It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• New here, just started Topamax.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
    Gobsmacked
    (female)

Gobsmacked HB User
    New here, just started Topamax.

Hi,
    My dr. started me on topamax for my migraines. I am on the second week and I just started the 50mg dosage, supposed to get up to 100. I currently have my second migraine of the week. Has anyone had success with topamax? I am also taking tons of vitamins to help with the side effects of hair loss and cognitive dulling. I am extremely paranoid about the glaucoma and every little eye problem gets me stressed out! I have no clue what eye pressure feels like, right now they feel strained. I guess I will make an appt. with my eye dr. just to be on the safe side. Just wanted to pop in and say hi and get some ideas on what to expect. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
    Mz Migraine
    Inactive
    (female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User
    Re: New here, just started Topamax.

Quote:
    Has anyone had success with topamax?
    I have. Been on it now for 4 years.
    Quote:
    I am extremely paranoid about the glaucoma and every little eye problem gets me stressed out! I have no clue what eye pressure feels like, right now they feel strained.
    Glaucoma is extremely rare among Topamax users. However, it is good that you are getting your eyes checked. If anything, you *may* experience "Dry Eyes" which is a common side effect among *high dosage* Topamax users.
    If you do get "Dry Eyes" & have good prescription insurance coverage the drug Restasis will clear it right up.
    If you do not have insurance coverage, ask your local pharmisist which over the counter eye drops is the closest thing to Restasis.
    Quote:
    get some ideas on what to expect.
    Not everyone can tolorate the side effects of Topamax.
    Some don't even suffer any side effects.
    Some suffer just a few.

You *may* experience weight loss on a higher dosage.
    You *will* get/appear stupid on the higher dosage. Topamax nicknames are Stupidmax & Dopeamax
    The "tons of vitamins" you're taking is not going to help your cognitive dulling not one bit once you are on the higher dosage! Sorry to bust your bubble.
    You *may* get tingly sensations in certain body parts.
    Sodas will start to taste "funny".
    Certain foods will start to tast "funny".
    You *may* get clumsy. To some appear drunk.
    The clumsyness goes away after awhile.
    You *will* get forgetful on a higher dosage. Strongly suggest that you invest in a case of "Post It" sticky yellow note pads. You will need them.
    As I stated previously, the vitamins ain't gonna work.
    You *may* feel itchy on a higher dosage.

The above is just a "few" of Topamax side effects.

If you have not already done so (seems as if you already did), STRONGLY suggest that you do your own research on the side effects of Topamax & keep in close communication w/your doctor while you are on this drug.

Do a search in this forum on Topamax. There are plenty of use Topamax users here & also a huge Topamax post.

Good Luck

Old 06-17-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
    Gobsmacked
    (female)

Gobsmacked HB User

At least I have someone who's stuck it out to bounce things off of! A lot of people seem to quit and I'm so desperate for it to work. I actually got in at the eye dr. today and everything checked out ok except for extreme dry eyes He has no idea why I'm feeling whatever it is that feels like eyestrain. I already have the tinglys in my feet and fingers. Not sure I can handle hair loss even though I have thick hair. Hopefully that's a side effect that will skip me or i won't notice I am going to try to just not think about this so much and take one day at a time I tend to worry a little too much for my own good! I will buy lots of post its, thanks for the suggestion!
    Thanks for the info and support!

Old 06-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
    Mz Migraine
    Inactive
    (female)

Quote:
    I tend to worry a little too much for my own good!
    Anxiety is another known side effect. So if you are a "worry wart", it will only get worse.
    If there are other members in your household, strongly suggest that also you "warn" them of these side effect so that they will not be alarmed & possible calm you down in the process.

If Topamax works for you hopefully, you will be able to hang in there.
    I forgot to mention that w/some folks all of the side effects wear off except for the funny tasting soda. You just may be one of the lucky ones.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #5
    BlueSteam
    Veteran
    (female)

BlueSteam HB User

Hi there!! I've been on the topa just a little over two months now for a neck injury that was causing my headaches. It took care of them for me. My side effects are getting better as time goes on. I had a hard time typing for a while. I even lost my truck keys for a month!! Please be sure to drink a lot of water!!! You need to drink a 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight is my understanding. The more you drink, the better off you are with your side effects. Let us know how you are doing!

Old 06-19-2006, 10:58 PM   #6
    Gobsmacked
    (female)

Gobsmacked HB User

i thought i was doing ok until now. i just realized i can't remember when i started the 50mg. and oops i forgot to put the post it notes on my grocery list so i could write all this stuff down on the post it notes so i wouldn't forget !!! Other than that I'm not doing too bad. I'm on my second day straight with no headache, yeah! Thank goodness I only drink water anyway so that shouldn't be a problem, however finding my water has been I'm the only one in the house who ever knows where anything is so the kids are getting a big kick out of this, they just better hope it wears off before school starts! The anxiety thing is not good, i have always had a major problem with anxiety. In fact the internet is my bestest friend I'll definitely have to watch for that side effect although i'm not sure how it could get worse. You guys have been so great! The only way to get through all this mess is to laugh about it! I'll keep you posted, I think I go up again on Thursday.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
    Mz Migraine
    Inactive
    (female)

Quote:
    The only way to get through all this mess is to laugh about it!
    I've been LMAOOOOOOOOO now for 4 years!!!!

When my Topamax "forgetfullness" kicked in, I was on my way home from the doctor's office. Guess what? I got lost. I forgot where I lived.
    I pulled over to the side of the road to "gather my thoughts" when I realized I was right down the street from my house! I DIDN'T EVEN RECOGONIZE MY OWN STREET MUCH LESS MY NEIGHBORHOOD!
    Now I keep "Post It" notes on my dashboard giving me directions from the drs office, supermarket & malls to my house.
    Otherwise, I walk and/or take public transportation or have my significant other drive me where I want to go.
    Funny thing.......I never get "lost or disoriented" when I walk.
    One time I took the train from one station to the end of the line & back where I started because I FORGOT WHERE I WAS GOING! I forgot my Post It note which I left in the car.

I have Post It notes stuck all over my house. I'm seriously thinking about investing in some stock w/that company.

As for the lost keys fiasco: I went to a master key locksmith & had them make 5 extra sets of my car & house keys. Funny, I haven't lost my car or house keys since I had this done.

I put a nail on the inside of my front door. I keep a set hanging on the front door, set on my night stand in my bedroom, set hanging on my kitchen wall, set inside my purse & a set hidden outside.

If I drink any more water, I'm gonna invent a toilet to strap between my legs to go everywhere I go because I'm getting pretty [email protected] tired of urinating every 2 seconds.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:40 AM   #8
    Worried1977
    Inactive
    (female)

Worried1977 HB User

LOL mz migraine

i was only on topamax for about 3 weeks and had to stop it. i was only on 25mg. The anxiety got bad and i never had trouble with anxiety before. i thought i was dying. and i also thought i had every disease under the sun. In the past 2 months after taking topamax ive been in the ER 3 times. 2 blood works have done. a whole heart panel was done, a cat scan 2 chest xrays and 2 ekgs. and i have NEVER been one to go to the dr except for having babies. the first time i was on it i was totally fine until the 3rd week. i normally get headaches everyday to every other day and on that med i only had 2 in the 3 weeks. but my dr took me off it. i ended up trying it again i only took it for 3 days and i had a resting pulse of 112 for a couple days so the dr didnt know if it was the topamax causing it or my "anxiousness" i sure wish i could try it again with no problems but now i just suffer through the headaches. Good luck to everyone on it

Old 06-22-2006, 05:19 AM   #9
    italianfire
    (female)

italianfire HB User
    Talking Re: New here, just started Topamax.

Wow!! Topamax makes you have anxiety.I am the anxiety queen.I am on ssi for it (anxiety and panic attacks) and I don't think it has cause that for me(topamax).I started taking 25 mg of Topamax at night for ( I forgot.LOL) BUT I ALWAYS FORGET.ANXIETY MEDS..hummm Ok I counted the pills I took 9 pills.but l just lost the lid. I Think that is getting worse (forgetful) but i Just try to go slow and think. So its in my system.(thats what i was trying to see if i took enough pills yet to get the side affects)Also I haven't noticed any hair lose.I was on a blood thinner and believe me I would lose a handful of hair so I haven't noticed that yet.( and if i do i am off topamax).
    I tryed Depakote ER but killed my stomach and I tryed the new drug Lyric? but cvs said that hasnt even been studyed for headaches and it made me shaky.
    the Funny thing is I had migrains bad as a kid.I remember no light,sound,and a rag on my forehead praying to go to sleep and then I wouldn't get them for a while.Mom took me to the docters.( I was only 8 or 9 and they tested and said it was coming from stress) (STRESS I WAS A KID).Now after 25 years there are back.BUT not like that.They are all day clustering headaches and I know they are cause by stress cause right when I moved and my relationship started going sour they started and have gotten worse.At first advil did the trick but now i have to be on a med.but i am saying this for others to check your stress level.
    And Oooo I might not get the anxiety part(from Topamax) cause they have me on kalonapin 5mg 2 times a day for the anxiety for now.
    So just in case this dont work what has other taken for prevention??? I dont want to take like zomig and pills for instand to scared of them and i have tryed Depokote and i tryed the lyrcia??
    Before I leave CVS.I know the pharmisist.Said that topamax is a good drug and has low side affects.
    and dry eyes..
    I HAD THEM ALREADY AND HAVE THAT MED..B E G I N S WITH A Rrrr.(forgot)
    bye..

Old 06-24-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
    Gobsmacked
    (female)

Gobsmacked HB User

Wanted to see how you are doing ItalianFire. I'm up to 75mg now and the worse thing still is the tingling in my toes. I had read somewhere that topamax can cause problems for people who don't have problems in their temporal lobes so maybe i do and it's fixing them My anxiety is no worse and in some ways it's better. I have a little shop with my mother that i have not worked in for over a year and i'm actually starting to want to. Of course one of the reasons my dr. wanted me to try the topamax first was because bipolar disorder runs in my family and i haves lots of "symptoms". I got lots of post it notes and they have helped a lot with the forgetfullness.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:01 AM   #11
    BlueSteam
    Veteran
    (female)

BlueSteam HB User

One thing that I did have to do was start keeping a "medication diary" I couldn't remember if or when I took my meds after going on the topa. It has helped me a lot. It's just a tiny little notebook that fits right in my purse. This would also come in handy if something were to ever happen and anybody needed to know what I was taking.

I used to suffer from some really nasty anxiety attacks years ago, thank goodness I haven't had any problems with that!!

Keep us posted!!

Old 07-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #12
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User

Gobsmacked,
    have to ask if in the mix of vitames do you take calcium? There are many many drugs that give warnings on the labes about not taking calcuim at the same time of taking certain meds. ( the calcium seems to block the absorbtion rate of certain meds)
    Also how are the side affects with the Topamax at this time for you? The the side effects of the Topamax just weren't worth it to me. I discovered low dose of inderal and imetrex works fine for the really bad moments , without the weirdness that topamax did to me.
    Post on how the progression is doing. ALso do you notice weather events such as aproaching storms, can throw you for a loop as well? Just wondering

Old 07-02-2006, 07:20 PM   #13
    Gobsmacked
    (female)

Gobsmacked HB User

I take a multi-vitamin that of course includes calcium but i do not take an extra calcium. I hadn't noticed if there was an interaction or not. I thought I had read everything carefully but I could have missed something! I have been on 100mg. since Thursday. The most nocticable side effect is still the tingly toes and hands. I notice myself forgetting things but thankfully they are silly little things like what did i go upstairs for. My anxiety has lessoned as have my mood swings. I have not been crying at every little thing like i used to. Oh, and instead of my 5 headache free days a month i've only had 2 mod. migraines at the beginning, 1 lt. one last week and a couple small headaches. If I'm extremely tired my eyes do weird things, hard to explain! I'm glad you found something that works for you!

Old 07-03-2006, 07:30 PM   #14
    italianfire
    (female)

italianfire HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gobsmacked
    Wanted to see how you are doing ItalianFire. I'm up to 75mg now and the worse thing still is the tingling in my toes. I had read somewhere that topamax can cause problems for people who don't have problems in their temporal lobes so maybe i do and it's fixing them My anxiety is no worse and in some ways it's better. I have a little shop with my mother that i have not worked in for over a year and i'm actually starting to want to. Of course one of the reasons my dr. wanted me to try the topamax first was because bipolar disorder runs in my family and i haves lots of "symptoms". I got lots of post it notes and they have helped a lot with the forgetfullness.

Hi.
    Yea I heard they do use Topamax for bipolar to.Funny cause I have been keeping on the same subject for more then 5 minutes.(it use to be 2 minutes) but i am saying I think i am more focused.they think i have bipolar to.I am happy to hear you want to help with your moms little shop i think it would be good for you.If thats what you want to do.
    Good luck
    now were did i put my pen..lol
    I do feel tingleing in my hands but it goes away and i was always forgetful..

Closed Thread