It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• stabbing pains

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2004, 08:13 AM   #1
    apriltones
    Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User
    stabbing pains

does any one know what it is that causes short sharp stabbing pains in head? not a headache or anything, thanks, love april

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2004, 04:15 PM   #2
    fear of surgery

fear of surgery HB User
    Re: stabbing pains

Re short stabbing pains in the head....funny you should ask!

Just now I had another recurrence of exactly that same thing. Basically they ARE headaches, though very brief. They are called "ice pick" headaches and can hit at any time.

They're not the same as the "ice cream" headache that comes on after eating, well, ice cream or guzzling very cold drinks.

You need not worry about these -- in fact, they sometimes precede a more typical headache or migraine. Other times, they just strike and that's the end of them until the next time. Many people who get them are headachy-type folks anyway, like me.

Unless this is the worst head pain you've ever felt and it continues for more than a brief time, you should be fine. If you're nervous...check it out with your doctor.

Old 07-13-2004, 04:21 PM   #3
    apriltones
    Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

thanks loads for your reply! really reassuring! i have these type pains all over, think might be fibro so maybe thats it in head too, and bit of anxiety, cheers, take care x april

Old 08-03-2004, 12:33 PM   #4
    alyssap3333

alyssap3333 HB User

the same thing happens to me!! they can happen anywhere on my head. They dont hurt extremely or anything, im just really sick of them everyday.

Old 08-09-2004, 01:22 PM   #5
    T.J

T.J HB User

its not migraine it could be an cluster ( another type of headache ) some people say they have it soooo often and its sooo much pain the be wanting to commit suicide

Old 08-09-2004, 07:27 PM   #6
    Karla
    Inactive

Karla HB User

Yes, it could be cluster headaches. Do a search on google for cluster headaches and you will find some wonderful information on symptoms and support groups and other very usefull information. It could also be ice pick ha. But check out both and then get to a neurologist that specializes in ha and get an official diagnosis and treatment plan. Good luck!

Closed Thread