It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• 12 Year old Constant Headache and Fainting

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-14-2005, 09:44 AM   #1
    gina1149
    (female)

gina1149 HB User
    Question 12 Year old Constant Headache and Fainting

My Niece Lauren is 12 Years, this past Tuesday November 1st. She began having episodes where she loses consciousness. First she feels dizzy and shaky and then she just passes out. She had a non-stop headache for 6 days during these episodes. She was in a Childrenís hospital for 7 days with no physical Diagnosis, they decided that is was panic attacks and suggested drug therapy of Zoloft and Adivan which is ridiculous, she is a happy healthy normal 12 year old... She then went almost 48 hours without a headache or loosing consciousness and then had it come back again all of a sudden. She is now in NYU Medical Center where they also cannot find any physical reason for this. She is getting worse, the headaches are getting worse, itís gotten to the point where she does not just loose consciousness, but she also has periods of Zoning out where she cannot speak or move. The doctors at the hospital have no idea what is causing this. Her blood work is normal, her CAT scan and MRI is normal, they have ruled out epilepsy, seizures of any sort, enema, and diabetes. She has asthma and they are saying that it is not related. We noticed that her oxygen levels on the monitor drop and then go back up prior to loosing consciousness; she is still having these episodes. At this point it looks like the hospital staff has given up trying to Diagnose her, and she is still going through this. Any suggestions on what this could be. Her blood pressure and vitals are fine, the Cardiologists did notice a slight leak in her heart valve but said that is common and should not be causing her to pass out. Does this sound familar to anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
    calgarygirl
    (female)

calgarygirl HB User
    Re: 12 Year old Constant Headache and Fainting

Wow I'm sorry your niece has to go through all this especially since she is so young. I'm not a Dr but the only 2 things I could think of that can mimic these symptoms are migraines and anxiety attacks. Have they ruled out migraines? I hope they can find a diagnosis. Let us know how she's doing. I suffer from migraines with and without headaches and get some really strange symptoms myself and have met others that have had some of the same symptoms as your niece and been diagnosed as migraine.
    Good luck to your niece and I hope she feels better soon.

Closed Thread