It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• persistent headache for 3 days- help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
    pxd867
    (male)

pxd867 HB User
    persistent headache for 3 days- help

Hi, For the last 3 days I've had a pretty constant tension like headache. It seemed to begin after I had a infection last week, which began on the Monday with sneexing, runny nose and intermittent headache. By last Friday it seemed to have gone, but then at the night. the tension headache began and it hasn't really gone since, although, it is not as intense.

I'm pretty certain it is nothing "malignant", due to its rapid onset. I've not been prone to headaches previously.

From looking on the net, I have read about New Daily Persistent Headache disorder, and am wondering if it could be that, as it is thought 30% of these types of headache begin after a viral infection (possibly due to an autoimmune reaction which triggers inflammation of the nerve vessels) It certainly seems to match, although, as ever with the internet, you can always find similar symptoms..

The only other thing I can think of is that during the week when I had the infection, I took several paracetemol mixed with caffeine drinks (which I have never had before), plus I drank 2 big bottles of Lucozade over 2 days (about 120 mg of caffeine in each), so I am wonderiing, if it may be a caffeine rebound effect? (I don't have much caffeine regularly, so I could be more sensitive than most)

My theory is that for the last few months I've had unrefreshing sleep and occassional fatigue, (possibly stress related chronic fatigue syndrome) which has lead me to believe that the immune system response has been weakened, which could have reactivated the Epstein Barr virus- leading to the viral infection, and causing the immune system to become overactive, leading to persistent headache. (phew) I really hope it not the case

Anyone have any ideas?

Does anyone else here have NDPH? Does it go eventually?

Last edited by pxd867; 09-05-2006 at 01:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
    averimomma
    (female)

averimomma HB User
    Re: persistent headache for 3 days- help

I dont know but in the last year I have been seen by a neuro and been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder due to an incident at work and migranes set in shortly after the incident. I finally had to break down and go to the neuro after the incident. I have been under a lot of stress lately and a short term ( i hope) headache has set in and I have been emotional they just put me on something for depression. Personally caffeine products dont usually effect me except for meds with additional caffeine.

Closed Thread