the head and neck. It happens ever day, and it's been going on for 4 months, about the same amount of time I've had congestion.

I have a few theories of my own.

The most likely reason is something to do with the muscles in the back/shoulder/neck. I've been to chiropractors and they say I'm a little tight and locked up, but that's nothing special as lots of people are tight and locked up. Also, I went to a chiropractor consistently for over a month and didn't really notice any changes. I don't know why I'd be getting headaches from muscle tension because my posture is usually better than most. I definitely feel soreness/tension/tightness in the shoulders-- maybe they are too rounded forward, but forcing them back doesn't seem to improve anything.

On a side note, I did have a shoulder injury about a year ago that was corrected with surgery, but I still can't lay on that side without the area hurting. Maybe that is causing some sort of imbalance? I believe it affected my back exercises that I used to do-- I did barbell rows and because of the shoulder issue, I probably lifted with bad form. That said, my headaches never happened after working out, so since the timing doesn't correlate, it seems unlikely to me that improper workouts would have caused some sort of imbalance that causes my headache.

It could also be just from straining my eyes too much when I look at things close up, but technically I'm only slightly farsighted. Also, this wouldn't cause back or shoulder issues.

Lastly, it could have something to do with sinuses, since i definitely feel it in that area and I am congested all the time, and I never have any mucous anymore. Also, it seems to affect my breathing. My breathing is generally a little shallow and not great. Breathing deeply and intentionally seems to help my headache.

These headaches are a huge problem in my life and I'd be very greatful for anyone who can help me.
    I am no doctor, but it sounds to me as if you have joined my club-Allergies. Allergies can do all sorts of things to people like give them headaches, botch up thinking, throw one off balance and the list goes on and on and this has been a HORRIBLE allergy year.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
    ToPHeR35
    (male)

ToPHeR35 HB User
    Re: Why do I get these chronic tension headaches??

Sounds like I could've written this myself. I too have had multiple shoulder surgeries and recently re-injured my same shoulder. I also have the same type of sinus related issues since March. I feel them in the same areas...back of the head and down the neck, top of the head, and also deep where the ear nose and throat meet. My left ear will also crackle and pop randomly as if its a minor blockage too. Also, I'm not sure if it's related but my one pupil doesn't dilate normally and I also have 1 bothersome eye floater in that eye. Eye doctor said my vision is perfect and he didn't see anything. I'm thinking sphenoid sinus, but I've heard this is rare. I've also been visiting chiropractors for over a month and still no success either. I went because I got a sinus massage and she said she didn't feel any blockage and that my one side of my neck was very stiff and she recommended chiropractor. I've tried one who uses the activator and now I'm trying nucca, but I notice no difference. This is driving me crazy as well because I workout everyday to relieve stress and I can't lift because of my bad shoulder and now these weird head pressures and sinus issues throughout the day. My last resort now is a neti pot...

I would like to go to the ENT to get it checked out, but I've already blown through over 5k of insurance trying to figure out this shoulder issue...

Last edited by ToPHeR35; 06-12-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    back, headache, neck