It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Zanaflex for MAJOR Tension Head/neck aches

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-11-2003, 08:26 PM   #1
    Amosquito

Amosquito HB User
    Post Zanaflex for MAJOR Tension Head/neck aches

I have MAJOR daily tension neck and headache, have for decades, and am currently starting neck physical therapy. This is a description of what happens when I have the PT:

I am getting PT in my neck and it feels ok *when* I get it, but about 3 hours later, even with ICE, my whole head feels awful, the WORST allover major tension headache and migraine feelings too. Even my teeth hurt, and my jaw (I wear a great splint at night, so that's taken care of). The top, sides and all of my head really hurt. The next day, that horrid headache goes mostly away, just pain that is definitely more manageable.

After PT, basically, everything from my neck on up is FIRED up and unbelievable painful. My neck has been SO tense for two decades, so I understand manpulating it - however gently, is going to make things flair, so that's why the Zanaflex for the beginning months.

To those on ZANAFLEX

Does this med. make you feel out of it? Tired, drunk, woozy or anything? I'm getting ready to try it and I took Flexeril once and it was like I had 5 drinks of alcohol - had to just go to sleep. Obviously not a way to live!

Has anyone had tgrouble STOPPING and getting off the Zanaflex when taken for a few months?

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP WITH PERSONAL EXPERIENCE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2003, 06:56 AM   #2
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

If you have a lot of tension in your neck, then this will cause an aggravation, as this tension is caused by stagnation in all the muscles and it is this sudden release of stagnation that then causes the pain.

If I were you I would really go and try some acupuncture treatment to help. It releases the stagnation in a more controlled and energetic way and may not leave you with increased pain as the physical therapy does. This is more physical and harsh, whereas acupuncture will do the same but just a little more gently, but without this aggravation.

Try it and you may be able to decrease you pain meds after a while. It will also make you feel more relax and address some of the issues around why you are getting the tension headaches in the first place. Unfortunately, if you don't treat the cause of a problem you cannot hope to get rid of it. Just treating the symptoms rather than addressing the issues around it will not solve your problems.

Good luck

Closed Thread