It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• question about aura's prior to migraine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2004, 11:41 AM   #1
    ladybug8372
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybug8372 HB User
    question about aura's prior to migraine

My 13 year old has suffered occasionally with migraines for about 4 years now. She does have very bad allergies, and they think that the migraines are related to allergies. She has always gotten the "aura" sign prior to getting a migraine. The spotty vision (always in one eye) usually lasts about a minute, then 5 minutes later the migraine starts. Today, she got the "aura"---so we knew what was coming, BUT, it was different this time. It lasted a good 10 minutes, maybe 15 minutes, before her eyesight returned to normal, but the migraine did start approximately 5 minutes after the onset of the aura. Is it normal/ok for the aura to last as long as it did? The other thing that was different was that the migraine headache was on the opposite side---she always has the throbbing pain on her left side, today, it is on the right side. This is only her second migraine this year, so they dont bother her that often, but when they hit, they last anywhere from 4 hours to 3 days. Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 09:16 PM   #2
    llw03c
    Inactive

llw03c HB User
    Re: question about aura's prior to migraine

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybug8372
    My 13 year old has suffered occasionally with migraines for about 4 years now. She does have very bad allergies, and they think that the migraines are related to allergies. She has always gotten the "aura" sign prior to getting a migraine. The spotty vision (always in one eye) usually lasts about a minute, then 5 minutes later the migraine starts. Today, she got the "aura"---so we knew what was coming, BUT, it was different this time. It lasted a good 10 minutes, maybe 15 minutes, before her eyesight returned to normal, but the migraine did start approximately 5 minutes after the onset of the aura. Is it normal/ok for the aura to last as long as it did? The other thing that was different was that the migraine headache was on the opposite side---she always has the throbbing pain on her left side, today, it is on the right side. This is only her second migraine this year, so they dont bother her that often, but when they hit, they last anywhere from 4 hours to 3 days. Thanks in advance.

i've had soooo many of these too. its unfortunate for someone so young to have one of these. they really are quite intense...at least for me. mine are soo bad that i lose all my energy and my day is practically over. i have to go to sleep to get rid of it. i'll describe the way it is for me:

aura can last anywhere from 10 min to 45 min. sometimes it varies. my aura, starts as a small spot and grows to a large sparkling object that covers 3/4 my visual field. after about 10min it localizes to one side of my visual field.
    then, the intense pain begins. at this point, my day is over. the intense pain lasts about 3-4 hours but there is lingering pain in the neck area for about a day and a half afterwards.

it is said that aura precedes the headache but i'm so experienced now, i can identify signs that actually com before the aura. this comes in the form of slight vision distortion. you won't be able to see people's faces or words/sentences clearly but the aura hasn't actually begun yet.

how to treat it?? prior to the aura, as i described, there is a visual distortion. it is important that you be able to identify this before the aura begins. when you see this coming on, IMMEDIATELY take some pain killer (advil, tylenol, etc..). if i don't take it at this stage, the pain killer won't do any good. if you take it at the very early stages of the headache, the pain is significantly reduced and you might be able to salvage your day.

how is this triggered for me?? usually intense aerobic activity without warming up. if i force my heart rate up to soon it happens. if i raise it slowly, i'll have a chance to avoid the headache. luckily they don't happen often but when they do they are an absolute KILLER!!!

Old 08-06-2004, 05:01 AM   #3
    ladybug8372
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybug8372 HB User

thanks for the info. her vision disturbances had never lasted more than a minute--prior to the migraine...but yesterday, it lasted a good 10-15 minutes, so I didnt know if something more was wrong or not. I did call her dr and they said that it can happen that long and longer, and that it could be that with her growing, that her migraines are changing along with her body. when my daughter gets her migraines, they most always end her whole day as well. she got the "spotty vision" at noon yesterday...unfortunately...but not that it matters, i was at the store school shopping, and didnt have any meds on me....so we left immediately and came home. I gave her meds at 12:45, she immediately went to bed and stayed there for the rest of the day--meds were givin again at 4:45 and then again at 8:45. She had been on Imitrex--and would ALWAYS take it as soon as the vision disturbances began....but they never helped, not in the least. She would take the maximum allowed a day, and still no relief. She is now on Fiorcet....and with the exception of yesterday, it was always given the as soon as the spots occurred...but regardless of how/when it is given, as you can see, I had to give her multiple doses, and it didnt help either. I am hoping that she will wake up this morning and be better....sometimes it will linger as long as 3 days...but sometimes better after about 4 hours, but also times where she will wake the next day better. If she isnt better today, I will take her to the dr to get one of those shots for migraines. In the past, they wouldnt give it to her because of her age... she is 13 now, she is 5'6 and weighs 130 pounds---so she is adult size, so they are willing to give it to her now. Her first year, she got the migraines 3 times...within that summer....ever since then, it usually happens 1-2 times per year--this is her second this year, so hopefully this is it for this year. thanks again for the info. i sure hope they find something that will cure one within 30 minutes!! good luck with yours.

Old 08-06-2004, 07:15 AM   #4
    llw03c
    Inactive

llw03c HB User

the meds don't do anything??? i once went to a neurologist about this and he gave me prescription drugs (forgot the name of it). the thing about drugs is that its not like its preventive. you pretty much have to wait for the headache. is there any type of activity that triggers her headaches?? for me, its intense exercise. the key to controlling this is to identify the triggers.

what the doctor said made sense. as i've gotten older, they became more frequent. with me, although they became more frequent, they weren't as severe. early on (mid teens) i'd get them 3 times per year. now (mid 20's) i'd get them 10-15 times per year.

Old 08-06-2004, 12:22 PM   #5
    ladybug8372
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybug8372 HB User

The dr's have only tried her on these two medications (Imitrex and Fiorciet) due to her age. And with these, it is not preventative as well, you have to wait until they start. They were blaming the migraines on allergies---which I am torn on that thought---because her father and grandfather (on her dads side) both get migraines. And I have read where migraines are inherited. BUT...she is allergic to mold, among a bunch of other things. Sometimes we dont know what triggers the migraines, but there are times, such as this one, where we are almost certain what triggered it. She goes to an old school (46 years old)---and the first year we went for open house, they had not had time to "air out" the school or turn on the air---so it was sooo musty, mildewy smell----the next day, she ended up with a migraine that lasted 3 days. The following school year, we went for open house, things were fine...she didnt get a migraine. This year, we went and only one class room was moldy smelling--we were only in there 3 minutes max...she got the migraine the very next day. So, am going to have to investigate that room to see if it is any better when they start school Monday, if it isnt, we will have to do something different....dont know what--as she is in AG classes and that is the only AG teacher...so dont know what alternatives there are there in that situation. She had a migraine back in February--have no idea what triggered it. It lasted 2 days. Today she is much better, has a very slight headache, but not really bothering her. So, aside from when she is exposed to moldy smells, we have no idea what the other trigger things are. Those 2 times are the only times that we know for certain what triggered them--otherwise, we are stumped. We would go through her daily routine, what she done, what she ate, where she had been, nothing no different than any other day...so we just cant quite peg it out. Thanks for helping me though.

Old 08-16-2004, 06:33 AM   #6
    coppertop
    Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User

It is normal for an aura to last 20-40 minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-16-2004, 10:32 AM   #7
    MagnaV45

MagnaV45 HB User

I have had migraines since early teens and am not 40's. While your daughter is in a state of growth, or hormonal change the migraine triggers may be constantly changing. Mine have come and gone through good and bad stages year after year. Even disappeard for months at a time. Good thinking about the mold though!! Have you any of the nasal sprays or allergy meds? Histines (sp?) from allergys can be a big trigger. A Zinc nasal spray prior to entering the classroom might help--ask her allergist. This is just a trick I found for me--not based on any scientific evidence. What has been tried as an abortive before Imitrex? I used that then tried Zomig -- no luck, now I have found that Relpax works better and has fewer side effects for me. Also--schools can't prevent her from carrying needed emergency meds with her--Supreme Court case based on asthmatic carrying inhaler. Kid and Parents won. Decision concluded that emergency medications that must be taken at the first sign of condition are basis to carry with them even in class. I understand that Fioricet should be in Office but not abortives. She and you may want to discuss having one with her at all times. Best of luck.
    BB--Magna

Old 08-16-2004, 07:29 PM   #8
    ladybug8372
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybug8372 HB User

my daughter has been on every allergy med available, every nasal spray available, OTC and prescription...as well as 2 years of allergy shots---not back to back, we gave it break after a year--then re-worked the shots with a different concentration---we have had no success with anything tried. she is on no medications for allergies...EXCEPT when she will be around a known allergen...such as a moldy classroom, or cats for example. we were spending $300 a month on allergy meds and shots...just for her to continue having problems. she does just as well without it as she does with it. when i give it to her when i know she will be around something that she will react highly to....it just gives her that "small" protection. I am giving her allergy meds now as well as benadryl until the school can get the mold problem resolved--of which they are working on. because of her age, only the Imitrex and Fioricet meds were given for her migraines. her school is very supportive and does not give any problems concerning her meds. her principal has encouraged me to continue with all that i am doing until the problem has been resolved....even though the benadryl makes her drowsy---he is aware of her allergy problem and is aware that she will feel drowsy and feels that her feeling drowsy is much better than potential reactions.....and he is working with us and is aiming to get the problem resolved immediately. i was not concerned with the school issues...i knew that they would work with me...and try to resolve the matter as quickly as possible....as our schools put our kids health first. ....i just needed to know about the auras. thanks anyway.

Old 08-17-2004, 12:45 PM   #9
    MagnaV45

MagnaV45 HB User

Glad to hear the school is helping out as much as possible--you're lucky. Sounds like you really have your hands full and are doing everything humanly possible to find answers for your daughter. Aura's are funny and different for everyone--I wish you and her the best of luck as migraines are exhausting.
    BB--Magna

Closed Thread