It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Topamax, wk 1, at what miligram did the weight loss start?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
    wiski
    (female)

wiski HB User
    Topamax, wk 1, at what miligram did the weight loss start?

Hello everyone,

For anyone that has lost weight on this, at what mg did that start? I didn't eat much the first couple days, but that certainly went away.
    I started Topamax last week for migraines. I am still on 25 mgs once a day and I am taking that at bedtime. The first few times I took it I was very tired the next day. That lasted about 3 days. That has since passed. I was also not very hungry, that has since passed as well. No tingling, numbness, or dizzyness. Soda tastes a tiny bit funny, but I'm wondering if that's only because I read about that side effect on here and expected it to happen so I think it does??! I go to 25 mg twice a day tomorrow, the increase accordingly. I'll be interested in seeing if the side effects start in then.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2005, 12:01 PM   #2
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
    Re: Topamax, wk 1, at what miligram did the weight loss start?

I've been on it for two weeks, one week on 25, one week on 50. I've actually had one killer migraine since starting it, which was no good. The doctor prescribed it more for sleep problems and weight loss than migraines, but I also have migraines, so that too. So far I've gained weight. So much for that! (No resolution of the sleep issues, either...) I've definitely been having some nerve issues. My feet fall asleep faster (or with less provocation) than normal. Like resting them against the foot of the couch will cause the bottoms of my feet to tingle. And I've been getting some tingling in the side of my left hand after I shower (strange, huh?).

So when I see the doc, I'm either going to ask her to up the dosage to see if I see some of the results that I'm looking for, or get off of it because of the nerve side effects. I guess it depends on what she has to say about the benefits and risks of upping the dose. We'll see.

Old 11-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #3
    Mz Migraine
    Inactive
    (female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User
    Re: Topamax, wk 1, at what miligram did the weight loss start?

Quote:
    For anyone that has lost weight on this, at what mg did that start?
    With me the weight loss started at 50mgs.
    I have lost a total of 35lbs after being on Topamax for 2 1/2 years @ 100mgs.
    I drink milk shakes, eat junk food, & lift weights to stay toned to keep my weight stablized.
    Thanks to Topamax I am now a 55 year old sexy looking grandmother.

Wiski, you need to have a very frank discussion w/your doctor about the side effects of Topamax and you need to do your own research as well.

Not everyone suffers from the side effects, not everyone suffers from them the same way & not everyone loses weight as kehorner already stated.
    Only 10% of the patients taking Topamax loses weight. The rest gain.

Closed Thread