It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Midrin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
    willo1980
    Veteran
    (female)

willo1980 HB User
    Midrin

My neuro put me on midrin. I'm also titrating off Topamax and will be starting Pamerol once that clears my system. Last night I felt a migraine working behind my eye, the right side of head felt crushed, so I took two midrin's. Didn't feel too much at first. After a while, to my shock, the pressure I had been feeling in my eye and the pain starting easing up! WOW! My headache was still going to town so when the hour came around I popped another Midrin. That's all I had to take. The numbness that I've had on the right side of my face since a terrible 5 day migraine attack about 10 days ago had begun to ease up! I went to bed because I started getting drowsy and in the middle of the night I got dizzy when I went to the bathroom. But, overall, the s/e's were nothing. I was amazed.

But, this morning, my eye feels like it's going to rip itself from the socket and my face is so numb I could bite my lip and i wouldn't feel it! I don't want to take the midrin again because I can only do the pills twice a week. Neuro said 3 times while I'm going off the Topa, but still I don't wants to over do it.

Is it really possible that I'm really having another migraine? If so, I'm in for it! lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
    aussie_jono
    Inactive
    (male)

aussie_jono HB User
    Re: Midrin

Try taking 2 Advil or 2 Aleave along with your 2 Midrin... they can give it an extra boost, and heklp prevent the migraine recuring

Old 03-13-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
    Dakota_Skye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota_Skye HB User
    Re: Midrin

hi willo,

i just read about midrin (for my own information and curiosity). it says that each pill contains iometheptene mucate USP, 65 mg. (has sympatho-mimetic properties) ; dichioraiphenazone USP, 100 mg. (is a mild sedative); and acetaminophen USP, 325 mg. (tylenol).

the most important chemical in it is the isometheptene mucate, that acts by constricting cranial and cerebral arterioles, thereby reducing whatever had caused the vascular headaches. the mild sedative, reduces a person's emotional reaction to the pain of both vascular and tension headaches (and makes you able to go to sleep, i would guess). and the acetaminophen/tylenol raises the threshold to pain, and it's basically an additional analgesic that has effects against all types of headaches when combined with something.

they also said that transient/passing dizziness and skin rash may appear in hypersensitive patients, but that this can usually be eliminated by reducing the dose.

if i were you, i would not take another midrin as yet. please don't. it seems like a very powerful medication. and you're right. you don't want to overdo it. please call your doctor, and ask him/her what to do, if you can't go there in person. i'd also suggest just trying to put something really tight around your head, like a bandana, but really, really tight, and have someone, your husband, friend, kids, anyone, massage your neck, shoulder and arm muscles for at least 30 minutes. please don't take any more of this medication now.
    speak with the doctor first.
    God bless you, since i have an idea of what you're going through!!
    somedays i'd rather have someone cut my head off than endure these pains!!!

guess i'm too late in posting...didn't realize this was a february post...

Last edited by Dakota_Skye; 03-13-2007 at 11:31 AM.

Closed Thread