It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Aura with Migraine (very scary!)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
    Trish1616
    (female)

Trish1616 HB User
    Aura with Migraine (very scary!)

About a month ago, I experienced an aura (still going through tests, but that is what the Dr.'s seem to think that it is). The first episode happened at work, I started to get double vision/severe blurriness while I was on the computer, after a while the double vision went away and about 20 mins later my left hand and lips went numb. I didn't get a headache and all I could attribute my symptoms to at that time was low blood sugar as I hadn't eaten breakfast that morning. The next episode happened again at work, I was on the computer and I started to get double vision/blurriness, my motor skills were weak and I had difficulty formulating thoughts (confusion). It went away in about a half hour. 24 hours later, I got a migraine headache. My doctor seems to think that the symptoms that I described was an aura, although, I am still going through tests to rule other possibilities as a precaution.

I am 27 years old and I have been on the birth control pill for about 10 years. My doctor just recommended me to go off of it, which I did. I also just quit smoking. I have never suffered from migraines before, I have maybe gotten the odd one here or there, but never with an aura. I am wondering if maybe there is a link between birth control pills and migraines? Has anyone ever heard of this or experienced this? If so, why after 10 years of taking oral contraceptives would I begin to get migraines w/ auras? Some insight would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
    Trish1616
    (female)

Trish1616 HB User
    Re: Aura with Migraine (very scary!)

Thanks very much for the insight.

I have gone for a numerous amount of heart and blood tests to rule out stroke and TIAs. All have turned up fine, however, I haven't gone for my MRI as of yet. It is scheduled at the end of the month, so needless to say that I am still a bit worried. I haven't had an 'episode' in over a month so I am feeling a little bit optimistic that it is an aura associated with migraine, but from researching and reading up on my symptoms, I am a little bit concerned about it being a brain tumor (maybe I am being paranoid). What are the symptoms of a brain tumor? Are they similar to my 'episode'? I would think that if I did have a brain tumor my symptoms would be happening on a regular basis and be more consistent. I have read that the symptoms of a brain tumor are headaches upon waking in the morning, projectile vomiting, etc. none of which I have. Thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much,
    T

Old 11-16-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
    Alexandra321
    (female)

Alexandra321 HB User

Oh, auras are very scary, especially if you don't know you're having one!

I was so scared the first time I had one. I actually had blind spots too. It went away after thirty minutes, then came a pounding migraine. I didn't even put the two episodes togther until my boyfriend told me it could have been an aura.

I doubt you have a brain tumor. Like you said, I think the symptoms would be a lot more severe. Having the MRI will put your mind to rest.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
    BioAdoptMom3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

It sounds very similar to the types of migraines I get and yes, going off of the BC pills could be the cause because the levels of hormones in your body have changed. When I get the double vision, then the aura, it takes only 15 minutes after that goes away for the pain in the opposite side of my head to start. I have been on lots of different presciptions but the thing that has helped me the most, and it helps me tremendously, is taking Three Aleve, Motrin or Excedrin along with a Benadryl. I take that with a Coke because I think the caffeine helps as well. I do have to take it though during the aura or its too late. So, you might want to try that combo next time and see if it works for you too.

Nancy

Old 12-05-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

can you guys tell me what happens during a aura ?? i have wondered about this and i still dont understand what it is or what you do during one cause i may have had one but not sure.
    thanks vickie

Old 12-05-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
    Lance0204
    Veteran
    (male)

Lance0204 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vickie45 View Post
    can you guys tell me what happens during a aura ?? i have wondered about this and i still dont understand what it is or what you do during one cause i may have had one but not sure.
    thanks vickie
    aura is a visual disturbance that usually precedes a very strong migraine (typically called a "classical" migraine or type I). it's usually triggered by something. for me, its strenuous activity/anything aerobic lasting for an extended period of time (some say it's linked to not being adequately hydrated but i'm not so sure i buy that).

what happens is that the vision begins to get blurry and distorted. letters in words seem jumbled or not even there at all. then you see a small object that's bright/flashy. typically the object grows until it covers most of my vision, (it looks similar to the "visual purple" that you get when you stay out in bright sunshine for a while then go back inside and all you see is purple). this visual disturbance for me lasts anywhere from 20 min to 45 min. usually it localizes to one side of my visual field. after it subsides, the intense migraine begins. oddly, the migraine pain itself always localizes to the side opposite to that of the aura. if the aura is on the left, the pain will always be on the right, etc. usually the headache becomes strongest once the aura goes away. usually when this happens i have to put an end to my day and just go lie down and try to nap because i basically can't do anything else at all. the after effects usually lasts for another day or two (weakness, no energy, etc.).

if you can identify the cause that helps. for me, i take aspirin before any sporting activity and so far its been working. i can work out/exercise/play sports as long as i want now. i only get it when i forget to take it.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:19 PM   #7
    sparkytc71
    (male)

sparkytc71 HB User
    Cool Re: Aura with Migraine (very scary!)

Hello,
    I have suffered with Complex migraine headaches for nearly 30 years now and what you are describing are stroke like symptoms that are all associated with the Complex Migraine. I have found that Fioricet works great for mine and they would last 20-36 hours at a time starting with the aura then within an hour move to the tingle/numbness of hands/face/lips/tongue etc. I would end up with confusion especially with speaking. I would have to concentrate to get a sentence out correctly. Usually I went to sleep before i got to this point anyway but always had nausea and vomiting with the extreme pain in my head that any movent caused.
    These types of Migraines scared the literal poop out of my for years thinking I was having a stroke. When Imetrex came out I was on the Injections which worked ok but the fioricet was better. I am now 36 and maybe its because of my age now or the medications but my migraines would now only last 2-4 hours and most of the original symptoms are now gone only leaving the aura and a little numbness before the headache came in. But I feel your pain cause those types of Migraines to suck bad...I can say that sleeping through them is the best bet so you dont have to experience the whole deal.. Triggers for any migraine could be a smell, caffine (which actually caffine can help in treatment of a migraine), Foods like cheese or chocolate can also trigger them, and as Lance said Overwork, sports can sometimes...hitting your head or a sudden snap of the neck to one side can start one. There are just soo many "Triggers" its tough to find it. After 30 years almost I know only 2 of my triggers, Too much caffine which i drink caffine free soda an dont drink coffee or eat chocolate, and being overtired. I have other triggers I still dont know of even with my care of trying not to get them but they still do happen approx 1-2 a month though much better than years ago when i was getting 3-5 a week...
    Anywho I hope this helped a little.

Last edited by sparkytc71; 12-18-2007 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Forgot some info

Old 12-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
    upatnite58
    (female)

upatnite58 HB User

hey,

i have to agree with the last poster in most areas. I am 49 yrs. old and have had complex accute migraines since i was 17 yrs old. i am lucky as i only have them about twice a year, but have had 2 in 1 week and have gone 2 yrs without, but the average is twice a year. Obviously i have never found a trigger. i am lucky enough to have the aura each and every time. i say lucky because you can medicate immediately and greatly lessen the severity of the migraine when you have this symptom as an onset.

I also have numbness in the hand and upper facial area (gums and upper lip). Speech is also affected for about 1/2 hr which is the scariest symptom of all. It feels like you are having a stroke. After that the disorientation and confusion (mentally) starts. This may last up to 2 hrs. Then finally the pain hits. Could last 1 day or 3 days, never know.

I have tried just about everything under the sun (including imitrex and anti-eleptics) but the only things that work is either good ol' fashioned aspirin at the onset of the aura, or fiorinal if it's really bad. Key is to medicate at the very first onset (which is the aura) if you can. Also my experience has been (and maybe mine only) is that Tylenol based products do NOTHING! Some of my absolute worst migraines is when i've had nothing else to take in the house but Tylenol. Personnally i will never touch it again.

Please be advised that these are my experiences only, others could be different. But after 30 yrs of the exact same type of migraines, this is what works for me....either plain ol' aspirin if caught soon enough or fiorinal (aspirin based) if not. By that i mean i missed the Aura due to sleep and woke up in the middle...please let me know what works for everyone else.......Lori

Old 12-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
    AnnieGis
    (female)

AnnieGis HB User

I have migraines every couple of months. Because they're so infrequent, it's been really hard for me to find a trigger. I had one yesterday, and I'm blaming it on holiday stress and oversleeping (I'm on vacation), but I honestly can't pinpoint for certain what causes mine. My migraines don't happen during the stressful period - it's always after things have calmed down.

I also have auras, which for me, are worse than the migraines. I also take Fioricet, which seems to help with the severity of the pain. The actual headache only lasts a few hours for me. The aura comes first, lasting for about 20-30 minutes. I start out by seeing blind spots, kinda like the spots you see after having your picture taken. Then letters on the screen or in print disappear. Then I have the zigzagged lines and no peripheral vision. I just lie down because I'm fairly blind by this point. After about 20-30 minutes, the visual disturbance part is over, followed by a few moments of feeling lightheaded. Then, the headache begins. I've had these for 15 years, and the auras still scare me. I handle the headache better than the aura, but at least I know the aura will end in about half an hour.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:24 PM   #10
    upatnite58
    (female)

upatnite58 HB User

Annie,
    Yes, that is a perfect description of the aura. You are lucky you don't have the speech thing..but yes, i'm almost relieved when the pain comes on because all the other symptoms abate. Also, Fiorcet has all the same ingredients as Fiornal except Fiorcet has Tylenol and Fiornal has aspirin. If you can tolerate aspirin, maybe give it a shot. For me if i take it at the onset of the aura, it will kill that immediately, as well as some or most of the pain. That's just me though...

Old 01-01-2008, 08:08 AM   #11
    AnnieGis
    (female)

AnnieGis HB User

So at your first sign of an aura, you just take an aspirin? That's all? I will definitely give it a try, because to me, that's the worst part. Thanks!

Old 01-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
    upatnite58
    (female)

upatnite58 HB User

Hi Annie
    Yes, i have found that if i take 2 aspirin immediately at the very first glimmer of the "aura" that it oftentimes (not everytime) but too often to ignore, stops the aura right in its tracks. i remember one time while i was doing some painting outside in full sun, i started getting those familiar "zigzag lines". i rushed into the house and gobbled two aspirin as fast as i could. Turned out to only be sunspots from the sun...LOL, but thats how fast i move on a potential migraine. And a good number of times..it works. But like i said..that's just me...

Old 01-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
    AnnieGis
    (female)

AnnieGis HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by upatnite58 View Post
    Hi Annie
    Yes, i have found that if i take 2 aspirin immediately at the very first glimmer of the "aura" that it oftentimes (not everytime) but too often to ignore, stops the aura right in its tracks. i remember one time while i was doing some painting outside in full sun, i started getting those familiar "zigzag lines". i rushed into the house and gobbled two aspirin as fast as i could. Turned out to only be sunspots from the sun...LOL, but thats how fast i move on a potential migraine. And a good number of times..it works. But like i said..that's just me...
    It's worth a shot! Thanks!

Closed Thread