It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Has anyone tried Cymbalta for Tension Headaches/Migraines Preventative?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-14-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
    cuckoobirdy
    (female)

cuckoobirdy HB User
    Has anyone tried Cymbalta for Tension Headaches/Migraines Preventative?

I have been having headaches for 2 years now.
    Some neuros say menstrual migraines, others tell me stress related.
    I have been on Amitryptyline (sp?) for a couple of months now, and it has helped a lot.
    Recently I ran out of 25mg and took 10mg for a couple of days.
    My daily headaches are back.
    I reported this to my newest neurologist who told me to try Cymbalta.
    Of course I research this med as I have done in the past when I was told to take Topamax and I am terrified to try it.

Does anyone have any experience with Cymbalta for preventing headaches?

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
    janart
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janart HB User
    Re: Has anyone tried Cymbalta for Tension Headaches/Migraines Preventative?

If you haven't done so already ask this question on the depression board, they will help you with the info. Good luck (:

Old 06-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
    cuckoobirdy
    (female)

cuckoobirdy HB User

I am not going to try it.
    I was prescribed it as a migraine preventative - those taking it for depression probably cannot attest to whether it helped their headaches.....

I am done with preventatives for now - too many side effects...

Thanks.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
    1sunny1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

I take Cymbalta for headaches, also for fibromyalgia. It has helped the headaches, but not completely, they just are not as bad as they used to be, and b the way, I have had these headaches for 12 years. I took amtriptaline for a year, it helped completely for a year, then stopped working, and I also gained a lot of weight from it, so I quit. I have no side affects from Cymbalta, and I am not depressed, never was.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
    cuckoobirdy
    (female)

cuckoobirdy HB User

Thank you for the feedback!
    I actually just quit Amitryptiline (Elavil) which I was on for 6 months.
    I gained weight, it made me REALLY tired and I still got headaches especially during my period.

I am on my 4th neurologist and she told me to try Cymbalta, but I won't. For now I will go back to trying to treat the headache when I get it and see how I do. So many doctor's just expect you to keep popping pills without explaining anything about them or taking you seriously if you disagree. I know there is no perfect answer, but I have to try to find some solution that will make things better.

Last edited by cuckoobirdy; 06-16-2007 at 09:59 AM.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
    janart
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janart HB User

Well I've had headaches for years but I've had this one for two weeks. I believe its rebound headache now so nothing is helping. I've had depression for years also and some AD's have helped with the headaches in the past. I'm ready to try it again because this headache is killing me!!

Old 07-14-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User

I was prescribed Cymbalta when I went to the doctro for a migraine, as he said that depression was causing it. It hasn't helped my headaches at all though.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:02 PM   #8
    Jenn4508
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

My doc prescribed Topamax. I have been on it for about 18 months. I haven't really had any side effects. I may still have a migraine but nothing like I use to and very rarely.

I am on cymbalta for depression but am being weened off as I do not think it is working. You may want to check with your doc about the topamax

Old 07-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #9
    janart
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janart HB User

I have read that topamax could make you feel depressed.? My sister n law has felt this way since she started it. I'm not sure if she has any side effects though other than that.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:55 PM   #10
    Mag311
    (female)

Mag311 HB User

I have heard topamax works well for the headaches but has some really serious side effects...like people losing their arms and stuff. So....not a fan of trying that. I am on Klonopin. I know it is an anxiety drug but it has helped with the headaches...and ultram for serious pain. It is a great pain killer and it isn't a downer. Actually perks you up and you get so much done. It is great.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:30 PM   #11
    janart
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janart HB User

hey mag311,
    Can you tell us a little about the klonipan and the side effects you have had??
    Thanks so much.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #12
    Mag311
    (female)

Mag311 HB User

Well Klonopin is a drug they use for anxiety and other type of neurological disorders. I have tremors and I also have tri-geminal nerualgia and then of course migrains. Klonopin I take twice daily and I take one pill in the morning and then one at night. They are a longer acting drug then most and they have worked so well with me that I take them and I don't realize I am taking them. I still get bad headaches...but this drug has helped with the severity and the side effects at first is dizziness and tiredness....but that goes away after your body becomes used to it. It is a drug you can talk to your doctor about. I take very small doses...I think I am on 0.5 mg twice daily....so you don't need too much of this drug.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:28 AM   #13
    janart
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janart HB User

thanks for the info! I think I may be having tmj problems. I've started seeing a chiropractor because my neck was bothering me but I've got all the symptoms of tmj so I guess I will check into that. Thanks again

Old 07-16-2007, 10:29 AM   #14
    Mag311
    (female)

Mag311 HB User

Just my two cents...and you can just take it or leave it...however before you go see a chiroprator make sure you do some research and know what you are getting into. They can be very dangerous...and know they are not doctors at all...they just like to think they are. They have very little knowledgge compared to what a doctor that specializes in TMJ or an orthopedic surgeon. I have had many, many friends who have had their lives ruined by horrible chiros. They can mess things up.

Here is a little sense as to why. Chiros move your bone. You feel great for a few days. HOwever...what keeps you going back to the chiro is the fact that the chiro moves your bone but not the muscle. The muscle is very strong. It will move that bone right back to where it was to begin with. If you get a a good chiro they believe in moving the bone and the muscle at the same time. If they do not believe in this...then they are just looking for money and you are their piggy bank.

Just beware..and be careful I would hate to see another person have their backs and their spine messed up b/c of a chiro. Please understand that your spine is one of the most important parts of your body..it connects everything and you do not want to mess with that.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:40 AM   #15
    Debi5058
    (female)

Debi5058 HB User

I have migraines at my time of the month too. What I do is when I feel the migraine coming on, I start taking Advil Migraine. Does this ever help and you don't have to worry about the wieght gain. They will make you sleepy or drowsy so you get the rest or sleep you need to get ride of the migraine. I also keep and ice pack in the freezer and if need be I put the ice pack on my head lay down in a dark, cool room and take a nap. Man do I ever feel better after that. My migraines use to last three days, they now last maybe a half a day. These are just suggestions to help.

Closed Thread