It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• 12 week headache still no relief..HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #1
    Kparki1198
    (female)

Kparki1198 HB User
    Question 12 week headache still no relief..HELP!

I am new hear and have been suffering from a heachache for 12 weeks as I read your postings I see that many of you might be feeling the some of the same things that I have been going through these last 12 weeks. I have provided some History of what I have gone through so far these past weeks and would love to hear any other advice that any of you have that can help my self or others to overcome headaches. I want to be myself again. I don't want a headache or to be sick anymore.

History:
    April
    * I woke up with a throbbing headache in the back of the head and the base of the skull. that would not go away buy mid afternoon I was throwing up and sick to my stomach. pain never went away only got worse, the pain was behind my eyes. I could not move head or body, saw black spots in left eye. smells were very pronounced and made me sick.

May
    * I went to the hopital because I could not move and my Family was very concernd becasue the pain was still in the back of the head at the base of the head 10 out of 10 on pain scale. They gave me a CT scan that said everything looked normal so in stead they gave me some heavy narcatic drugs to help with the pain. I was able to sit up and felt better. But when the meds were gone I was back in pain again but this time I woke up with my left eye blurred and grey spots in my eye I had numbness in my left arm and fingers. So I went back into the doctor and he sent me to a nerologist. I have been through CT scan which was normal so they sent me for a MRI this was done and was Normal to so he sent me to a Nero-opthomologist that showed that my optic nerve is swollan on both sides so he wanted to have a Lumbar Puncture to get my spinal fluid tested it came back normal to but they did remove fluid to hopfully help with pressure. After the spinal tap the Throbbing headaches were gone and But I still have the blured vision and black spots in the left eye.

June
    *I continue to be sensitive to light, loud sounds still have the headache some days are worse then others. I have gone through all tests and the Doctors still do not know why I still have headaches. I am on 100mg of Topamax each day, Doctors are saying it is just a migrane. This is great news that it is not anything serious but now I am dealing with a headache that has lasted 12 weeks has anyone else been able to recover from a headache that has lasted this long. And if so what have you done and what did you do.

Sorry this was so long any help would be great.
    Thanks
    Kari

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
    Mz Migraine
    Inactive
    (female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User
    Re: 12 week headache still no relief..HELP!

Ask your Neurologist if he/she can increase your Topamax dosage.
    You may need to be on a higher dosage *daily*.

Topamax is suppose to lessen the *frequency* of migraines. In some cases it goes away.
    In 12 weeks, you should have seen some type of relief.

Also, you should be taking some other type of migraine medication when you get a migraine attack (as needed basis). Ask your Neurlogist about the following medications:

Imitrex
    Zomig
    Firocet

Over the counter: Vit B2 100mg - Take 400mgs daily.

Keep a headache calender to monitor your migraines. Take calender with you on your next dr visit. You may be eating something that is triggering your migraines.
    Do a web search using Google to find out about food triggers. Print out the list.
    Your Neurologist may have a headache pamplet which list food triggers.
    Sometimes weather is a migraine trigger.

Another migraine trigger is stooping & bending. If you do the house cleaning, have someone do it, get help and/or stop doing it.

Stay out of the sun. If you do go out in the sunlight, wear a hat & sunglasses (the darker the better). And NEVER NEVER LEAVE THE HOUSE W/O YOUR MEDS!!!!! (Ask your dr about Zomig Nasil Spray & Zomig Oral Tabs which you can take w/o water.)

Good luck

Old 06-28-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
    Kparki1198
    (female)

Kparki1198 HB User

MZ Thank you.. I have a follow up appt July 8 with my Nero and I will ask him about increasing the Topamax and the other meds to. Thank you so much for the feedback I will search the food triggers and see what I can find.

Thanks again.
    Kari

Old 09-20-2005, 05:12 PM   #4
    Kparki1198
    (female)

Kparki1198 HB User

MZ,

I just had to tell you what happened with My Nero..He told me that it was all in my head and that I am just depressed. Needless to say I have not gone back. I have been feeling so awfull that I went back to my GP and he tested me for Lupus the ANA test came back positive so I have to now go to a Reumie.. I have stoped taking Topamax and am now just one antibiotics and waiting to see the Reumie. To get a confirmed DX. The headaches and everything else is still there I have been feeling a bit better since I have been on the antibiotics but still feel like a truck has run me over every morning...LOL.. I just wanted to let you know I am starting to get some answers. I hope you are feeling better...Have a wonderful day..

Karianne

Old 09-23-2005, 07:54 PM   #5
    Mz Migraine
    Inactive
    (female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

Karianne, sorry to hear about your Lupus diagnosis. Hope everything goes well w/you!

Good Luck.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:43 PM   #6
    WhiteLight
    Inactive
    (female)

WhiteLight HB User

I'm sorry about your Lupus diagnosis too. Omg that doctor has a cheek saying that to you. What a awful man. With attitude like that I wonder why he became a doctor if not to help others who are suffering.

I completely understand about the very intense and painful headaches. I've been having them for the last 11 months. Mine can last a few days to a few weeks and I feel at deaths door when I have them. Sometimes I experience a "aura" which lets me know when a headache is coming. When Ihave the aura I usually feel sick or see spots. When this happens I take some pain killers (strong ones) and lie down in a dark room for 2 hours. Afterwards it seems to help but the headache usually comes back. I really hope the Rhemie can give you something for this pain. Take care hun!

Old 10-01-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
    stewartshellc77
    (female)

stewartshellc77 HB User

Ok, I know this sounds weird, but last June this happened to me. You almost wrote my story. I swear. I was actually put into the hospital for 3 straight weeks. It was absolutely terrible. My headaches still come and go, but to break the cycle then, it was the wierdest thing. They gave me an IV w/ Magnesium. It was a last try for the Doc's. They had heard about it from some other docs at UC Hospital in Cincinnati. They said something about it leveling off anything out of wack in your body. The relief was almost immediate! I was in so much pain b/4 the IV that people could barely whisper around me w/ out it causing me to flinch up! The Magnesium has only worked 2 times since then, so I can't guarentee results, but heck, I think it's worth a try! Good luck! I sure hope you get better!

Ok, I posted this and then finished reading the rest of your postings. I was like this in school too... never read the directions first either... LOL....
    Anyway, sorry about your diagnosis with Lupus. I know that it's tough and hard to fight. My mom was dianosed with it when I was 9 so it was 19 years ago. I will pray for you.

Last edited by stewartshellc77; 10-01-2005 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Didn't read all posts

Old 10-26-2005, 06:26 PM   #8
    Kparki1198
    (female)

Kparki1198 HB User

Thank you so much for your words, and information.. I have been able to get my headaches to a point were I just deal with them. I have only had 2 back of scull headaches since September so that is good.. but deal with continuous headaches every day... Went to the Reumie and he doesnt feel that I have Lupus but is doing further testing and re-doing some tests again.
    He seams to think I have Roseaca and Pseudotumor Cerebri But has not ruled out Lupus. So I feel like I am back at the drawing table. But I am just trying to keep a possitive look on things..

I went to a new Nero Opthomologist my OpticNerve is still swollen and I have lost more sight. I went to get an optic nerve ultrasound and am waiting to see I have papillaedema or not..Joy!

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement it really makesmy days I have not had to many of those the last 7 months. Thank you again..

I wish you both the best in health and love.
    Karianne

Closed Thread