It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Is this Migraine/Can Migraine Permanently Damage Inner Ears?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-26-2016, 06:21 PM   #1
    doggydruel
    (female)

doggydruel HB User
    Unhappy Is this Migraine/Can Migraine Permanently Damage Inner Ears?

So for the past 11 months I have been having a number of inner ear related problems (or so I think), but some other neuro problems as well.

It all started from 3 separate exposures to very high decibel noise which left me with a little permanent hearing loss in both ears and major depression.

Though I have not been around intense noise since May, my symptoms have progressed and now I have 'episodes' consisting of mild-moderate vertigo attacks (counterclockwise rotation or a rocking boat sensation), periods of non-disabling imbalance (yet I can have trouble walking), very high or low frequency tinnitus (high pitched squealing or a low pitched rushing sound like the tide), ear pressure, and small bouts of very high or low frequency hearing loss that are usually permanent. These episodes are usually set off by loudish but absolutely safe noises, as well as strenuous exercise and possibly foods.

Though I would think these symptoms describe cochlear hydrops, these are not my only symptoms I experience during said episodes:

1. Headaches that can best be described as an increased pressure sensation, like my head is being blown up. Usually, the headaches begin at the temples accompanying a small hearing loss, then progress into my sinuses where they become painful.
    2. Tingling that returns in specific areas of my hands and feet
    3. Pressure and 'dullness' behind the eyes, and sides of head (I see perfectly but it's as if my brain dissociates from my visual field)
    4. Crackling sounds in my head
    5. An infrequent 'fuzzy' and lightheaded feeling in my head and around my neck. Lots of lightheadedness.
    6. Almost passing out on a few occasions
    7. Occasional visual aura (once it was a blurry spot in vision, another time it was little white specks flashing in both eyes)
    8. Brain fog and cognitive problems
    9.Feelings of dissociating from the world around me, typically when some hearing goes out.
    9. Jaw pain
    10. Tight neck and facial muscles
    11. Frequent perception that I have a low grade fever
    12. Mild nausea
    13. Constant fatigue (I'm 21 but I have the energy levels of a 60 year old it seems.)
    14. Frequent panic attacks

Anyway, does this long list of symptoms seem to be suggestive of basilar or vestibular migraines?
    Relatedly, can migraines cause small degrees of progressive hearing loss, especially in the high frequencies? That's by far my most distressing symptom personally but I cannot find too much literature linking migraine to permanent hearing loss and cochlear symptoms in general.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2016, 12:19 PM   #2
    kpanda92
    (female)

kpanda92 HB User
    Re: Is this Migraine/Can Migraine Permanently Damage Inner Ears?

The physiology of a migraine would likely not result in permanent hearing loss or damage, imo. It sounds like you could be dealing with migraines that are a result of whatever happened to your ears before. There may be a few different issues happening that your doctors may need to address.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:41 PM   #3
    doggydruel
    (female)

doggydruel HB User

Hi kpanda92,

Do you mean to say that loud noise exposure can lead to the development of chronic migraines and other neurological complications? Didn't seem to happen from acoustic traumas way back, and my inner ears recovered and didn't acquire the excessive vulnerability to loud noise.
    I had definitely experienced headaches and some of the listed symptoms after the acoustic traumas in May, but they all dissipated the day or two after the intense noise. Then they started in full force about 2 months later, possibly from a loud noise trigger but likely from other complications as well.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:18 AM   #4
    kpanda92
    (female)

kpanda92 HB User

I have seen people with inner ear problems develop migraines related to their inner ear problems, but I am not a neurologist. Some people have migraines that only flare up when their inner ear issues are flaring up.

I suppose I wasn't as clear as I would like to have been. I meant that it sounded like you might be dealing with migraines that are related to these issues starting to flare up.

Then again, it could all be a huge coincidence. You would likely need to see both a neurologist and an ENT to have proper testing and results. I am not a doctor.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-28-2016 at 05:06 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    hearing loss, migraine, vertigo