It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Heartburn from too many pain relievers?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2005, 09:14 AM   #1
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
    Heartburn from too many pain relievers?

I am a little worried that I might have an ulcer...I suffer from bad anxiety so i take medicine for that. I also get frequent headaches and migraines once in a while, althought not as bad since I have been taking some good vitmains. Anyway, I had a terrible migraine on Satruday night, the worst one I have had since I can remember. I took probably 9 Excedrin Migraine tablets over the course of 12 hours (I have a very high tolerance to meds so usually have to take larger doses than most). That didn;t help so I started taking Ibuprofen. I took 2 or 3 high doses of that. By 4 a.m. you are pretty much desperate to get rid of the pain, plus I was extremely nauseous. FINALLY my headache went away late Sunday morning, but ever since I have had bad heartburn kind of on and off. I have gone through 3 rolls of Tums and got some mylanta cause it helps me more.

I'm thinking the heartburn/stomachache is probably because I took so many pain relievers over the last 24 hours, but I am kind of scared I might have an ulcer due to my anxiety. Does anyone else get heartburn/stomachache for a day or more after taking pain relievers?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2005, 08:32 PM   #2
    Mz Migraine
    Inactive
    (female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User
    Re: Heartburn from too many pain relievers?

Read the side effects on the bottles and/or the paperwork that came with the meds you are taking.
    Is heartburn or stomach ache one of them?

Usually you only get an upset stomach and/or feel nauseated when you take over the recommended amount of asprins especially Excedrins, not a stomach ache.

Also, ulcers do not happen overnight. Have you thrown up any blood?

If you are concerned, suggest you see your doctor ASAP.

Strongly suggest that you cutdown and/or discontinue the Excedrins. They are the leading causes of REBOUND HEADACHES because Excedrins contain caffine.
    Use Aleve instead. Aleve is caffine free.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:51 AM   #3
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
    Re: Heartburn from too many pain relievers?

Thanks for responding. I didn't throw up, and I usually only get heartburn around my period if at all (with migraines). I definitely took more than the recommended dosage of excedrin. I didn't know it was a cause of rebound headaches, but it makes sense that the caffeine is a bad thing...sometimes I feel nauseous because of the Excedrin, so it would probably be in my best interest to stop taking it.

Closed Thread