It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• elavil for headaches????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2004, 02:37 PM   #1
    stellinator

stellinator HB User
    elavil for headaches????

My doc rx'd me elavil for my daily headaches. Does this make sense to you guys? Has anyone taken elavil for headaches?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 05:15 PM   #2
    dagmarharris

dagmarharris HB User
    Re: elavil for headaches????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stellinator
    My doc rx'd me elavil for my daily headaches. Does this make sense to you guys? Has anyone taken elavil for headaches?
    Elavil is an older Antidepressant that I know of. My father took it many, many years ago. Like in the 70's it was used! I would ask you doctor to try one of the newer AD's-- like Celexa.

I have noticed my headaches were less on this, but I am currently having neck problems...which is where my trouble is. Have you tried Chiropractic for your headaches? I use this and I think it can help. Especially if you are having your headaches daily.

Have you thought of going to a p.doc for the medicine? Do you have any history of depression? If so, a psychiatrist is usually better working with something like Elavil, anyway.
    I think they understand doesages...better.
    ~dagmar

Old 01-27-2004, 06:05 AM   #3
    Karla
    Inactive

Karla HB User

My neurolagist who specializes in headaches recomended that I try elavil(amitriptaline). I did and it didn't work for me. I have heard of many people having great sucess with it. So please don't skip trying it. It has the most success rate out of all the antidepressents. Due to insurance changes I have had to see four different neuro's and all of them suggested the elavil. So it is a very common medicine to perscribe for headaches. Good luck trying it and hope it helps you.

Old 01-28-2004, 11:16 AM   #4
    sweet28

sweet28 HB User

Quote:

hi I'm taking that medication everynight and my son also it works really well for us

Old 01-30-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
    Mara

Quote:
    I took it for 2yrs for the migraines and it worked but recently came off it due to the cardio symptoms and thyroid hormone elevations. Another perk was it did help me get to sleep also but the daytime sedation was the pits. Well, the headaches are back daily accept for yesterday. I've got a painful one now thats starting to give me some nausia. My rheumy issued the rx and the neuro backed it (popular to treat migraine but at higher doses) I stayed at a lower dose, which worked. Now, I don't know what to do. I don't have the side effects but have the headaches back. I'm gonna try a sudafed and see if that helps. At 2am I took 2 tylenol/8hr extended relief when it started & was able to sleep but woke up with it and it's gotten worse...Sorry for the ramble.

Old 02-04-2004, 04:46 AM   #6
    zavey

zavey HB User

i was put on elavil several years ago by my neurologist as a "migraine preventative." didn't work. i don't recall any bad sad effects, but it didn't help the migraines or tension headaches at all.

Closed Thread