It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

Chronic nasal congestion and tension headache

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2017, 05:54 PM   #1
stufedup92
(male)

stufedup92 HB User
Chronic nasal congestion and tension headache

Hi everyone, I have been waking up with tension-like (side of the head) heaches for the past two years. I also notice that I am very congested when I wake up with very thick mucuous throughout the day. Symptoms and headaches seem to get worse durign the summer and winter. I have already undergone a sleep study and confirmed that I had zero apneas. MRI showed nothing and CAT showed scattered mucosal thickening.

Also, I underwent sinus surgery since there was mild mucosal thickening. Symptoms seemed to clear up for about two weeks then resumed. I had two seperate allergy tests which confirmed I am allergic to Dust mites. I have been using sprays and allergy meds, and they provide relief, but it's minimal.

Sleep has been TERRIBLE, I am fatigued during the day, balance seems off, visual disturbances, and brain fog. I have been on an Autoimmune Protocol diet for a week but have seen minimal improvement. I never had trouble with dairy or grains when I was younger. Like I said these symptoms have been around for the last two years. Crazy thing is when I sleep well I feel worse that day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Chronic nasal congestion and tension headache

This may sound simplistic but have you tried the Breathe Right nasal strips? They really do work! WalMart sells a generic brand that's cheaper. You might also want to do a sinus rinse before bedtime as well to clear the sinuses out.

Last edited by Titchou; 12-28-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

The mucosal thickening is from inflammation of your sinuses, probably due to allergies. There is a long list of things you can do to reduce dust mites and clear the air of other allergens. Were your allergy tests comprehensive blood tests for all common allergens? It is unusual for just one thing to show up. National Jewish Hospital in Denver specializes in allergies, respiratory issues and autoimmune disorders. They have extensive information on what to do to minimize allergy and sinus symptoms. I would check out their website and do all you can. I would also make sure your allergy test checked you for weeds, molds, trees, grasses, pets, etc. and not just dust mites. You may benefit from seeing an allergist. Do you have an autoimmune condition as well? Those are separate from allergic conditions, but sometimes co-exist. I suffer from both and know how distressing these symptoms can be!

Old 01-08-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
Cayroo
(male)

Cayroo HB User

Thanks for asking for help for yourself! I had symptoms like yours, that included severe tension, that lasted for several years and it was misdiagnosed many times. I invite you to get a test for IgA deficiency to see if you have a immune problem in your sinuses. I hope you find relief soon.

Last edited by Cayroo; 01-08-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayroo View Post
Thanks for asking for help for yourself! I had symptoms like yours, that included severe tension, that lasted for several years and it was misdiagnosed many times. I invite you to get a test for IgA deficiency to see if you have a immune problem in your sinuses. I hope you find relief soon.
I agree that an IGA deficiency can cause chronic sinus and other respiratory infections, as well as GI and urinary infections. Is a simple blood test for this, well worth it if chronic respiratory or sinus infections occur.

Reply Reply

Tags
brain fog, headache, migraine over three weeks, nasal congestion, sleep problems