It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Anyone experience menstral headaches?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-24-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
    scf71
    (female)

scf71 HB User
    Anyone experience menstral headaches?

I'm relatively new to migraines and pray I can nip this in the bud!! I'm trying to figure out my triggers and the only thing I come up with so far is hormonal. I've been off and on birth control because I am horrible at remembering to take it/use it.

I was prescribed Imitrex in January and although it works, my insurance doesn't cover as much as I need. I've been tracking my HAs since then and seem to have most when I'm either ovulating or on my period.

I'm going to get back on birth control this weekend and hope it helps. Has anyone else found that their cycle/horomones triggers their migraines.

I hope this works. I am so tired of feeling crappy and sorry for my family for having to deal with me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
    Mz Migraine
    Inactive
    (female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User
    Re: Anyone experience menstral headaches?

Yes, your cycle & horomones are migraine triggers.

Ask your doctor for samples for Imitrex. If he/she has any, they will be more than happy to "hook you up".

The manufactures of Imitrex, GlaxoSmithKline are part of the Patient Assistance Program. You may be entitled to receive Imitrex for *free*. Suggest you go to their website &/or use this site resources to check it out.

Good luck!

Old 02-25-2006, 08:03 PM   #3
    duff19
    (female)

duff19 HB User

Does your doctor give samples? My doctor gives me a few samples of imitrex sometimes. Ask if you can have a few! They should have some. Yes, some peoples migraines go with their cycles its very very common. It could very likely be the problem. It hasnt been the problem for me but all heads are different. Try writing down the cycle of your period and also write down when you get the headaches. See maybe if they go together in anyway.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:51 PM   #4
    Spin8_01
    (female)

Spin8_01 HB User

Yes, I get them every month on day two of period. I use imitrex and it works for me. I was told that they are caused by a sudden drop in estrogen which causes a temporary imbalance of hormones. Mine started about age 30 after birth of second child. This was also when I had my tubal so maybee the pill was helping to prevent them before that age.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
    AlabamaWorley
    (female)

AlabamaWorley HB User

My migraines started with puberty, as did those of my mother, my aunt, and my grandmother. I've been reassured they go away with menopause... something to look forward to, I guess. But yes, I get at least one every month during my period.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

I have had menstrual migraines since I was 14. I am now 27. I switched birth control about 3 months ago and for the first time in 13 years I do not have migraines anymore, but now I've gained 15 pounds

If it's not one thing its the other.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
    scf71
    (female)

scf71 HB User
    Mjewell...

Do you mind me asking what form of bc you switched to? Weight gain is a concern of mine now since I recently was dx with hypothyroid.

I get migraines during ovulation and for 3-4 days around my period. Maybe now that i'm back on bc, the ovulation ones will cease. Oh do I pray! I wonder about those around my period though. My fingers are continually crossed!

Old 03-01-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
    kandekane8
    (female)

kandekane8 HB User

Hi,

I have been fighting with menstrual migraines for about 10 years. About 6 months ago I started taking a magnesium supplement daily and it has almost totally taken away my migraines. If I do get one at all, its only about a quarter of the intensity it used to be. Hope this helps!

Old 03-01-2006, 03:45 PM   #9
    LenaM
    (female)

LenaM HB User

I have migraines over two years every first day of period.
    I was happy to see many solutions about how to fight migraine, because every time I tell my doctor that HAs do not stop bothering me, Excedrin Migraine is the only treatment. But I canít take Excedrin because I have gastritis. What is the Magnesium Supplement? Can I buy it over the counter? I would like to try. Thank you.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #10
    young momma
    Veteran
    (female)

young momma HB User

I also have menstrual migraines. I have been taking neurontin since December. It has seemed to help some. I have not been to the er for over 2 months now!! Yay!! The month of December was really really bad though. I had a headache migraine every day that month. I was told from my neurologist that it was from the neurontin and it could take 3 months or so to start working. I also am taking vistiral. I take vicodin every now and then to help keep the pain to where I can handle it. Otherwise, I pretty much just stay in bed and suffer. Mine last for about 10 days. It sucks but it is getting a little better.

Old 03-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
    scf71
    (female)

scf71 HB User
    Kandekane8!

I'm also interested in hearing more about the magnesium. That's great it is working for you! How did you learn about this? How much do you take a day? Thanks for the info.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:42 AM   #12
    rene24
    (female)

rene24 HB User

Hello all, I, too suffer from headaches. Such as the case as Youngmomma I too have had a headache that lasts 8-10 days at a time. I am 47 years old and I guess I am in the stages of peri-menapause as at this time I still get a monthly period. Last night was a real good one. Came home from work and never left my bed. I seem to get dizzy spells sometimes before a migraine comes on. Does anyone else experience that? Someone mentioned magnesium. Does anyone else get relief from that? My period is due on Sunday and I am thinking maybe the hormones and such do have something to do with the headaches. THanks for listening. Rene24

Old 03-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #13
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
    Re: Mjewell...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scf71
    Do you mind me asking what form of bc you switched to? Weight gain is a concern of mine now since I recently was dx with hypothyroid.

I get migraines during ovulation and for 3-4 days around my period. Maybe now that i'm back on bc, the ovulation ones will cease. Oh do I pray! I wonder about those around my period though. My fingers are continually crossed!
    I switched to Ovcon 35, but I just stopped taking it last wek. I cannot deal with none of my clothes fitting. But, just because I gained weight doesn't mean you would. Lots of people lose weight on it, it;s differnt for every person. I'm kinda nervous to find out if I get my headaches back, but maybe the hormones were causing them in the first place. I am also on Lexapro, an anti-depressant, and that could e hekping my headaches too, so i guess I'll jsut wait and see what happens.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #14
    scf71
    (female)

scf71 HB User
    Mjewell...

I'm also on Lexapro and it's not done a thing for my migraines. Like you said though, everyone is different. Hopefully for you and with you getting off of the pill, it IS what is working for you. Good luck and I'm hope you're able to lose some of the weight you want.

I have 5-10 myself I'd like to dump. I've been on hypothyroid meds for 2 months so hopefully that will help soon. I too cannot stand not having any clothes that fit. Very frustrating!!

Old 03-07-2006, 06:25 AM   #15
    yammom
    (female)

yammom HB User
    Smile Re: Anyone experience menstral headaches?

I've had menstral headaches for about 20 years. You may want to ask your physician for the birth control Yasmin. I found on regular birth control pills the headaches were so severe I couldn't function. Another thing you might want to try is controlling blood sugar during your period. I find if I can stay away from to much chocolate and doughnuts my headaches are much less severe.
    Good luck

Closed Thread