It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Icepick (or stabbing) Headache

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2004, 06:02 AM   #1
    pauline38
    Inactive

pauline38 HB User
    Unhappy Icepick (or stabbing) Headache

I frequently get migraines but have had a four "icepick headaches" in my life -- two of which were recent and completely unbearable. I took motrin and then vicodin and it did practically nothing for the pain. I read that a drug called Indomethacin helps with this kind of pain. Does anyone know anything about this drug for pain like this? Also, does anyone else suffer from this type of headache or is it really uncommon? My internist acted like I was crazy and should go to the e.r. because she had never heard of a headache like this -- intermittent throughout the day and like someone was hitting me with an icepick on the side of my head. I am seeing a neurologist in a few weeks but do any of you have any suggestions? Thanks!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2004, 05:45 PM   #2
    mystiq86
    (female)

mystiq86 HB User
    Re: Icepick (or stabbing) Headache

Yeah, I have those type of headaches practically on a daily basis. It is pretty unbearable, however, I've found that relpax helps somewhat. Soma taken with aleve helps take the edge off the pain. I'd never wish this type of pain on anyone. I hope I was of some assistance. I also hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Old 06-15-2004, 11:54 AM   #3
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Sounds like a migraine! I get them too. As soon as I said the words Ice Pick to my Neurologist he knew it was migraine. My "ice pick" is always behind one eye and often stabs into a ear. Oh I have suffered for years over these.
    I take Amerge 2.5 which really helps. Also rubbing bengay on temples or putting bags of ice on temples helps so much.
    I went off Birth Control Pills about 8 months ago. My migraines went from monthly to just now and again.

Old 06-15-2004, 07:00 PM   #4
    pauline38
    Inactive

pauline38 HB User

Thanks, I will look into the Amerge. Can I ask what kind of birth control pills you were on because I read that the monophasic pills help with hormonal migraines.

Old 06-16-2004, 04:52 AM   #5
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Sounds more like a cluster headache to me but the overwhelming number of cases are male. The pain is like a migraine amplified to the point of flying rage.
    A good diagnostic determinant is a migraine needs peace, quiet and dark.
    A cluster causes you to run around and try to keep from banging your head against a wall.

Try Inderal (propranolol) or another prescription beta-blocker.

I get relief from ergotamine but since it's an abortifacient it's not a great drug for women.
    Other tries might be Sansert (methysergide) but it feels a lot like mescaline...well, so does the ergot actually.

There are newer inhaled drugs that I'm not up on (like Imitrex)...

Get something prescribed, no need to suffer.
    The NSAID analgesics (including aspirin, motrin, and even prescription indomethacin) are really of very little use with these vascular headaches. There is nothing sold over the counter that's remotely effective for migraine/cluster control.

ps....Look for food triggers; they are usually present. (My 100% trigger is combining alcohol with Dark Chocolate....DEADLY!)

Last edited by zip2play; 06-16-2004 at 04:54 AM.

Old 06-16-2004, 06:44 AM   #6
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    this is a 2-butoxyethanol headache

You are describing it correctly. It is also the kind of headache that the gulf war vets describe. See if you can find some more info on the internet

Neurologist probably can't offer anything for it. Taking medications will add to your overall chemical load, and that can be counter productive if you are having a response to too much of a chemical in the first place.

But you can stop exposure to anything that has 2-butoxyethanol (ethylene glycol monobutyl ether) The more exposure, the worse the headaches.

Try eliminating exposure to this chemical. Wear chemical goggles any time your eyes burn & hurt as this is the primary route of exposure.

Old 06-16-2004, 09:30 AM   #7
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Pauline- Migraines are something I delt with and still do from time to time for almost two decades! Cluster headaches don't last like a migraine. It usually takes a good 48 hours for a migraine to run it's course. Thus the rebound migraine.
    I took lot's of different pills the last one was Lo Overal. Some were worse than others. One I had a terrible time with was Mircette and OrthoTricyclin.
    At one point they had me taking them non stop with no break for a period since mine were usually when I stopped for that "off" week.
    I finally decided I wanted to try going off the pill. My Neurologist kept telling me to do this but my Gyno. insisted it wasn't related?
    It's been a God send for me, night and day to what they were before.
    I take Amerge if I feel one coming on. the trick is get it immediately the minute you feel it coming on. Once it gets full blown it's often hard to stop.
    I take Inderal LA as well but it's for a heart issue. As much as I think this helps I was taking it while on BC and still had at least one a month!
    I would find a good Neurologist. You don't have to live like this.
    Like I mentioned before a few tricks that really help
    Bengay or anything like that Mineral Ice, Icy Hot rub it on temples and forehead. Be careful not to get this in your eyes!
    Ice Packs I lay in a dark room with one on which ever side the pain is on.
    Also if you switch from HOT to COLD it can help the blood vessles dialate.
    Another thing that brings relief is peppermint oil on forehead and temples.
    Massage is GREAT also.
    Hope this helps.

Closed Thread