It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Help! Pregnant, bending headache

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2005, 06:22 PM   #1
    bringontherain
    (female)

bringontherain HB User
    Help! Pregnant, bending headache

Starting four days ago, I get a severe headache a few hours within waking for the day. It lasts all day, and Tylenol does not help. Bending over or coughing makes it a hundred times more intense for a few seconds, but mainly it just persistently aches. It is at the back/top of my head.

I'm 33 weeks pregnant, and have been looking online about headaches. This is one that they say can be a dangerous sign, but that's all I can find! I haven't had high blood pressure or swelling, pretty noneventful pregnancy, although I am a type I diabetic.

I'm thinking of calling my Ob tomorrow, but am afraid they will say "it's just a headache." Do you think so?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 09:55 PM   #2
    violaa
    (female)

violaa HB User
    Re: Help! Pregnant, bending headache

when i was preg with my 2nd child i got this terriable headache had no idea what it was i took tylanol it didnt help and it to hurt when i cough or bend over real bad i would lay in bed and put pressure on my head so i called my doc got in to see him he told me i was having migrianes and prescribe me fiorcet they worked wonders gl hope you get to feeling better

Old 02-23-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
    MagnaV45

MagnaV45 HB User

Call the Dr.! I also had migraines during pregnancy and they were able to prescribe something for the pain that didn't hurt the baby. Headache in the morning is not something to be written off. You are paying for prenatal care - so go ahead and use it.
    BB - Magna

Old 02-23-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
    rids

rids HB User

You can try some simple plain old magnesium tablets. Cal/mag/zinc works wonders for headaches- and is safe to take while pregnant.

Old 02-23-2005, 06:30 PM   #5
    bringontherain
    (female)

bringontherain HB User

Thanks for your replies! Of course I've been scouring the internet, and I've come across the term "exertional headache" which seems to describe what I'm experiencing, except in addition to the acute pains, I seem to develop a sustained ache (top/back of head, like pope's cap) just from being up and about. By the afternoon, the sustained pain fades, but the acute pains become more severe when I bend or cough. I wish I could find something with these related to late pregnancy, besides the possibility of hypertension. My bp is fine.

I'll see my Ob tomorrow, but after talking to him on the phone, he says it sounds like (emotional) stress headaches. I disagree! I had a very stressful day, but my headache from this morning went away as the stressful day progressed. But if I bend over - WOW, OW!!! This Ob thinks I worry too much; he deals with anxious pregnant women all the time.

I'll see my high-risk Ob, perinatologist next Monday. He takes it much more seriously and wants me on bedrest until then. I'm staying somewhere in the middle ground... going to keep working but avoiding bending, try to rest as much as possible within my normal routines.

I would really like an MRI, or whatever, and to see a neurologist, or whatever. Headaches are entirely new for me! I would bet these are pregnancy-induced, but I want to be sure they're not serious, and not likely to get worse. ???

About seven years ago, I had an asthma attack and stopped breathing. They said I should have died, or at least been brain-damaged. I lived =o) and there seemed no evidence of brain damage. (Some would argue,LOL!)

Then, too, three years ago, I had a grand mal seizure from an insulin reaction, and had cycles of amnesia. That time they did do a brain scan, but saw no damage... and again I had a good recovery.

Because of these factors, I'm slightly curious about possible "damage" that might have been done, that might just be showing up now, under the stress of my third pregnancy in four years. I don't FEEL stressed, but my body might be.

Hopefully I will get some tests done and find out what's going on.

Closed Thread