It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• please help! constant headaches!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2004, 05:28 PM   #1
    alyssap3333

alyssap3333 HB User
    Question please help! constant headaches!!

HI everyone. Im 14 years old and for the past 2 and a half weeks ive been getting constant headaches. I have never hardly had headaches before my entire life. They can last any where from 30 sec. to a whole day and occur in different parts of my head. sometimes the front, the sides, my forehead, the back. Sometimes its a constant pain and sometimes its a dull throbbing. The pain is never very extreme though fortunately. I dont think it cuold be a migrain because i havent felt nauseaus or any of the other symptoms. Anyone know what could be cuasing these or what I should do? Could it be sinuses? Could it be my braces pulling my teeth? Could it be a brain tumor is it serious? Should I see a doctor? please help me! thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2004, 09:15 AM   #2
    Laney00
    (female)

Laney00 HB User
    Re: please help! constant headaches!!

Migraines do not have to have all those accompanying symptoms, such as auras and nausea, they are usually diagnosed when they are one sided - meaning not the entire head such as a tension headache. I wouldn't start panicing about a brain tumor, but if the headaches persist I would talk to your parents and see if they would let you talk to your doctor about it. I remember when I was younger and had a couple week long headache, they just gave me allergy medication and weren't worried.
    Be careful of taking tylenol, advil, etc., as you can get rebound headaches from frequent use.
    Hang in there....it could be menstrual related, stress, food intolerance, sinuses, allergies, etc. Just keep track of them, severity, and when they occur, sometimes people get lucky and figure out the triggers.

Old 05-15-2004, 07:22 AM   #3
    beach_tiglet

beach_tiglet HB User

Hi Alyssa, I would get the braces checked out too. I've seen lots of people on the TMJ forum talk about how their braces have made their head hurt. I have migraines, and my migraines don't feel like you are describing. I do have TMJ also, and those headaches are more constant and dull pain, in the jaw, on the side of your head, in your forehead, in the back where your head meets your neck and seeming to creep up a little, does that make sense? They come from me biting down too hard (clenching), so I would guess that is what it feels like when your braces are pulling your jaw too.
    I would think it's worth getting checked out. Take care. Dana

Old 05-16-2004, 06:48 AM   #4
    californiasunflower
    Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User

Also, think about your diet. Diet can have an impact on headaches and migraines, particularly foods with Sodium Nitrate. Have you noticed the headaches after eating hotdogs, lunchmeat, bacon, etc. Or how about after eating food with cheeses, bananas, avocados, yogurts, nuts, legumes, citrus fruit, etc.

The weather too. If the barometric pressure is up so are headaches.

Smoke from fires can cause headaches.

Sleep interruption.

Several triggers ganging up on you.

FYI: Dull throbbing is a sign of a migraine.

Old 05-16-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
    hairdur

hairdur HB User

A change in sleeping habbits too can cause headaches. If you are used to getting up every morning at 6am and then on a saturday you decide to sleep in until 10 am chance are you might wake up with a horrible headache.

Old 05-16-2004, 06:51 PM   #6
    californiasunflower
    Senior Veteran

That's absolutely correct! Too much or too little sleep can cause migraines/headaches.

Old 05-19-2004, 05:50 PM   #7
    Workthatthang52

Workthatthang52 HB User

Hi I am Jessica and I am 14. I had severe headaches ever since last year! My mom took me to get a cat scan and they didnt find anything.

I still have them and they are so bad I cry when I get them! I ran out of ideas of what to do to get rid of them!

The doctors put me on pills but that didnt help. I wake up every morning now with those headaches. We can go though this together
    ~Jessica

Old 05-20-2004, 07:08 AM   #8
    californiasunflower
    Senior Veteran

Jessica,

If your headaches meds. are not helpful, part of the way to find out what works for you is letting your physician know that it is not working. That way, the doctor can prescribe the next drug to help you.

What are you taking now to abort your headaches? Medicine that helps one person may be the bane to another but there are effective migraine preventive meds and ones that will abort a migraine headache quickly plus allow you to continue functioning so you don't have to give up a day at school, etc.

Old 06-03-2004, 04:45 PM   #9
    taylor2000

taylor2000 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Workthatthang52
    Hi I am Jessica and I am 14. I had severe headaches ever since last year! My mom took me to get a cat scan and they didnt find anything.

I still have them and they are so bad I cry when I get them! I ran out of ideas of what to do to get rid of them!

The doctors put me on pills but that didnt help. I wake up every morning now with those headaches. We can go though this together
    ~Jessica
    Dear Jessica:
    I started having headaches like this when I was about 25 yrs. old -- (had many headaches less severe when I was your age and younger). I am 40 now. Severe pain in back left of head like a sledgehammer is pounding away. I didn't realize it at the time but it is now apparent that the day before my period when my progesterone levels drop, I get the headache because my body can't seem to handle this hormonal change each month. After suffering each month for the last 15 years (and sometimes a few other times per month), I found RELPAX. I've been taking it when needed for the last year. If you take it as soon as you start to feel it coming on, RELPAX WILL relieve your symptoms within an hour. Eat crackers at least just as you feel it coming on so your stomach doesn't flop on you. If you get nauseous, sometimes if you take Mylanta, the mere settling of your stomach will stop your head! Believe it or not. RELPAX doesn't make me too foggy or drowsy like some of the others. It actually numbs the area in a strange and relieving type of way so I'm greatful that I've finally found it. Much luck to you. Hope this helps.
    Jo Jo

Old 06-30-2004, 04:14 PM   #10
    lucybooz
    (female)

lucybooz HB User

at 14 you are obviously a student. do you wear glasses? if so, perhaps you need a new prescription ....if you don't, perhaps you do need glasses. maybe a visit to the eye doctor is in order.

Closed Thread