It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Heal Your Headache

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2005, 10:13 AM   #1
    korpacz1
    (female)

korpacz1 HB User
    Heal Your Headache

I have posted here before and I just wanted people to know that I have read this book twice and haven't had a pain pill since 8/22/05. For a year I was having these awful awful headaches. I saw five different doctors. No help. Was on Fioricet, Amerge, Axert, Topomax. I was living a nightmare. Saw this book on one of the support sites and got it from the library (no $$).

When I started reading it, it was like a revelation. This is me. I was shocked. So the next day I gave up all my pills. It was pure torture for 12 days. The head was pounding and pounding, all day long and night and it was worse than ever before, which gave me a signal that I was rebounding. I felt like absolute crap. Because even the drugs I was taking, didn't work anymore. I guess the next thing was narcotics.

Caffeine was hard. I cut down to maybe 1/2 cup a day, but now I have been caffeine free for fives days. No chocolate is a big downer. So now I am also withdrawing from caffeine. Last Saturday was the first day in over a year that I felt like me. Sunday I had a little headache and Monday was great. Tuesday and Wednesday, a mild headache but today great. And when I had the headache I took some Advil and it went right away.

The headaches don't just disappear, they wane. He says no more than 2-3 triptans per month. My doctor said no more than two a week. And as for Fioricet, it is known as one of the biggest rebounding medicines there are. Maybe because it is so cheap.

When I started this I was taking tylenol, then advil, then Excedrin (big rebounding medication), Sudafed. GP told me it was allergies and put me on zyrtec and nasonex, and gave me Fioricet for pain. I was trying not to use things more than twice a week, but as you know, when the pain comes, you use it.

I don't know what started my headaches. All I know is that all the doctors just kept giving me the drugs to keep it away and it was not working. Angry about all my time and money spent when all I had to do was go to the library. I am going day by day. It is not a miracle yet. But these six days have been the best in a year.

I hope this helps someone. It is terrible to suffer. His book is on ****** and you can read the reviews -- there are 112 of them. I read them all.

I am a 46 year old working mother of two, secretary in upstate New York. I just would not give up. My husband even said "well you will have to live with these the rest of your life." I would not accept that. It wasn't normal.

I wish you all well and if just one of you can get help like I did, then I am truly happy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #2
    gingerweezie
    (female)

gingerweezie HB User
    Re: Heal Your Headache

I first found out about this book on this site about 6 months ago. The author is David Buchholz, M.D. The changes didn't totally make my migraines go away BUT they helped 150 percent. I became so much more aware of what triggered my headaches so I could avoid those things, and avoid the headache. Just not getting the rebound headaches alone makes an amazing difference. I was popping (over the counter) pills like candy! Excederine, Tylenol, Advil ... It was CRAZY! You'd really be shocked at the things that go on inside of our heads and how they work. This is an EXCELLENT book. I paid $13.95 for my paperback copy at the local bookstore. I recommend it for everyone. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
    cden4
    (male)

cden4 HB User

I suffer from a constant dull headache that never goes away and just read this book as suggested by someone on this forum. I have stopped taking all pain meds and am following the diet very strictly.

How long did it take you to notice a difference in your headaches? I'm about one week in at this point.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:29 AM   #4
    gingerweezie
    (female)

gingerweezie HB User

Like the author tells you as well as the person who started this thread, it might get worse before it get's better BUT getting off of the over-the-counter pills and getting rid of the rebound headaches is more than half of the battle. DON'T GIVE UP!! You will be AMAZED at the difference!! Keep reading and stick with it!! Maybe after another week you'll really feel the difference. Good luck!

Closed Thread