It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Need help - chronic pain on side of head

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2004, 05:49 PM   #1
    Jordie

Jordie HB User
    Need help - chronic pain on side of head

Hi,
    Just wondering if anybody can help me with what is causing my pain.

I am getting really chronic pain often just on one side of my head - it switches sides on different days.

I also have pain / tenderness on my eyebrow bone. This has been going on for years now.

Back when I began getting headaches, I saw a neuro, who thought I had some kind of virus, and put me on Epilum / tryptonol / and some other med, I was on these for over 1 year with NO relief, so I cracked it and stopped taking meds. Why did he prescribe me an antiepilepsy drug - epilum. I'm so baffled by this. Anyway, I then tried the chrio angle. This helped a lot, I stopped getting that pressure everyday as bad. Apparently my neck and upper back were out.

I also had my sinus checked too, was on antibiotics / then rhinocourt. This didn't seem to help - this was about 4 years ago.

So now I have the frontal pressure and tenderness, as well as this chronic pain on one side.

Could it be my sinsuses - I've heard that even though you may take things for this, that don't help, it doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have sinus trouble. Should I go get this checked again?

And can anyone help with the epilum dilemma? Has anybody had these, and know what they do.

I'm

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2004, 09:44 PM   #2
    LauraLu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
    Re: Need help - chronic pain on side of head

Hey, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. Many doctors prescribe drugs for epilepsy. Something to due with the nervous system I guess. Some work, some don't. Anyway, I always have chronic pain in my face - over my eyes, forehead, cheeks, etc. It sucks. I was tested for allergies and they came up positive for dust, mold, pet dander, and barley. Maybe try changing your diet around. Play around with it to find if certain foods may trigger your headaches. Also, it certainly wouldn't hurt getting allergy testing done yourself. I've been on allergy shots for about three months and have just now started getting some relief. I agree with you about the rhinocort-doesn't help much. I take Zyrtec D and have found some relief in this. I would definitely recommend finding a doc that you trust and someone who will listen. My heart goes out to you, because I can honestly say I know what you are experiencing! It's frustrating to wake up and think about the potential headache that's coming. It may sound crazy, but antidepressants have also helped. Good luck to you, and keep me posted!

Old 05-02-2004, 01:00 PM   #3
    beach_tiglet

beach_tiglet HB User

Hi, I have a lot of the same problems and am on an antiepilepsy med, topamax for migraines. It really helps the migraines. However, the migraines are throbbing vascular type headaches on one of the other side of my head, they are not the only type of headache I get. I get one-sided headaches that are constant, tight with pain in the temple region, sometimes going over the eyebrow. Sometimes they start at the neck and work their way up. I also have allergies and sinus problems. Fortunately I have a neurologist and ENT that recognized I have TMJ in addition to migraines and allergies and sinus problems. Finally I am getting a little relief. I am really new to the TMJ game, but what you are describing sounds all too familiar. You might want to jump over to that board and read around, especially the post on how to find a good TMJ dentist. The veterans there are really good at answering questions and know a lot more than I do, but it was just a thought. I guess it depends on how the headaches feel and how they respond to heat versus ice. Moist heat helps the TMJ headaches some, but makes migraines worse and vice versa.

Good luck, I know its frustrating when you have so many different things going on, and the doctor isn't explaining why they are putting you on the meds they are using. Then you still aren't responding to anything, and it still hurts! I hope you can figure out something soon. Dana

Old 05-04-2004, 05:45 AM   #4
    Jordie

Jordie HB User

Thanks so much guys. It's good to know that anti ep drugs are prescribed to others as well, so my neuro wasn't a crackpot!

I will definitely try the allergy testing, am willing to do anything right now. My head hasn't been too bad these last 2 days.

Re the TMJ, i don't think I have this, I once asked a dentist and she basically laughed at me. I spend a lot of time on the panic boards as I suffer from panic attacks and anxiety too. The amount of people that have this and also TMJ is astonishing. Someone ran a survey, and I was amazed. But most say they get jaw pain etc. I do clench a lot, but I don't have the facial / jaw pain. I'll keep it in mind though.

Old 05-04-2004, 07:38 PM   #5
    beach_tiglet

beach_tiglet HB User

You would be suprised the number of people who only clench and get migraines. There was a whole study done on a device designed for TMJ that they are now using as a migraine preventative just because so many migraine patients clench (without jaw pain). It's called an NTI-tss. It has really helped my migraines significantly. Dr. Wes Shankland did the study on migraine patients and has presented it to some pretty prestigious migraine clinics. It is worth keeping in mind. I hope you find some relief soon. I know how frustrating it is.

Closed Thread