It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Achey teeth and migraines = related?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2007, 10:56 PM   #1
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
    Achey teeth and migraines = related?

My upper teeth tend to ache on and off when my headaches flare up. I thought perhaps it was one tooth ailing with a cavity, but then I feel achiness in my other teeth (all the afflicted teeth are on my upper jaw). Note this is not an excruciating ache - more like a dull pressure/ache or a feeling of "This doesn't exactly hurt, but it feels weird". I saw my dentist a few months back for a routine cleaning and she said everything looked and felt fine. My teeth were achey then too.

I've ruled out potential dental issues since said teeth are not affected by things like hot, cold, sweet, sour, brushing or flossing. I have read that sinus headaches can sometimes cause aching in the upper teeth, but I seriously do not think I have a sinus infection (I went through two rounds of potent antibiotics about three months ago because my doctor thought it possibly was a sinus infection - no improvement in the symptoms, so she said I probably have migraines). In any case, I have never heard of migraines causing weirdness in the teeth.

Does anyone else ever feel this due to migraines?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2007, 05:25 AM   #2
    blazegirl
    (female)

blazegirl HB User
    Smile Re: Achey teeth and migraines = related?

Yes! My migraines involve an aching in my upper teeth, jaw and neck. It seems like a weird place for a "headache" but that's what happens to me too.
    My migraines were menstrual migraines caused by birth control-- now that I've gone off bc, they are much better and I'm hoping they'll go away completely.
    Anyway, I hope it helps you to worry less knowing that you're not alone. Hang in there.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:00 AM   #3
    willo1980
    Veteran
    (female)

willo1980 HB User
    Re: Achey teeth and migraines = related?

Aching teeth or jaw is pretty common with migraines. With my migraines, the right side of my face goes numb and tingles. The right side of my jaw, both bottom and top, ache and my teeth get sensitive. I wouldn't worry about it since you've ruled dental problems out. My doctor just said that if the pain or numbness starts going down my neck and shoulders or in my arm, then to go the ER. Hope you find something that works on your migraines.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
    Re: Achey teeth and migraines = related?

Thank you both for the clarification - I feel a bit better about the achiness in my mouth now.

Willo1980,
    The right side of my face and head are also where I'm most afflicted during a migraine. I feel pain and tingling from the top of my head all the way down to the very top of my neck/bottom of my head, around my right eye, my cheek, upper jaw and teeth. My doctor just told me to not officially freak out unless I start having vision problems, hearing problems, loss of coordination, or I lose feeling in one side of my body.

I haven't been able to see my doctor yet about these headaches because the last time I spoke to her was two days before returning to college. Maybe I can see her when I go home next week because I haven't been using anything to combat the pain (I believe, though, my headaches went into remission for a couple months because I felt wonderful for two months and then the pain came back about a month ago).

Closed Thread