HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Headaches & Migraines (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/headaches-migraines/)
-   -   can anyone help? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/headaches-migraines/143310-can-anyone-help.html)

angelkitty081 01-18-2004 10:37 PM

can anyone help?

I have had headaches and migraines all my life. When I do get a migraine, which is only once every few months, they last anywhere from 6-72 hours. I have tension headaches all the time. This time though I have had a migraine for two weeks now. I don't know what to do to get rid of it. I haven't done anything different like started any new meds or anything. I can't sleep at night because of the intense throbbing at the top in the very back of my head. If I get up and start moving around the pain is so intense that I vomit. It all began as a dull headache that seemed to get worse as the day went on and by night I would be sick. Now every morning when I step out of bed I am sick. If I step outside into the light I immediatly get nauseous. When the throbbing begins it looks as though everything is smeared. Smells even make me sick. I am definatley not pregnant either. All I drink all day is water so it can't be caffeine withdrawel. I have tried everything I can think of. Massages, Tylenol, Aleve, (and I rarely take OTC meds cause I'm afraid of a rebound headache) Darvocet, Hydrocodone, Amerge, and Imitrex. The only thing that even lessens the pain is if I take a hydrocone and an Imitrex and phenergan for the nausea. I still have a dull headache then but after about 4 hours the hydrocodone wears off and in about 20 hours the Imitrex wears off and its the same thing again. Intense throbbing in that one area, nausea and vomiting. I don't want to just dull it with medication I want it to go away. :( I'm sorry this is so long but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advice.

Angel77 01-18-2004 11:01 PM

Re: can anyone help?

I've had a few that have also lasted a couple of weeks. They are awful!!! I always told my husband that I was going to take my head off and set it on the counter until it was gone! At times it would cause the left side of my face to swell and my eyes would stay teary.
I don't know why some of them lasted soooo long but I know that by the fourth day if anyone let light in or talked too loud I would come unglued!!! Made for a miserable home!! LOL
My migraines started with a head injury and about 5 out of 7 days would be migraine days.
Read my post on doxepin from a few days ago. I was put on it for something else, but after a few days on the lowest dose my migraines were gone completely!! I only get them now if I miss a few days of it. It's also inexpensive. I don't know if it would work for you but it's worth asking the docs. I got sick of trying to chase the pain after it started too! I just wanted to end them completely!
I called the pharmacist to ask if that was normal and they said that they are just finding out that it's an effect of doxepin and it can also work for chronic pain as well. They still don't know the why of it, and I frankly don't care, I'm just glad it works.

Sandi001 01-20-2004 06:19 PM

You should see a neurologist, I too have suffered from headaches all of my life, they gave me nerve pills for years, the one and only time I felt like I couldn't take it anymore I went to the emergency room and I had a brain tumor, I am just lucky to be here, the surgery did help my headaches but I still continued to have them but on a milder level..this pass May I had a bad one and almost passed out at the wheel of my car only to find out that I now have another brain tumor, and am waiting to see if surgery is going to be possible this time..I would not be waiting to see a doctor about this.

angelkitty081 01-20-2004 07:02 PM

Thank you for your help! Now I'm really scared though :( I sure hope you get your surgery and get better. :angel:

Angel77 01-20-2004 07:12 PM

Brain tumors are very rarely the cause of migraines. There's a number of things that cause them and sometimes we just don't know. They can also be genetic. I wouldn't worry about a brain tumor, but if you have good insurance, an MRI can give them insight into the possible causes. Like I said, they found a large mass of blood vessels caused by my spill off the pony. But the chances of something like a tumor are very slight. But it's better safe than sorry.

Sandi001 01-22-2004 08:36 PM

Angelkitty, I am sorry I didn't mean to scare you but make you aware that you do need to see a doctor even if just to be on the safe side, the odds of me getting this last one wasnt great but I did get it....tumors are not picky who they attack..it may not even be one, but please for your peace of mind and to know what is going on you should just see a good head doctor...what you have is not normal..so needs looking into, I pray and hope it is nothing, but be safe...