It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Topamax Side Effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
    R_Ann
    (female)

R_Ann HB User
    Topamax Side Effects

After trying to read all of the posts about Topamax for migraines I am curious - has anyone taken it WITHOUT any of the side effects? (Is there such a person?) *Well, the losing weight one would be ok* It seems like there are alot of "severe" side effects that make one wonder whether it is actually worth it.
    I'm very seriously considering it since I have been having a battle with my drug plan and am only "allowed" 18 Imitrex (100mg pills) for 3 months/refillable after 6 wks and that is not enough. (I already did one appeal in September which didn't fly-can't quite understand their logic on it. Script is for "as needed" and yet they feel they have to limit the dosage-but if I wanted percosett I could take as many of those I want). I try to take them sparingly but the migraines are becoming more frequent-like sometimes 2-3 times a week. I have an appt with the doc tonight so I would like to be as informed as possible.
    Thanks
    RA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
    NJpeg
    (female)

NJpeg HB User
    Re: Topamax Side Effects

There is such a person - me! I started the Topamax about a month ago and have had no side effects - not even the weight loss (even though that would have been good) - maybe a little tiredness - not too bad. I am on the Relpax for the headaches, but with the insurance only allowing 6 a month and since I was going over that each month, that's why the doc put me on the Topamax, so hopefully the headaches will become less frequent.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #3
    pumpkin04
    Inactive
    (female)

pumpkin04 HB User

I've been on tompamax for about 3 weeks and I have very little or no side effects. I took 25 mgs a night for 11 days and now I'm up to 50 mgs a night. I don't really plan on going much higher if at all. I love it. I think the key is to titrate slowly and to drink a lot of water in proportion to your size. (im rather small 5`1 and drink approx. 100 oz. of water a day)

The first week I ws extremely tired, confused, dopey, "high", etc. Then all of a sudden on day I woke up and had all of this energy back and felt like normal. When I titrated up the first day I was a little tired but that went away the next day.

The only side effects that I have now are extreme loss of appetite. I have to remind myself to eat and I am definitely lossing weight which I definitely welcome! LOL When I don't drink water I may feel a my foot fall asleep but once I drink some water that goes away.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
    pumpkin04
    Inactive
    (female)

pumpkin04 HB User

I'm also allowed 9 maxalts a month and with the topamax i think i'll be good.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
    ihaveaheadache
    (female)

ihaveaheadache HB User

NJ Peg - Can you tell me what dosage you take? Also, do you need to have blood work done on Topomax or other kinds of workups to make sure it is not effecting liver enzymes or eyesight or any of those other rare side effects? I am scared to take it but if upping my Propranolol does not help, Topomax will be my next shot.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
    bekah410
    (female)

bekah410 HB User

How long does it take for most side effects to start showing? I started Topamax (25mg on 12/20 and up to 50mg 2 days ago) for bulimia and bipolar. I haven't noticed any side effects...

Old 01-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
    pumpkin04
    Inactive
    (female)

pumpkin04 HB User

With me, the side effects showed up the first day I took it and then went away two weeks later.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:40 AM   #8
    R_Ann
    (female)

R_Ann HB User

Thanks all for the responses. Went to the doc last night (let me tell you a sure way to start a diet-eat dinner before going to a doctor at night and then having to get weighed - YIKES! No more desserts for me!)
    Actually, he had called to have me come in because my perscription plan sent him a letter saying I was getting to much Imitrex/refilled too often. So he did suggest a preventative and going down the list his choice was Topamax. So here it goes. Hope it works. This is the schedule he gave me:
    25mg at night for 7 days
    25mg am & pm for 7 days
    25mg am & 50mg pm for 7 days
    50mg am & 50mg pm hopefully final dosage.
    He also gave me some Relplax freebies until this kicks in.
    He did list all of the side effects just so I would know (I didnt' tell him I did lots of research beforehand) and I am to see him in 2 months for a followup. Apparently he has alot of patients who are quite happy on this so we'll see.
    My one worry is the memory lapse part. My DH is on lots of pain meds for his back and his memory is shot so I can see us walking around in circles in the living room (I know not funny but it's what's in my brain). My son also said his girlfriend's mother was on it and they called it "dopymax". Maybe I'll just be a happy camper and won't care?
    RA
    Now I'll really have to try to drink all of that water you're supposed to drink every day.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:00 AM   #9
    pumpkin04
    Inactive
    (female)

pumpkin04 HB User

just remember to drink a lot of water and try not to worry about the side effects so much. the more you worry, the more side effects you'll create for yourself.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
    ihaveaheadache
    (female)

ihaveaheadache HB User

R-Ann Good luck. Let us know how it goes. I might be next to try it.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:19 AM   #11
    NJpeg
    (female)

NJpeg HB User

I started the free 42 pill trial - starting with 7 days 25 mg then 7 days twice a day 25 mg each, then 7 days 3 pills at night 25 mg each (75 mg) - then I got a prescription filled for 100 mg tabs - I take once a day at night - so far so good. I've had a few headaches so far, but I take a Relpax for that and it helps - I think the Topamax needs a few good months to really get into your system. Don't know about the blood tests - doc didn't say anything about that. Ask you doc about the free trial - its on the Topamax website.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #12
    BookwormQberry
    (female)

BookwormQberry HB User

I've been on Topamax for well over 2.5 years and have been as high as 200mgs a day. I didn't notice any side effects, except appetite loss, until I had been on 100mgs a day (taken in one dose, in the morning) for at least 6 months. Even then the side effects were so minimal I didn't realize they were from the mediction. It was after the 100 a day quit helping and I went to 200mgs a day that I started getting worse and realized it was probably due to the meds. Cut my dosage back down to 100mgs and added Lyrica and the side effects pretty much faded.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #13
    R_Ann
    (female)

R_Ann HB User

Yup-I'm doing the 42 pill trial bottle. Did the 7 days of 25mg at night and this morning was the first of the 25mg am and then 25 mg pm. The only thing I've felt constant is a definate loss of interest in eating my ice cream at night (shucks or hooray depending on which way you look at it. Since I could really use to lose a few it's a big hooray). I really don't want it. Now this morning about 1/2 hour after taking the pill I felt a kind of a 'spacey' feeling for a couple of moments-just felt weird. Nothing I can't handle. So as far as I'm concerned-it's still a go.
    Have had 2 days of migraines coming on and took Relpax both days which "settled" them.
    I'm drinking more water - not the 1 oz per body weigh (I'd float away) but am really trying to keep hydrated.
    RA

Old 01-12-2007, 08:02 AM   #14
    Mz Migraine
    Inactive
    (female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

Topamax affects everyone differently. Not everyone suffers from the side effects the same way or suffers them at all as this thread reflects.

I've been on Dopamax for 4 years now at different mg levels & still suffer from the side effects.

I am currently @ 50mgs which seems perfect for
    *me*. Apparently, the higher the dosage the worse the side effects get.

The only good side effect for *me* was the weight loss. I am now one sexy toned up Nana!

Old 01-15-2007, 05:37 PM   #15
    jule12
    (female)

jule12 HB User

I've taken Topamax for about 5 years, even before it was FDA approved to treat migraines. I'm currently taking 150mg. For a while I was taking only
    100mg, but my body got used to it, and it did not work as well. Yes, I have noticed my memory is not as great as it used to be, and at 150mg, I started to lose some hair, but I don't have as many migraines as I used to. If you suffer from severe migraines, and it is impacting your life, take this medicine. Don't be afraid. You could always taper off. I've gone up in dosage, and had to go down, with no problems. Hope this helps. ***TAKE 500MG OF VITAMIN C A DAY FOR THE TINGLING/SWELLING YOU GET IN YOUR FINGERS AND TOES IT WORKS!!

Closed Thread