It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• 14 and constant occular H/A with Dizziness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2005, 11:57 PM   #1
    Travelin04
    (female)

Location: I am a resident of Missouri and own property there, but have not lived there, except a few weeks to months a year for 6 years. I currently reside in California
    Travelin04 HB User
    14 and constant back of the head H/A with Dizziness

Hi, I am new. My daughter has a complicated case and I would like some suggestions. She had occas dizziness since last Feb. sometimes with a headache. Then in mid August it became almost daily. Then Late Sept the dizziness and headache came and has never gone away. She has had MRI, CT (all negative, except for what they could not see on MRI for braces). She had extensive visual and balance testing that showed a problem with her left vestibular area. Her symptoms are:
    Occipital headache
    Vertigo (she feels like she is spinning)
    Occasional pain in left side of forehead just above eye (3-4 times a week)
    frequently has double vision or sees spots in her vision (usually left eye, occas both)
    frequent (3-4 times a week) sharp shooting pains in left ear
    Constant nausea
    Frequent vomiting (usually 8-12 times a day)
    Palpitations
    Frequent fast heart rate (3-4 times a day)
    left thigh weakness
    We have seen her reg. MD, 3 neurologists, 2 cardiologists and been hospitalized twice. They keep saying it is a migraine that has caused vestibular damage to the left vestibular area and she just has to learn to accept it and live with it. She is unable to attend school (on home studies) because reading or writing causes the dizziness to be worse followed by vomiting. We have tried: Amitriptyline, Topomax (caused kidney stones), Keppra, Ergotrates, Relpax, Imitrex, Scopolamine, Lorazepam, meclizine, dramamine, Kytril, Zofran, depakote, Neurontin, morphine, demerol, percogesic, vicodin, excedrin, tylenol, ibuprofen, Toradol, Ultram, vestibular rehab, bi-daily, daily, & three times weekly exercise regimen (as recommended by the 1st neurologist), wrist band from Sharper Image (electronic motion sickness band). NOTHING has even slowed this down. Currently have an appointment in Cleveland Ohio, Cleveland Clinic May 31. (pending Insurance approval).

Last edited by Travelin04; 03-08-2005 at 12:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2005, 11:15 AM   #2
    lilsunshine46
    Veteran
    (female)

lilsunshine46 HB User
    Re: 14 and constant occular H/A with Dizziness

Hi I wanted to say I hope your daughter gets some answers at her appt.It's a shame it's so far away, time frame wise, I don't know about distance.
    My 11 yr old has suffered from daily headaches since at least 3 yrs old, we found out she is missing a part of her brain that is causing her ventricles to enlarge causing spinal fluid to build up. She has a pseudotumor , although the dr thinks she also has a benign tumor in her brain due to a genetic disorder NF1 which involves cafe au lait birthmarks.
    Anyway it has been a rough year for her, she had a spinal tap and tried on many drugs. My twin sister and I were discussing this morning how drugs she can take will knock us on our rears but don't affect her at all. Must be the chemicals in her brain backfiring.
    Let me know if I can be of any help at all. We all try to answer any question we can. There is a thread here from hanasnana that we all answer, her daughter is 16.
    Good luck,
    Bonnie

Old 03-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #3
    thomas3000
    Inactive
    (male)

thomas3000 HB User

Hello,

Tell me what her diet was like before this happened and now...and she doesn't have to learn to live with it, it's ashame you were told that..

Last edited by thomas3000; 03-08-2005 at 05:42 PM.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:22 AM   #4
    Travelin04
    (female)

Location: I am a resident of Missouri and own property there, but have not lived there, except a few weeks to months a year for 6 years. I currently reside in California
    Travelin04 HB User

Her diet was a typical diet of a midwestern family with home cooked meat, potatoes, and vegetables 5 days a week for 2 meals with occasional take out from burger places, pizza, or mexican. Now she eats much less candy, drinks much less soda, and much more water, more fast food due to the lifestyle we keep with all the appointments. Her weight has stayed about the same since November.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:19 AM   #5
    thomas3000
    Inactive
    (male)

thomas3000 HB User
    Talking Re: 14 and constant occular H/A with Dizziness

Well, you've pretty much answered your own question...The diet is simply the Standard American Diet(SAD). Some things need to be changed here...I would also like to know it there is any European Ancestory in your family...It doesn't matter if she cuts down on these things..(soda, candy, Junkfood) they need to be completely illiminated..No bread, no pizza, no pasta, no wheat products, no candy, no soda, no junk food...Try this for a while...And be strict on it, because it's putting major stress on her system....Make sure she follows it for 6 mos or so...Does she have any blood in her stool?

Last edited by thomas3000; 03-09-2005 at 09:22 AM.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #6
    mohouse
    (male)

mohouse HB User

Read this post from CIN66. I have these same symptoms and Im 31m.

Check out this post I found on the FORUM from CIN66.
    03-11-2005, 05:59 AM
    cin66
    Junior Member Join Date: May 2004

BE ALERT to short sharp stabbing pains in head!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all just want to warn people that short (10-15 seconds) sharp stabbing pains to the head can be a very significant sign that a brain tumor is present. My 18yo son was having these numerous times a day - and each time we took him to the doctor they would insinuate that perhaps he was getting a migraine or as they mainly come on after any physical activity, exertion headaches. He had suffered with this for some time and then last tuesday got a massive headache from nowhere at 11pm and began throwing up saying his head was going to explode...he could barely walk and so i took him to hospital. By the time we got there (15 minutes) his lips and eyelids and entire face began to swell. They immediately got him a cat scan which revealed a 3cm diametre tumor on his brain with a 12cm diametre cyst overlying it. The pressure on the brain was so much so that they did not think he would make it to the operating room. Thank god he did survive and is making a remarkable recovery. If not for an observant dr that insisted on a cat scan he would not be with us today. My son also had other problems such as vertigo, dizziness and loss of balance - but this was ALWAYS put down to an ear problem. So PLEASE if you experience these 'short sharp pains' to the head - please insist on a catscan or MRI as even though it could be nothing at all - it could also very well save your life!!

I scoured the net many times looking for information on short sharp stabbing pains to head and found numerous people enquiring about the same thing - but with no results, other than 'exertion headaches'...so hopefully this post may get others to insist on getting a catscan - as this was the major symptom to my sons tumor.

His tumor was a pilocytic astrocytoma, which is relatively benign (can change if not caught) although the tumor was not the immediate risk to his life last week, rather the overlying cyst and pressure on brain was, it could of had potentially fatal consequences if not acted upon so quickly. This tumor generally affects younger children (my son was just unlucky to get it at his age), and if picked up upon early enough can have an excellent cure rate. My boy will now have MRIs regularly (as although most of the tumor has been removed - residual cancer cells are still there) just to make sure it does not get aggresive - if any changes come about he will get hit with radiation and chemo to blast the rest of the tumor away, at present they say has already been thru enough trauma...so will just watch and see.

Cindy

Old 03-11-2005, 10:19 PM   #7
    Travelin04
    (female)

Travelin04 HB User
    Re: 14 and constant occipital H/A with Dizziness

thomas 3000,
    Thanks for the reply. We have German, Irish, American Indian acestory. My best friend also suggested I try to remove all the wheat and wheat gluten from her diet. I have not tried this. I will. The insurance just approved her visit to the Cleveland Clinic in May. I took her off all medication except her asthma inhaler and her Zofran PRN. Also, the computer is broken so she can't get online to IM and her vomiting has decreased, but not the nausea or pain.
    I'll keep her progress posted.
    Travelin04

Old 03-12-2005, 07:53 AM   #8
    thomas3000
    Inactive
    (male)

thomas3000 HB User
    Talking Re: 14 and constant occular H/A with Dizziness

Ok, this makes sense now... Since docs can't give you a firm diagnosis, she may very well be gluten intolerant as well as sensitive to additives in food...I would definitely at least try this....Our bodies were not designed to eat junk food and she may be very well sensitive to gliadin, which is a molecule in gluten..i would try to make her diet as wholesome as possible...Eat everything organic and the meats should contain no antiobiotics...Everyone with irish descent, has gluten intolerance to a certain degree...Try that for a while and there might also be an infection somewhere...But try this first...Asthma is another sign she might be gluten intolerant..

Closed Thread