It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Trader Joes high potency b-vitamins

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2005, 10:10 AM   #1
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
    Trader Joes high potency b-vitamins

Hi everyone -

I just wanted to write and recommend this vitamin for headache sufferers. I have always taken a b-complex vitamin but I recently got some high potency b-complex Trader Joes brand and for the first time in my life I have noticed a difference. In two months I have only had one headache and it was mild enough that I could go to work and continue my activites (I am usually bed-bound with my headaches). I also have increased energy and less anxiety, however I believe this is also due to the fact that I have started exercising regularly and eating better. Whenever I falter on one of the three I notice I start feeling crappy. But it definitely helps the headaches!!

I believe it is because it is a VERY high potency - like 5000% or so of each b-vitamin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 11:01 AM   #2
    NathanF41
    Inactive
    (male)

NathanF41 HB User
    Re: Trader Joes high potency b-vitamins

Not to rain on any parades, but I don't think it's good for you to take vitamins that are incredibly overpotent like that. Is there anyone willing to do some research on this topic? I believe they're made for people with major deficiencies, imbalances, dietary restrictions, vegans, etc. But surplussing your body with B-vitamin I think creates an imbalance in the opposite direction. I would consult a nutritionist on this topic. But if somebody would do research on this that would be appreciated.

Last edited by NathanF41; 08-08-2005 at 11:04 AM.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:47 AM   #3
    Mz Migraine
    Inactive
    (female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

I take 100mg daily of Vit B2 as part of my Migraine Management Programe.

I have the yellowest urine on the east coast. Maybe in the USofA & possibly the world and/or the universe!

Old 08-08-2005, 12:15 PM   #4
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

As far as I have researched, there isn't much risk of toxic amounts of b-vitamins if you are taking a complex...the complex vitmains balance each different b-vitaimn out automatically so you don't have to worry about doing it yourself. They have the correct dosages of each one to offset any negative effects of others. For example, high amounts of B6 could potentialy have side effects, so they lower the dosage of that and increase another so they balance each other out, if that makes sense. I also usually take a month or two break between bottles and just take a regular multi-vitamin just to be safe.

My mother has taken this blend for years and years and she never gets sick, never has migraines and doesn't even know the meaning of anxiety.

All i can tell you is it sure as heck is working for me. If we worry and research and surf the net excessively into every little tiny thing we will spend our lives worrying about taking something that will make us feel better. Get off the computer and enjoy life!! ( I should talk

Old 08-08-2005, 12:48 PM   #5
    Chaswick
    Inactive
    (male)

Chaswick HB User

HI all,

In the last couple of years I know of a few people that have had really good results taking large amounts of B12 and have not had any problems.

Having said that, I agree with Nathan that anything we are putting in our bodies, we each need to be sure of what to expect and what the downside is. I don't bother myself too much reading reports about TV's before I buy one, but I sure do when it comes to medication or supplements.

Vitamin B IS water soluable and is not stored in the liver or in fatty tissues like Vit. A and D (taking high amounts of these two vitamins IS DEF. not a good idea) which means that they don't stay with us and need to be replenished. It's always best to do it naturally - IMO - but to get to super high amounts you need help.

One CAN run into problems taking huge amounts of Vit. B, but I don't believe the risk is that high - but - I would still run it by my Dr. before I jumped into mega-doses.

I'm glad that you are getting such good results MJEWEL and may give it a go myself!!

Cheeers//Chaz

Old 08-08-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
    NathanF41
    Inactive
    (male)

NathanF41 HB User

How do you account for the extra B's that come in foods, multivitamins, or migrelief? If it indeed isn't a problem to take this high potency B-complex, I myself wouldn't mind trying it, however I already take a multivitamin and migrelief...these contain certain levels of B's already that would surely make the high potency B's even higher in the end. What can be done for this as the other components of the other vitamins are necessary?

Old 08-08-2005, 03:58 PM   #7
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

THAT is probably a good question for the doc. I definitely stop taking the multivitamins while taking the B complex. The B-complex does have a few other things in it like vit c, but a cal mag supplement would probably also be good. I'm not sure how much B vitamins I get from food, but I'm sure it isn't nearly enough since I rarely eat the recommended daily servings of whle grains fruits and veggies (but I sure do try!!).

Old 08-08-2005, 03:58 PM   #8
    Chaswick
    Inactive
    (male)

Chaswick HB User

Thats why I'd run anything like that by my Dr., or maybe even better by a dietician, although he/she may not recc. anything higher than the recc. daily dose.

I think that the doses being talked about here are mega mega doses and the extra you would get from even an ordinary multi-vitamin would be neg.

I don't know enough about it to even give you a half-a---d guess. I'm sure that you would need to balance it as best you could, but on a personal level, I wouldn't try it until I spoke with someone who knows alot more than me!!

Cheers//chaz

Closed Thread