It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Nortriptyline question?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2002, 08:32 AM   #1
    mbr22

mbr22 HB User
    Post Nortriptyline question?

I have been taking Nortriptyline (Pamelor) for one month now for chronic daily headache, however it has done nothing for me. Has anyone used this med or similar med (amitriptyline/Elavil), and if so how long did it take for headaches to go away or become less frequent? I want to quit this med and try something else (the side effect of grogginess in the morning doesn't help matters).

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2002, 11:58 AM   #2
    juliebean

juliebean HB User
    Hi,
    I took Elavil for quite a while. It took several weeks to notice anything. I had to take a high dose that really sedated me and then I got hand tremors and had to stop. I'm now taking Neurontin which is a seizure med. It has helped some but not great.

Julie

Old 12-31-2004, 11:57 AM   #3
    EskimoDoll
    (female)

EskimoDoll HB User
    Re: Nortriptyline question?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbr22
    I have been taking Nortriptyline (Pamelor) for one month now for chronic daily headache, however it has done nothing for me. Has anyone used this med or similar med (amitriptyline/Elavil), and if so how long did it take for headaches to go away or become less frequent? I want to quit this med and try something else (the side effect of grogginess in the morning doesn't help matters).

thanks
    I also had CDH. My doctor prescribed various medications, even amitriptyline, before nortriptyline, which worked best for me. Amitriptyline worked at preventing the pain, but make me extra sleepy.
    I know I'm replying to a message that's two years old, but I hope you've found something that works for you.

Old 12-31-2004, 09:42 PM   #4
    JustMeInID
    (female)

JustMeInID HB User

I, too, took amitriptyline for chronic headaches. It worked wonders, but then I noticed that I was gaining weight. A lot of weight. I stopped taking it.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:42 PM   #5
    epettine2002
    (female)

epettine2002 HB User

I took Elavil for quite some time but it does stop working after about a year and it made me so tired that I could not get up in the morning for school.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:31 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

mbr,

I have some ergotamine (as CAFERGOT) in the med chest for emergency relief of cluster headaches (thankfully rare these days.) It's the same family as the trycyclics (and LSD .) I hate the spacey side effects of the ergot but it will stop a headache cold. My sister took it for several years as a prophylactic migraine treatment.

Even stronger and in the same class is SANSERT (methysergide) but taking it every day is just an unbearable woozy haze.

Personally I think the whole drug class of tricyclics (triptamines) should be dumped into the deepest well.

But then having SATAN pushing a power drill bit into your skull isn't any fun either.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-07-2005 at 06:34 AM.

Closed Thread