It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Is it Migraine or Tension Headache?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2007, 02:32 AM   #1
    Haushinka29
    (female)

Haushinka29 HB User
    Is it Migraine or Tension Headache?

Hullo......newbie here from the UK.

I've been a headache sufferer for about 6 years, and an initial diagnosis of "common migraine" (due to severity of acute attacks) was later changed to "chronic tension headache syndrome" (due to unrelenting dull headache for days on end).

I've compared symptoms, and having treated my headaches as tension related for at least 4 yrs, I'm wondering if they aren't actually migraines after all. But what do I know? These are the symptoms;

Sudden onset with no warning, OR onset triggered by exercise/over exertion/acute stress
    Intense throbbing pain on one or both sides, often centred behind one eye and worsened by movement
    Nausea and sensation of heat
    Some sensitivity to light and smell

Painkillers alone have little effect, whether taken when the attack is developing or after it has taken hold. Naratriptan had no effect at all, although Paramax (paracetemol with a nice sleep-inducing anti-histamine, bliss) was quite good. I can only get that on prescription though, and I've no desire to waste my time on bl**dy doctors anymore. I haven't tried anti-inflammatories for tension headache, as most painkillers apart from paracetemol just make me feel even sicker. I was also prescribed the beta blocker Propanalol as a preventative measure - this has been helpful in reducing the frequency of the attacks, but has not changed their severity.

So.....what's the verdict, do you think? Migraine or tension headache? Any effective over the counter remedies (bearing in mind I am in the UK) that involve no doctors?

Your opinions, comments and suggestions are welcomed! Thank you!

H

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 06:02 AM   #2
    jellebeans
    Veteran
    (female)

jellebeans HB User
    Re: Is it Migraine or Tension Headache?

hi, im in the same situation as you,ive had awful headaches for nearly seven years now after banging my head while pregnant, the pain used to terrify me as i used to think i had something serious and i was going to die!!!
    ive been on all sorts of medication and nothing worked for me,the only thing that helped was going to a migraine clinic where i had injections in my neck and eye.. just under the eyebrow not my actual eye!! which eased the pain for a few weeks but then it would come back again. im not sure what i was injected with but i could only have it done about three times as the more you have the less affect it had.
    ive seen two neuroligists and they say the same ,chronic tension/migraines.
    ive just had to learn to live with it now and just take ibprofen when its really bad.
    you could see if you have a migrane clinic at your hospital and ask your doctor to refer you but the waiting lists for those sort of things are very long.
    i know it can be so frustrating having so much pain so often and have no real answers to why and nothing that really works to take it all away. x

Old 04-20-2007, 06:08 AM   #3
    jellebeans
    Veteran
    (female)

jellebeans HB User

me again!! just a quick idea since you dont like doctors!!! you can pay to have a food allergy test,you can have the kit sent to your home . my mother in law had one done last year as she suffers migraines and it turned out she was intolerant of quite a few foods. she hardly ever get a headache now that she eats certain food.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
    mumindistress
    (female)

mumindistress HB User

hey hau, are you not getting anywhere with the doctors? cus im not, they look at me like im crazy, im in the uk also, i wasnt even offered anything from them, i went to see my dentist who reffered me to a consultant for tmj as i have some of the symptoms who then reffered me onto a neuro, i have gone private though, have my appiontment in just a few weeks...

Old 04-23-2007, 06:41 AM   #5
    jellebeans
    Veteran
    (female)

jellebeans HB User

hi, i went private for ct and mri just for my own peice of mind really as the neuroligist i saw thought i was just a depressed nutcase!!! but he doesnt realise its the headaches that are getting me down, its not being down giving me the headaches!!!!!
    its annoying that we have to pay to get anything done,we shouldnt have to.
    ive given up going to the docs now,im now used to the idea of having these headaches for the rest of my life!

Closed Thread