It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• fioricet users..any out there??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-20-2005, 06:30 AM   #1
    chrisbuff
    (female)

chrisbuff HB User
    Unhappy fioricet users..any out there??

i have been prescribed this med. for my headaches while pregnant and it is miserable. all i can say is that it seems to ENDUCE my headaches more than anything else. then on top of that, the different things i have read online about it being addictive makes me wonder if it's even good for my baby. i am in need of something because i am truely suffering w/ these stupid migraines and i dont know what to do. has anybody else had the same problems w/ this medication or similiar medication??
    CHRISTIE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 08:27 AM   #2
    NathanF41
    Inactive
    (male)

NathanF41 HB User
    Re: fioricet users..any out there??

I don't use it, but I was interested to look into it. Then somebody just informed me that the third component that is nicely and subtely referred to as a "sedative" is actually a barbituate. That could be the misery. I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. How many times have you taken it? I would recommend if you're not addicted, and if you haven't taken it enough to have any sort of chemical dependency on it, to stop taking it immediately. Maybe speak to your doctor first if you're concerned.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
    Mz Migraine
    Inactive
    (female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

Quote:
    makes me wonder if it's even good for my baby.
    Didn't you inform your doctor that you were pregnant?

Any concerns you have about your meds, you must discuss with your doctor first! Then if you want, since you have access to a computer you can do your own research on Fioricet by using Google.

I use to take Fioricet but when I switched Neurologist she took me off because it had caffine in it & also, I was complaining it took too long for it to take effect-30 minutes.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
    Chaswick
    Inactive
    (male)

Chaswick HB User

Hi Chris,

I think that one of the best things about the internet is the information that you can get. Another is that you can ask others for their opinions, which I think is the reason that these boards are here. Don't be afraid to ask more questions.

Of course, before changing anything you need to consult your Dr., especially if you are pregnant.

The information that I have is that you should NOT be taking Fiorinal when you are pregnant.

The butalbital in it is the biggest reason, however aspririn (particularly in the last 3months) and caffeine, can also be on the list of what not to take.

Personally, I always want to err on the side of caution.

Besides the problems taking it when you are pregnant, it is a medication that many, including the college of phy. and surgeons in Canada, don't think should be prescribed to ANYONE. There are so many problems that can develop because of this medication. I amazed that a Dr. would start Rx'ing it to someone as a first choice med., especially someone who is pregnant. I'd really question that one.

Good luck.

Chaz

Old 07-22-2005, 04:33 PM   #5
    Kate87
    (female)

Kate87 HB User

In my own experience, Fioricet was the only medication that would touch my migraines - even narcotics like Percocet did nothing!!! Fioricet truly changed my life a few years ago when I was taking it about three times a day. Now, I only need to take one every few weeks, at the most - I never felt that I had any kind of dependency on it... Truly, it usually takes most, if not all, of the pain out of my headaches within half an hour. Of course, medication is different in every person's body - PARTICULARLY if you're pregnant - but Fioricet worked miracles for me.

Also, I don't know how long you've taken it, but I had to take it for awhile before I noticed any difference...

Best of luck!

Old 07-24-2005, 10:24 PM   #6
    hannasnana
    Veteran
    (female)

hannasnana HB User

Hi Chris, My daughter was prescribed Fioricet for her migraines when she first started getting them. They only made her feel awful. I"M REALLY surprised that your Dr. prescribed them for you while pregnant! I know how awful migraines are, but have you tried any natural methods to get rid of them because of your pregnancy?

Old 07-25-2005, 01:02 PM   #7
    Chaswick
    Inactive
    (male)

Chaswick HB User

Hi Kate,

There is no question that I think barbituates are a very bad choice when it comes to headache medication. I've read story after story from people who have had this medication change their lives, unfortunately, for almost all of them, it changed it for the worst and almost ruined it..

But I've said many times that if someone has taken it for a long time and has not had any problems controlling her use, there is no reason to not allow them to have it if it has been a lifesaver for their headaches.

I'll never believe it is something that should be Rx's to new patients, particularly, as you also say, someone who is pregnant!!

Cheers//Chaz

Old 07-27-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
    Sowul
    (female)

Sowul HB User

All this information about fioricet and topomax has really mad me nervous.
    I just got home from my neurologist (first time seeing him, second neuro that I've seen in a month) and he gave me RX for both fioricet / prednizone/ topomax and told me to take all three. They are being used to treat new daily persistent HA rather than migraines (which i don't have more than 2-3 times a year) I've never taken any medication for headaches before and reading what you guys have to say about the fioricet is making me second guess my dr. I'm a 22 year old college student who needs to function fully at both school and my full time job. I'd almost rather deal with my 24 hour a dya headache than the side effects it seems.
    Anyone have any success on these drugs?????

-casey

Old 07-27-2005, 01:27 PM   #9
    Chaswick
    Inactive
    (male)

Chaswick HB User

IMO, I wouldn't even fill the Fioricet. There are people that have taken this medication a couple times a month for years and not run into any problems. But if you do the search you will see that there are a whole lot that have had major problems

Prednisone is a steroid. I've never heard of it being Rx for headaches except when it is prescribed very short term and it is only to break a bad headache.

Topomax is a fairly common preventative medication used for preventing headaches from coming. Many report feeling 'out of it' not high or anything like that, just spacey. But some do get great results from it.

Have you been fighting this headache for weeks at a time? How bad on a scale of 1 - 10 is it?

Chaz

Old 07-27-2005, 06:44 PM   #10
    Mz Migraine
    Inactive
    (female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

Quote:
    I'm a 22 year old college student who needs to function fully at both school and my full time job.
    Depending on your dosage, you won't be if you are taking Topamax.
    If your doctor did not explain the side effects of Topamax (which he/she should have), & since you have access to a computer, I STRONGLY URGE YOU to use Google & do your own research on Topamax.

I say do your own research because Topamax does not affect everyone the same & you will hear a lot of different stories here on this message board. But, you do need to know the side effects which do effect 99.9% of the people who take it.

Old 07-27-2005, 06:53 PM   #11
    NathanF41
    Inactive
    (male)

NathanF41 HB User

No one ever told me I wouldn't be able to function fully. I just knew there were some annoying side effects. While they're annoying, I wouldn't say I can't function fully so far. But if the dry eyes persists I may have to go back to 50mg.

Closed Thread